shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding inventory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Greetings!
I have been educating myself on this website for two weeks - you guys "rock"
appl.gif

I''ve been a very good girl, and Santa is coming early this year - I am hanging up my 1.5 carat and upgrading to a 4 carat round. I am dealing with someone locally, and have been (desparately!) trying to contact Whiteflash - they show a 4 carat on their website, but no one has called me back to confirm that they even have this particular stone.
Question: Let''s say "John Doe Diamonds" shows 50 stones in their online inventory. Do they actually own all 50? Or are they obtaining these from someone else? What is the markup/commission they pay on the diamond?

Thanks!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many online vendors carry a 'virtual' inventory, where they have access to the same stones that many other vendors have access to. If a customer is interested, they call the wholesaler/owner and call the stone in to be looked at either by the consumer themselves (usually offline) or by the vendor on the consumer's behalf.

Some other companies carry actual stones in their inventory, so pretty much in-stock. These may be stones cut specifically for them (e.g. WF's ACA branded line) or a brand that only they carry (e.g. GOG is the only online vendor for Regents) or stones that they need to run tests on to ensure they are only selling top quality, or similar.

There are also companies that carry BOTH. For example WF carries ACA's which is their own line, and also they have virtual inventory. GOG carries his own stones, but also has brokered H&A's that are not in-house.

So in essence, it really depends on who you are talking about and what you are looking for
1.gif
Chances are unless the WF stone you found is an ACA, then it's a virtual stone that they may not have in-house...yet. I would see if you can call Denise or Lesley and get them on the phone to discuss the stone.

How FUN!! An upgrade from 1.5c to 4c is HUGE! Please keep us posted on your progress and selections, as I am sure many will want to join in on this thread!
1.gif

Congrats and good luck.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Question: Let's say 'John Doe Diamonds' shows 50 stones in their online inventory. Do they actually own all 50? Or are they obtaining these from someone else? What is the markup/commission they pay on the diamond?

Thanks!!
1.gif

Mara is on top of things and gives you sound advice...Some vendors don't have any stones "in house"..The virtual data-base can contain multiple stones from many different wholsalers.....

Please keep us updated on the whopper 4 ct....

9.gif

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
Hey I know almost nothing about Diamonds but.. if you are splashing that kind of cash you may want to wait until after the silly season. Dealers will restock in Jan/Feb and will have much more time for you then. On such a large purchase you should be able to receive a lot of personal attention AND still be able to haggle.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/1/2003 10:54:12 PM knowverylittle wrote:

Hey I know almost nothing about Diamonds but.. if you are splashing that kind of cash you may want to wait until after the silly season. Dealers will restock in Jan/Feb and will have much more time for you then. On such a large purchase you should be able to receive a lot of personal attention AND still be able to haggle.
----------------

I'm not 100% certain about this.....but I disagree. This IS the busiest time for diamond brokers......from now through Valentine's Day. Most of them have (or are in the midst of) beefing their stock NOW in anticipation of the holiday sales flurry.......more available means more to sell in "prime time".

This I'm nearly 100% certain about: You won't get any great "haggle" opportunities (if any) until after Valentine's day...and you can put that in the bank.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In my opinion and from rumors going on in the diamond industry ,supply of larger stones such as 2.00Up will be scarce in the next year, As debeers have not given the allocation of rough diamonds that they used to give,to many of their customers ,in fact they have cancled the monthly supply to many of them that have been with them for 20years and more.Now these people will have to go out to the open market and purchase the rough at a higher price since they are not getting it from the source anymore, thus making the
the prices of the polished goods higher.

these are just ruomors,but the fact is that they(debeers ) have cut down on many prominent customers , will have some affect on the industry and prices.

Let's say "John Doe Diamonds" shows 50 stones in their online inventory. Do they actually own all 50? Or are they obtaining these from someone else? What is the markup/commission they pay on the diamond?

markup or commision is really an individual thing with each site, just like different stores offer similar stones for different prices,Many online companies own their inventory with an added data from other dealers or cutters that have allowed them to post their stones.and this data is shared by many .

good luck

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Interesting rumor, DM! Nice Ice reported last spring about the shortage of 1.25 carat rough. Will be interesting to see if the 2+ rough story is true.
4.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I agree we shall wait and see.only time will tell. but these are the rumors,and we are starting to see a very large demand for these 2.00cts. and up (polished diamonds)
already, don't know if tis the season?, or the rumor have started to happen
confused.gif
by the way 1.25 polished are very scarce and bring in top dollars when they are available.

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
Will the weak dollar increase Diamond prices in the longer term? From memory it has fallen around 30% in the last year or two.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
you mean the $ have fallen , not diamonds,I don't know what effect that has on it , all I know is that diamonds are on the rise a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results