shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding 9k gold

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I've found a heart padlock from the Victorian/Edwardian era in 9k gold (yellow) that I really like.

Do anyone of you guys now if it was common to use nickel in the alloy? I have an allergy so it would be so sad if I can't wear it:(. My hope is, if it contains nickel, that the quantity is so low that I won't react.

Thank you for your time! I wish you all a lovely weekend!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is an antique piece, then I would avoid as it is more likely to have Nickel in the alloy than not!

DK :))

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Hi @muesli i just googled this and 9k gold can contain nickel. 18k and 24k are a safe bet.

Thank you :).

If it is an antique piece, then I would avoid as it is more likely to have Nickel in the alloy than not!

Thank you! Aaaw what a shame, if I were to find an antique piece in 18k, do you think I will be fine then?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Aaaw what a shame, if I were to find an antique piece in 18k, do you think I will be fine then?

So I would have thought yes but now I would say no you cannot be sure. From my link above.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 12.30.01 PM.png

There is law in the EU regulating the use of nickel in jewelry, referred to as the Nickel Directive. They recognize that more women than men react to nickel and moved to control it's use to prevent jewelry from causing allergic people from the harm of contact dermatitis.

The US has no such law. If you are concerned that you may have a nickel allergy, do request nickel free white gold if you have chosen a white gold piece of jewelry. You may need to have a custom make a piece of jewelry if you want nickel free white gold.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
So I would have thought yes but now I would say no you cannot be sure. From my link above.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 12.30.01 PM.png

I'm in the EU and have 18k yellow gold jewelry that I wear often with no problems, but they are not antiques (and no nickel). This is so hard as I would absolutely loooove to have an antique piece.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do not know the history of Nickel allergy, as in when it became recognised as an issue for goldsmiths and jewellers to take notice and action, sorry!

Personally, I would not chance it with antiques, and would stick with newer pieces where the actual alloy formulae are known.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I do not know the history of Nickel allergy, as in when it became recognised as an issue for goldsmiths and jewellers to take notice and action, sorry!

Personally, I would not chance it with antiques, and would stick with newer pieces where the actual alloy formulae are known.

Oh no worries at all, I'm so happy that you answer and offer me advice, thank you :D.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results