shape
carat
color
clarity

Question Regarding Ring’s Authenticity

Katherine

Rough_Rock
Hello, first time poster here!

First off, I want to say that Pricescope has been invaluable in my fiance and I’s search for an engagement ring. With the knowledge gained through this site, we were able to find the best deal on a quality diamond at a local reputable store. However, I have some doubts regarding the stone’s authenticity. I noticed that my diamond fogs up when doing the “huff test”. I remember reading that genuine diamonds do not hold fog as long as cubic zirconia. So, I compared my ring side-by-side with a CZ earing I have, and I found that they both hold fog for the same amount of time, and sometimes the ring stays foggy even longer than the CZ!

Am I just being ridiculous and skeptical because the only diamonds I have ever seen up close before now were from a mall chain, and i’m just not used to seeing a very well cut diamond? It’s true that I have never seen a diamond as brilliant as this one, and I know this is terrible, but, I can’t tell the difference between my ring and my fake earings. :( According to the GIA certification it came with, it is an H SI1, which makes me think I should at least be able to see one inclusion, or some warmth in the stone. I can’t see any, and it looks just as white as my CZ, which I didn’t think was possible. Is there any chance the jeweler got ripped off, or made a mistake, or the certification is fake?

I should mention that the ring came with one free year of insurance through Jewelers Mutual. Surely an insurance company wouldn’t insure a fake, right?

I’m sorry for sounding paranoid. I just don’t want my fiance to have paid for a diamond, only to have it turn out not to be one! Thank you in advance for any replies. I really appreciate your taking time out to read this.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is the diamond laser inscribed?

Katherine

Rough_Rock
I don't believe it is. That sounds like something worth looking into though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeweler's Mutual is insuring what has been represented to them on paper. They aren't evaluating the diamond. You need to go tomorrow to any reputable jewelry store that does appraisals and ask them to just verify that the diamond is as represented in the lab report. I wouldn't put a bit of confidence in a "huff test". I would hope he didn't buy a diamond from a store that does not have an outstanding reputation, because that is the best way to protect yourself from being taken.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I've found that when diamonds are dirty (esp greasy) they will often fail the "huff" test. Scrub with dish soap and water and try again. A diamond will also feel cold when you touch it to your lips. Compare with the CZ again after you've cleaned them both.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The fog test is not super reliable.

Quick and dirty way to most often tell a round briliant CZ from a round brilliant diamond. Look at the girdle- that is, the edge of the stone- with a loupe or a magnifying glass. Is it polished completely, smooth with no facets? CZs are the only stones finished that way usually. A round brilliant diamond cut now is most likely to have a polished, *faceted* girdle- that is there are teeny tiny flat facets on the edge. A few diamonds (especially older ones) are finished with a frosted, unfaceted girdle called a "bruted girdle"- but the finish is opaque and frosty looking, not like the smooth perfectly polished CZ girdle finishing. Now, it's possible I suppose that there might be a diamond or two out there with a polished but unfaceted girdle, but I've never seen one- and every round CZ I've ever seen *is* finished like that.

That being said, just go to a jeweler, any jeweler, and ask them to test it. They'll do it for free I'm sure.

Note: looking at the girdle doesn't work for ANY cut except round. A princess cut CZ and a princess cut diamond are finished the same, and same with other straight sided stones.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Take a piece of paper, put a little dot or line of pencil or pen on it. Put your diamond table down on top of the paper. You should not be able to see the line or dot through the diamond. This works with moissanite and diamond. With a CZ, you can see the mark on the paper through the pavilion of the stone.

Some diamonds have polished girdles, so that is not always the best test, but if you run your finger nail along the girdle of a CZ, it feels very smooth and mirror like.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take it to get appraised before the return period is up. That way you no either way and have the ability to still return it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Katherine|1305481070|2922420 said:
Hello, first time poster here!

First off, I want to say that Pricescope has been invaluable in my fiance and I’s search for an engagement ring. With the knowledge gained through this site, we were able to find the best deal on a quality diamond at a local reputable store. However, I have some doubts regarding the stone’s authenticity. I noticed that my diamond fogs up when doing the “huff test”. I remember reading that genuine diamonds do not hold fog as long as cubic zirconia. So, I compared my ring side-by-side with a CZ earing I have, and I found that they both hold fog for the same amount of time, and sometimes the ring stays foggy even longer than the CZ!

Am I just being ridiculous and skeptical because the only diamonds I have ever seen up close before now were from a mall chain, and i’m just not used to seeing a very well cut diamond? It’s true that I have never seen a diamond as brilliant as this one, and I know this is terrible, but, I can’t tell the difference between my ring and my fake earings. :( According to the GIA certification it came with, it is an H SI1, which makes me think I should at least be able to see one inclusion, or some warmth in the stone. I can’t see any, and it looks just as white as my CZ, which I didn’t think was possible. Is there any chance the jeweler got ripped off, or made a mistake, or the certification is fake?

I should mention that the ring came with one free year of insurance through Jewelers Mutual. Surely an insurance company wouldn’t insure a fake, right?

I’m sorry for sounding paranoid. I just don’t want my fiance to have paid for a diamond, only to have it turn out not to be one! Thank you in advance for any replies. I really appreciate your taking time out to read this.
It's not all that difficult to tell the difference between diamonds and CZ but the 'fog test' is NOT a reliable way to do it. Show it to a capable appraiser or a jeweler (these are not the same by the way). Either one should be able to answer this question easilly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results