shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding inclusions: Indented Natural and Natural

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Orchidian

Rough_Rock
So I read the definition of what an indented natural and a natural are with regards to inclusions. The definition sounds pretty bad. I don''t like the idea of there being a small portion of the original rough diamond left unpolished. Why does that happen? Also, how bad is it to have that as a part of the inclusion on a particular diamond?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think naturals are some of the most interesting features of diamond polish and clarity. Naturals and indented naturals happen most often around the girdle of the diamond. They don't usually effect the brilliance negatively unless they are large and encroach on facets. Often times by keeping naturals on the stone the cutter can often retain more weight with minimal effect on the appearance. I have even heard leaving naturals on the girdle can be a mark of excellent cutting.

Generally they are no problem, but you would probably want them checked out by an expert to make sure an indented natural doesn't leave the girdle too thin and prone to chipping.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 1:52:19 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
I think naturals are some of the most interesting features of diamond polish and clarity. Naturals and indented naturals happen most often around the girdle of the diamond. They don''t usually effect the brilliance negatively unless they are large and encroach on facets. Often times by keeping naturals on the stone the cutter can often retain more weight with minimal effect on the appearance. I have even heard leaving naturals on the girdle can be a mark of excellent cutting.

Generally they are no problem, but you would probably want them checked out by an expert to make sure an indented natural doesn''t leave the girdle too thin and prone to chipping.
Ditto Jonathan.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 1:52:19 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
I think naturals are some of the most interesting features of diamond polish and clarity. Naturals and indented naturals happen most often around the girdle of the diamond. They don''t usually effect the brilliance negatively unless they are large and encroach on facets. Often times by keeping naturals on the stone the cutter can often retain more weight with minimal effect on the appearance. I have even heard leaving naturals on the girdle can be a mark of excellent cutting.

Generally they are no problem, but you would probably want them checked out by an expert to make sure an indented natural doesn''t leave the girdle too thin and prone to chipping.
Naturals are most often retained when a diamond would fall into a lower weight category without them e.g. 1.00, 2.00, 3.00 where the diamond would become 0.99 carat or 1.9+ or 2.9+ carat if the naturals were polished away and thereby become significantly less in value as trade prices jump up at 1 carat, 2 carat, 3 carat etc
What is the weight of the diamond you are considering?

Orchidian

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for responding and educating me! The ct weight of the diamond I am considering is 1.67.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results