shape
carat
color
clarity

questions about Alexandrite

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
My excellent english :D

1. Agree with you - the daylight color is often dark. I think ( and mean) they produce FINE not the finest.

2. Tanzania ( Lake Manyara) often have these cloudy part so it is a difficult decision for the cutter to cut smaller clean stones or a larger with a cloudy part - I have a Sri Lanka Alex ( bought from Dr. Schmetzer - he often buys stones, works about them and sell them
to Munich vendors or collectors like me - I got 3 Sri Lanka Alex) with such a cloudy part - believe me it sucks!! But of course there are larger and cleaner top stones. But without this problem much more.

Try to make some pics.

Indian stones - I remember a dealer in Inhorgenta - hundreds of stones - awesome daylight color ( would be the color for Hematita stones)
but the incandescent color only in a few stones brilliant - but these stones were great looking ( and expensive).

Many russian stones were disappointing - pale grayish green to grayish pink...

My problem in shows - the disco light and often no chance to check the daylight color if you are not interested in buying.

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well, I did see one garnet listed online for sale and it said under treatments that it was heated....I thought it was a mistake. Are garnets being enhanced with heat? Are there other treatments now used to enhance garnets? Yeah, it does burst my bubble as one of the things I love about garnets is that they are so beautiful and always totally natural as they did not accept treatment....until now.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
gemgirl59|1436539048|3901271 said:
Well, I did see one garnet listed online for sale and it said under treatments that it was heated....I thought it was a mistake. Are garnets being enhanced with heat? Are there other treatments now used to enhance garnets? Yeah, it does burst my bubble as one of the things I love about garnets is that they are so beautiful and always totally natural as they did not accept treatment....until now.

Garnets can be heated and clarity enhanced in various ways, yes. For example demantoids are often heated but it isn't detectable yet.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl59|1436539048|3901271 said:

Not to speak for Chrono, but I *think* she was referring to the more devious treatment methods that have been sneaking into the market recently. Clarity enhancements like fillers and oils. Heating has been acceptable for some garnets for a while but its the other more invasive (and undisclosed) treatments that are more of the concern. I'm sure Chrono will weigh in at some point to clarify.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Minou, I was referring to the new-ish and often undisclosed enhancement of garnet.

Sydneyaustralia

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I have this alexandrite, bought in second hand shop, probably vintage. I wasn't able to pic the color bluish green, brownish green in daylight. Everytime i take pictures in daylight it show fuchsia pink. In nightlight change into purple, pink purple,pink. Can someone help me if this real alexandrite please. I attach pic below. 20180614_100624.jpg 20180614_084245.jpg 20180614_202044.jpg 20180614_202118.jpg 20180615_081910.jpg Thanks.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm voting color-change garnet.

Sydneyaustralia

Rough_Rock
I'm voting color-change garnet.
Thanks. But is the garnet also bluish green to brownish green in daylight? I tried to capture but came out on my camera fuchsia .

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lab created vanadium doped synthetic sapphire is my guess.

Uniform stones - the CC is typical for the material.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I tried...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results