shape
carat
color
clarity

question regarding Rap Report and radiant stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me if the Rap report has prices for all fancy stones, including radiants? If the report does not have a category for radiant stones, then what would a jeweler use for comparision? Would they use marquis, emerald or princess? I know that round stones are the most expensive. In terms of fancy cuts, is one type of stone more expensive per carat then another? Thanks. Joy

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pear

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Consider the numbers on the Rapaport Report Sheets to be a secret code. You don''t have the special decoder ring. Only diamond dealers have the code and it get changed every once in a while without any particular apparent reason or advance notice.

All fancy shapes are sold based on percentages off the Pear Shape sheet. No one in the trade used the marquie or princess sheets and they were recently discontinued. Different shapes command differing discounts off the sheet. It depends on supply and demand in the market. Knowing the numbers on a Rap Sheet can be as helpful to a dealer as they are useless to a novice consumer. There is a huge gap in knowledge of the market. Consumers armed with Rap Sheets are the equivalent of carry a loaded gun without any knowledge of its safe use. You are more likely to hurt someone than to defend yourself under those circumstances.

Since you cannot determine the best value of a diamond by only comparing shape, weight, color and clarity you cannot successfully use a Rap Sheet to shortcut the learning curve. I know we talk about the 4 C''s as the roadmap to diamond value, but it is a lot more complicated than just those 4 C''s. The devil is in the details!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2007 4:11:51 PM
Author: oldminer
Consider the numbers on the Rapaport Report Sheets to be a secret code. You don''t have the special decoder ring. Only diamond dealers have the code and it get changed every once in a while without any particular apparent reason or advance notice.

All fancy shapes are sold based on percentages off the Pear Shape sheet. No one in the trade used the marquie or princess sheets and they were recently discontinued. Different shapes command differing discounts off the sheet. It depends on supply and demand in the market. Knowing the numbers on a Rap Sheet can be as helpful to a dealer as they are useless to a novice consumer. There is a huge gap in knowledge of the market. Consumers armed with Rap Sheets are the equivalent of carry a loaded gun without any knowledge of its safe use. You are more likely to hurt someone than to defend yourself under those circumstances.

Since you cannot determine the best value of a diamond by only comparing shape, weight, color and clarity you cannot successfully use a Rap Sheet to shortcut the learning curve. I know we talk about the 4 C''s as the roadmap to diamond value, but it is a lot more complicated than just those 4 C''s. The devil is in the details!
Well said and extremely well detailed!!!
I want to comment on one point only: not all Diamonds are discounted off the sheet.... some pay-up premiums... and that makes it "double" confusing or useless to any type of consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results