shape
carat
color
clarity

question regarding switching of diamonds when getting them cleaned

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hello everyone,

i''ve read about how diamond switching isn''t very rare. when you take your diamond in to get it cleaned you may walk out with a different diamond than what you had earlier. how does one protect against this evil deed? i am aware that one should get to know their diamond like their back of their hand, but if one has a vvs1 quality stone, how do you know? does laser inscribing the girdle with something help in the identification process? i haven''t had this happen to me but i am curious how to be prepared for something like that. thanks for the replies!

jason

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hi dave,

thanks for the reply...i read somewhere online (i dont remember where) about the process of cleaning your diamond. that website said that it is a very real threat that someone could exchange your diamond out for another. i also went browsing a local b&m store and the man there mentioned something to this effect...if you ever bring your diamond here for a cleaning rest assured that we won''t try and switch out stones. also, i remember reading on another place that one shouldn''t leave a diamond overnight at a jeweler for a cleaning, i suppose it would offer him more time to switch it out? it does make sense the way you put it regarding how much work it would take to reset another diamond. i suppose it isn''t that common to swipe diamonds
36.gif
once i purchase an diamond online i guess im just wondering about building good relationships with a local jeweler.

oh by the way, is it worth the extra money to laser inscribe a girdle?

jason

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
viscera912,

I've been selling diamonds for six years online. Of the thousands of diamonds we've sold I've never once had a customer call me back and tell me their diamond was switched. That means either switching is very rare or customers never buy from me twice. My bet is it's the former :)

Is it worth the extra money to get an inscription? Sure, why not. Doesn't really cost more than about $100 once you figure in the extra shipping charges back and forth to someone like Dave Atlas. $100 is a bargain if it gives you peace of mind about such a major purchase...

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi-
Yes, do get to know your diamond very well.
Yes, laser inscriptions verified before and after and pointed out to the person cleaning the stone is a great deterrent too.
When I've taken my stone to get cleaned, I am usually complimented on how beautiful it is and even though I have
memorized my diamond's laser inscription, average diameter, crown and pavillion angles, table size, depth, clarity and color....I decided not to appear "nuts" by reiterating all the diamond's specs everytime I went for a cleaning. Sooooo, rather than be paranoid about switching, I just decided to get a Salton Jewelry spa. Now if my other personality switches the diamond, well....
2.gif

One thing I can tell you is that the jeweler would need to have in stock, ready for setting a diamond roughly your stone's diameter, color and weight, have the setter ready to do it very quickly and smooth and if the setting is white gold, re-rhodium plate the prongs,etc. All this to say, it's really more unlikely that a stone would be switched out during cleaning, especially if it is a reputable place. I just got sick of all the paranoia on my end and said, screw it, I'll just do it myself. It just isn't worth all the rolaids!!!
9.gif

Luv

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
LOL!!!! Yes, Feydakin-I am whacko about my stone.
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results