shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding having an internet diamond set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Angela_ds

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''ve been lurking for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge and buy off the internet....you can''t beat the value.
So I have my eye on a little beauty at dirtcheap and there is also a setting there I like. But Im confused as to whether i should order them together? Will the diamond come set? Can an appraiser appraise a set diamond? If I get the stone and setting separately, how do I find someone to put them together for me? I live in San Francisco, and every appraiser and jeweler I''ve contacted have been really rude when I mention I''m buying my diamond online!!
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
sad.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You can go several ways in your situation.

If a Sarin has already been run on the diamond, and you have sufficient pics, etc, DCD can set the diamond for you. An experienced appraiser such as the ones that post on PS can easily evaluate the stone in the setting. You will get a complete ring appaisal that way as well.

You can have the diamond and setting shipped to the appraiser. After the appraiser evaluates the diamond, most can arrange to have the diamond set for you.

You can have the diamond shipped to your appraiser. After the diamond is evaluated, you can have the diamond sent back to DCD for mounting. Then you will need to have the finished ring appraised.

You just have to decide what works for you. What suits your comfort level.

I personally had the Vendor set my diamond and had the ring appraised afterward.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
PQ is right, and there is one more option. If you have the diamond sent to an appraiser and then returned to the vendor for setting, some appraisers will update the appraisal for the finished piece if you can send the the details and a digital picture. To me, that covers everything you'll need, you get to pick the appraiser of your choice, and you get the stone set by the vendor, who should guarantee the setting process.

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Ahh, you have discoverd the problems alot of people who buy online only discover...the problem of stone setting.

There are a few different breeds of people out there. Some jewelers view other Jewelers as competition, others know that sharing info helps everyone out and promotes trust. The internet has changed things quite a bit of course espeicaly for jewlery, Alot of old school jewelers are very cross if you mention you bought someting from online, the basic thought is...why am I not good enough to do business with? unless its for setting?
expect to pay a really high price with most jewelers to set the stone as they have to make up for your choice somehow...at least that is the though. Also the liability. If the stone breaks and they are charging anywhere from $10 to $100 to set the stone...on an expensive stone who covers it if its dammaged? how many more stones must be set to make up for that...it can ruin you if your not careful. If they offer a setting service take advantage of it. That way if they break it, its there problem, not yours. On that same note. if they offer a generic setting...dont bother, go to a local jeweler and pick out a setting, dont tell them you got the stone online. Just say you have a stone. play the sales game backwards, let em think its an inheritence, or from a freind who recently was divorced or who knows what, people have lose stones for all kinds of reasons.

Ironicaly enough I have had people buy product from our company online, and come into our store wanting it set not knowing that they bought it from us. That was just funny

karenb

Rough_Rock
David,

What did you mean "setting service" as opposed to "generic setting"?

Just wondering...shouldn't any jeweler who states they are qualified to set your diamond have insurance against damage; thereby, protecting the owner from liability?

Im not sure how that works, but would love to hear more on this subject... Like Angela, I will be purchacing mine online and wondering about the setting process.
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Insurance against breakage while setting? That would be nice, but I have never heard of such a thing to realistically protect jewelers unfortunately.

No, setting a stone always involves risks, even if miniscule ones. The retail stone vendor already accepts this risk and has dialed it into his price, as they wouldn't get far in the retail market selling only loose stones! Most jewelers who are selling or designing mountings will set loose stones for the same reason, although not all will guarantee them.
No local jeweler, however, is willing to take the hit for breaking a $10k diamond on the profit from a $50 job for setting labor!

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
>>

Unfortunatly not, its a liability, sure anyone can set the stone who is qualified...but that does not mean one wants to do it all the time chargeing $35 to $100 for doing it, if a 1k to 20k stone goes...thats alot more setting to make up for the replacement. All stones risk some breakage as anyting is possible. Its a turst thing, I know I can count on stones from the dealers I have worked with for years to always be a good stone. A stone from an unknown source or "off the street" would have unknowns too it. I will be setting a .86 princess cut myself tomarrow, I doubt I will have any problems with it but its one of those things to be mindful of. However since this customer purchased the stone from my firm, of course I dont mind setting it, I turst my dealers and the quality they provide.

Its a good idea when buying a stone to get the stone from the same place you are getting the mounting from. Alot of people overlook designers as a source of good stones and exeptional prices. As manufacturers we get better deals than the public...including the online sources. We get stones from the same place they do, hence why you can find certified diamond numbers for sale at different prices on different sites for the same stone.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 3/2/2004 5:25:47 AM DavidEmslie wrote:

>>

Its a good idea when buying a stone to get the stone from the same place you are getting the mounting from. Alot of people overlook designers as a source of good stones and exeptional prices. As manufacturers we get better deals than the public...including the online sources. We get stones from the same place they do, hence why you can find certified diamond numbers for sale at different prices on different sites for the same stone.

----------------

I'm glad to hear you mention this, David. I am discussing a custom setting with a designer local to me. His workmanship is excellent, but I was worried about having him get the stones for me (I'm pretty picky). He quoted me very good prices for stones of my specifications, but I have been so focused on the internet vendors here, I was feeling sceptical. If he actually does get his stones from the same place the online sources do, I feel more at ease, and this certainly would make the job go more smoothly.

DiamondLil

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
>I'm glad to hear you mention this, David. I am discussing a custom setting with a designer local to me. His workmanship is >excellent, but I was worried about having him get the stones for me (I'm pretty picky). He quoted me very good prices for stones >of my specifications, but I have been so focused on the internet vendors here, I was feeling sceptical. If he actually does get his >stones from the same place the online sources do, I feel more at ease, and this certainly would make the job go more smoothly.

David does make a point I never really considered.
When I contract a design, my customers have the option to either supply me with their stones, or to have me source stones and have the customer invoiced directly. Usually my sources are cheaper.
As long as people do business with me, I simply pass my stone price on to them. My personal preference is to hook up the two parties and stay the h*ll out of the middle entirely. Passing on my discount doesn't cost me a penny and is a way of giving the customer a more competitive overall bid without ever having to lower my standards or my prices for mountings.

I don't know how many designers that work directly with the public do this, but it makes sense that most designers will have pretty good direct sources for stones. Whether or not they want to play diamond merchant and get a markup depends on the designer I guess, but it is a good option to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results