shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about black opals

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I have several black opals, or at least what I believe are black opals. When they were given to me, IIRC, I was told they were fire opals. A cursory internet search points me toward black opals, however. I have a necklace, pin and earrings, (which I can't find right now).
The largest, in the necklace, has an unfortunate crack that would render it without much, if any, value, I'm sure.
The opals in the earrings are about the same size as the one in the pictured pin.
They're all custom made, commissioned by my grandmother, by a jeweler in New England with the hallmark 'Mallory', in sterling silver. I believe he, or she, may have worked for Towle silversmiths. Granny was a fan.

Should I sell these? Do they have value? Should I have them appraised before selling? Or just keep them? I know nothing, just like John Snow.

img_15572.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to tell what type of opal you have. The color does look like a black opal but without seeing the back of the setting to see the back of the stone identification is difficult. For example the opals could have been set with a black background to bring out the colors to simulate black opal. It also could be a doublet or triplet in which layers of thinner opals are fused together to enhance the color. The crack is misfortunate as removing the opal from the setting may cause further damage and getting the crack to match up in another piece problematic. The tension of the current setting is holding it in place. As the piece is old and an heirloom, I would polish up the silver and see if you like it any better. You can not use a chemical silver polish (the dip kind) as the chemicals are too harsh for opals. You should use a cream polish. Good luck. I would love to see the set polished up-send pictures.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would take it to a jeweler. My mother in law gave me a ring that was her mother's. It was set in silver and it turned out to be a doublet. My husband has since given two black opals that are not doublets. It is hard to tell what yours are from the photo. My doublet has jelly like top, whereas my real black opals do not. I do not know how to describe it better, but definitely recommend that you take your pieces to a jeweler.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I had a silver cloth and I used to polish the pieces when I wore them. They do shine up nicely. There was a ring at one point as well, but I lost it. I've had the set for years and years and just came upon it again. I no longer prefer the style, the hewn-silver style of the pieces.
The backs are flat, and I do think they are doublets.

I think I'll follow your advice and take them to a smith and have them removed. All except the necklace. Someday.

I hate them sitting around useless. And yet I have no desire to wear them as they are. And also saving for another project that's more important to me. Maybe I'll take them out in a few years and revisit.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi from Australia. Yes, black opals have a dark grey background colour, it is never actually "black". With opals you can also have doublets or triplets as well as a "solid" stone. Doublets and triplets are actually "slivers of Opal" glued together to create a composite Opal. One easy way to identify non solid opals is to view the stone from the side or the back. Opals are valued on their type ie black, crystal, jelly, white as well as colour brightness and range (red and orange are rarer) and pattern type - rolling, flash, pin etc.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think the opals are worth more in the setting, than removing them. And there is a chance you can damage them when removing. If you don't want to wear them anymore, maybe consign them to a jewelry store, or give to a friend who likes them? Unfortunately unless you can prove they are solid opal, may not get much for them.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alybetter|1489310781|4139420 said:
Thanks for your replies. I had a silver cloth and I used to polish the pieces when I wore them. They do shine up nicely. There was a ring at one point as well, but I lost it. I've had the set for years and years and just came upon it again. I no longer prefer the style, the hewn-silver style of the pieces.
The backs are flat, and I do think they are doublets.

I think I'll follow your advice and take them to a smith and have them removed. All except the necklace. Someday.

I hate them sitting around useless. And yet I have no desire to wear them as they are. And also saving for another project that's more important to me. Maybe I'll take them out in a few years and revisit.

Why not list them on loupetroop.com I think they are beautiful and depending on the price, crack or not-would totally look at buying them :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results