shape
carat
color
clarity

Questioning my upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
I recently upgraded my wedding set after 7-8 years. I used to wear a little over 1/4 ct RB in an antique-ish setting.
Together hubby and I picked out 3 stone emerald cut with PR. cuts in the band. I was completely new to diamonds, Hubby used to manage pawn shops and knew more about them. But I wanted a ring that he would pick for me if I were not shopping with him,And he asked the jeweler to see emerald cuts,Which I had never seen before,but when I did loved it and loved the idea he picked it. But now I am wondering if I/we made the right choice. First of all I have experienced shrinkage,My E-ring is 1.5 tcw and I have a matching 1/2 ct PR. cut band. (.05ct center and (2) 1/4 ct sides in emerald cuts). I was thinking maybe I just wanted a bigger center, but went and tried on my ring in a 2 tcw and it was just too big on my hands. I wear a size 5 ring but have small hands. Now I am just wondering if I should go with a 3 stone of RB''s. being that I am a pretty traditional gal, and I kinda miss the fire of a round,but still love the glitter of my emeralds. I may be dwelling on this too much, And maybe its just because I dont really have anyone to show it off to. Other than on the computer, I have only had 1 complient. and its not that I want to be flashy, Its just that I want this to be a ring that I am proud of for a lifetime. I am going to try to give it a little more exposure, This weekend getting hair done. And April 8 th taking a vacation to Florida. If I dont feel better about it by then,I am going to look at something else.
What does everone else think? oppinions recomendations Please ! I am sorry to babble on for so long, and hope my post is understandable. I have posted my set on another thread ,but will post it again to refresh your memories.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Ok, we''re definately going to need photos. I am sure your set is lovely. Some people (not me) feel awkward commenting on bling... I''m sure your set is gorgeous!

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
oops forgot the pic''s

My Ring 3.JPG

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
26.gif

emmy.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think your set is breathtaking. I think emerald cuts are among the most elegant and timeless cuts of all. But you are ultimately the one who should LOVE it, not just like it. I think you have the right attitude of just wearing it around awhile longer to see how you feel about it over time. It takes time to get used to an unfamiliar look on your hand.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Personally I think your new rings are just gorgeous and the size looks perfect on your hand! It is normal to question your decision after making such a major purchase. There are so many beautiful rings out there to choose from that it is easy to think about wanting something different. Keep in mind that you wanted a ring that your husband also liked and you wanted him involved in the decision. Just give it some time before you make any rash changes. Remember you can always have different rings for your right hand. As for compliments, remember that not everyone else out there in the real world is as diamond crazy as we are here on pricescope. If you need to hear how fabulous your rings are you just post them right here and we will ooh and aah over them, because they are just so gosh darn pretty!!!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to everything KristyDarling and Sundial said. It''s a beautiful ring, and for 3-stone rings I think emerald cuts are one of my favorites.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a beautiful set! Don''t worry about not getting compliments from people - they''re probably envious and deliberately aren''t saying anything just to rain on your parade.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I hope you start to love your rings! They are gorgeous!! If I saw you somewhere I would definately compliment you on them. Congrats on a great upgrade!

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
That is PERFECTION on your hand. Seriously, no need to change a THING!!! I woudl DEFINATELY comment if I saw you in person!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is perfect! So elegant and stunning!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Please don''t change it...you will regret it. I have always wanted a 3-stone emerald cut ring. I am only 24, but my fiance has mentioned getting something like that for me for our five or ten-year anniversary. You are so lucky!!! I think you are just experiencing buyer''s remorse. Take some time and let it grow on you. I had buyer''s remorse about my cushion halo, and now I absolutley love it! ENJOY!!!
36.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks lovely on your hand.
30.gif

I would give it a little while longer to make sure you want something else. And if you still are not completely happy then, I would start looking. Just don''t jump into anything before you really know you will love it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your ring set is a classic, timeless, beauty, don''t change a thing. I''m sure you''ll get more compliments the more you wear it!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think your rings are absolutely gorgeous! I totally love emerald cuts... so classic! But, you need to love your rings, of course!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! I think that is absoultely wonderful!!! I think it a great set!!! My vote would be to keep it. But you have to do what makes you happy!

It is so beautiful though!!

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Hi jokerselsa,

I saw your set posted on DT - I think it''s beautiful and very lovely on your hand. Due to the cut and lack of brilliance I think a lot of people overlook the beauty of an emerald cut. A RB of the same size would be easier to notice on a lady''s hand because of all the sparkle it''s throwing off - sometimes an EC needs a closer look. That said, I am sure people notice your set! I don''t know where you''re from but PS rings are not the norm - a set like yours is probably considered very big and elaborate depending on where you live. Sometimes that puts people off from complimenting, even if they notice how pretty it is. Is there anything specific you dislike about your rings? (ie the chunkier bands, princess next to EC, etc) If so, I would consider tweaking those things before starting from scratch on a new ring. If you''re sure its RBs you want, I say listen to your gut, but really think about it before you anything. Good luck.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I completely agree with everyone else, keep it! (I am biased since I''m a fellow emerald cut owner!)

And if you decide you don''t want it . . . um, can I have it?
31.gif

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
I want to say a big thank you to EVERYONE,You all have made me feel so much better. I just think I am crazy and sometimes get so mad at myself, I have a wonderful husband who takes such good care of me, and here I am Questioning this beautiful set he bought me
20.gif

But I just want to be as proud of my ring. As I am proud of my husband who it symbolizes.
I really dont know whats wrong with me, some days I look at it and just cant believe its beauty,other days I question it.

And Singer, you are probably right, Its just buyers remorse, and I need to wear them longer.
I promise to take everyones advice and not make any rash decisions
38.gif
.And plan to try and give it more exposure.

Sarita, I live in Columbus, Ohio, and am not sure, but from what I have seen others wearing, think that mine is Lg. average.
And I have thought about just changing the setting,and sometimes think if the bands were thinner the emeralds would show better,and it would make it look more delicate. I also asked the jeweler about changing the tips of the prongs(making them smaller), But was told that would weaken the setting, and I still have a love/hate relationship with them. I do like the PR. cuts in the band though, they add some fire.
28.gif

Lizz, your ring is so gorgeous, you dont need mine.....LOL
25.gif

35.gif
I want to thank ALL of you again, for being sooo nice and helpful to me, and hope none of you think I have completly fallen off my rocker. anymore oppinions or sugestions, good or bad,Please let me know.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Jokerselsa-

First of all, I want to tell you that I think your set is absolutely gorgeous!! I am an EC addict- I love them and would choose them over a round ANYDAY. Someone said before that they lack any brilliance, and to me, that is totally not true. EC''s sparkle and are brilliant in their own way- they are totally understated. You either love the look of an EC or you dont, that is the bottom line. When I look into an emerald cut I see beauty that I personally can''t see in any other cuts. Nothing else quite does it for me the same way...

That being said, I think you should wear your set a little longer, and see if it grows on you...if not, then it may be time to look for something else. Maybe, to your eyes, you would prefer the sparkle/brilliance of a round or other shape vs. the emerald. And that''s ok! I also think that you should base your decision on what YOU feel personally, not on how many complememts you get on it on any given day.

I have an EC solitaire, and I LOVE MY RING. It wouldnt matter to me at all if I never got a complement on it- honestly, it is nice for someone to complement and makes me feel good, but bottom line is I dont care...I know that I love what I am wearing and wouldn''t change it for the world. I hope that you can feel this way about whatever ring you decide to choose in the end...

Good luck!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say again how beautiful your set is, but I do question what your jeweler said about making the prongs smaller. They are rather large in proportion to the stones (although I didn''t notice that the first time around
2.gif
), and I don''t see why they couldn''t be shaved down a little bit. Some rings on PS have VERY small prongs, and they don''t seem to have any complications. I would get a second opinion on that one. You might love your ring more if the prongs were more delicate. Hope this helps! Even if you don''t get them shaved down a little, it is still a gorgeous, sophisticated set. Enjoy it!
1.gif

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
Thank you singer, I do plan on getting another opppinion on my prongs.
But think sarita hit the nail on the head when she mentioned that maybe it was the chunkier bands. I think I might just want it to look more delicate,and think thinner bands would probably highlight the center stones better. but I am still not making any sudden decisions,and plan to wear it to the beauty salon, and on vacation with pride.
26.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
You''re hangin with the wrong crowd.
11.gif
We''re your REAL friends.
31.gif
We WANT to see your bling.
1.gif

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
9.gif
Thank you moon river, And what terrific friends you are. You all have made me feel so much better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful ring and what you are feeling is quite understandable, many of us do it when we have commited to a diamond or a ring with such a huge choice out there, but EC''s are so classic and fabulous, they are appropriate anywhere! You don''t get the flash and the bang of a round, but a more understated elegance which is just as lovely in it''s own right! I hope to own an EC one day and I am mainly a round lover!

Enjoy your rings!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 9:29:51 PM
Author: moon river
You''re hangin with the wrong crowd.
11.gif
We''re your REAL friends.
31.gif
We WANT to see your bling.
1.gif
LOL!! Moon...You crack me up
9.gif

Seriously, Jokerselsa...You''re EC is goreous. I would love an EC someday too
36.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if anyone else feels this way but sometimes it is hard to see other women''s rings. I would love to ask every woman alive to see her rings but I feel self conscious asking.

That being said, I think the most important thing is that YOU love your set and not worry about what other people think. If you don''t, at some point make the necessary changes. But if you do, enjoy it!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
You know, sometimes I look at my cushion cut solitaire with the pave and think I want to immediately change the stone or change the setting or whatever, but I have had some great advice here on PS and you are getting some great advice here, too. They all told me to wait and wear it more and that is what has been told to you as well. I think we, as women, see other women''s rings and get captivated by the ''oo''s and ''aah''s and feel a little like maybe we should have gone that direction.

I know for me, I have had to re-calculate what I already have--a beautiful 3 ring wedding/e-ring set with beautiful pave and an amazing 1.21 cushion center stone, a recent pendant purchase from my husband with pave, and a 5 carat tennis bracelet. No, my wedding/e-ring set may not be the biggest or brightest out there, but it sure sparkles and its mine.

I do plan to upgrade, but I do not allow myself to go there mentally or I loss fact that I currently have a lovely set on my hand.Your EC is stunning and you may not receive the compliments you want because others may be too awestruck or not really appreciate its beauty. Nonetheless, enjoy them!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear you are going to get a second opinion about the prongs, because they''re really the only thing that stood out to me as a negative. I think the design of the 3 stone EC ring is gorgeous, as is the diamond band, but the prongs are out of proportion with the stones and ring. What if you matched the ering with a thinner wedding band?

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous! Emerald cuts are what I describe as understated elegance and very classic and sophisticated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results