clarity

Question Regarding Octagon Cut Garnet

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I am considering purchasing the Octagon Cut Garnet in this link:
http://litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=8987&id=38648
I am wondering if it is common for segments of the stone to show darker in a octagon cut, like in the pictures, or should I keep looking?
I have mostly rounds right now, and I'm not sure what to look for in a octagon cut.
Thanks!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
2Neezers|1395265926|3637532 said:
Hello,
I am considering purchasing the Octagon Cut Garnet in this link:
http://litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=8987&id=38648
I am wondering if it is common for segments of the stone to show darker in a octagon cut, like in the pictures, or should I keep looking?
I have mostly rounds right now, and I'm not sure what to look for in a octagon cut.
Thanks!

This is common in any cut which has broad pavilion facets lying directly opposite each other. Step cuts like this always have broad opposing facets and so at certain distances from the viewers head they will show opposing dark areas. Those pictures are kind of interesting in that the dark areas running N-S which is expected since the viewers head and body run vertically as well. Notice the bright arrows running E-W. Those are from light coming around the photographers body/head and being reflected back at the camera. Remember that these pictures only show dark spots which occur at certain viewing distances from the stone. In a bright room, from 5 feet away you'd never see them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Step cuts aren't the kindest to most coloured stones and can show a lot of contrast (bright and dark areas).

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Michael E. and Chrono for explaining step cuts to me!
It was very helpful :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But keep in mind that light return on the various facets will vary and change as you move the stone...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results