shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: appraiser

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
I'm waiting for my Leon Mege engagement ring, which I will definitely have appraised as soon as it's done, but I'm not sure if I should go back to David Wolf. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice about this.

I had my loose stone appraised by David Wolf in NYC. When I was in Perry's office and had selected my stone and decided I wanted to have it appraised before giving a deposit, Perry mentioned he would take it to David's office. I hadn't mentioned David's name, in fact, I didn't know of any appraisers, but I figured ok, let's go with him. I set up an appointment and then I went home to check out his site, his credentials, and saw positive comments about him here on Pricescope, so that was all great.

On the day of the appraisal, Perry and I walked over to David's office together, so David was fully aware that my diamond was from Leon's diamond concierge. He gave me a great appraisal, and even mentioned some very complimentary things about Leon's impeccable work.

I was comfortable with all this before, but if I had known better I would have tried to make sure David didn't know who my diamond was from. Now that I'm waiting for my ring though, I'm wondering if I should choose a different appraiser for the finished product since David seems biased in favor of Leon's work, and since David Wolf was Perry's recommendation? David has a great reputation, so do you think it's ok to continue to trust him, or should I just find someone else?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
hellokitty6782 said:
I'm waiting for my Leon Mege engagement ring, which I will definitely have appraised as soon as it's done, but I'm not sure if I should go back to David Wolf. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice about this.

I had my loose stone appraised by David Wolf in NYC. When I was in Perry's office and had selected my stone and decided I wanted to have it appraised before giving a deposit, Perry mentioned he would take it to David's office. I hadn't mentioned David's name, in fact, I didn't know of any appraisers, but I figured ok, let's go with him. I set up an appointment and then I went home to check out his site, his credentials, and saw positive comments about him here on Pricescope, so that was all great.

On the day of the appraisal, Perry and I walked over to David's office together, so David was fully aware that my diamond was from Leon's diamond concierge. He gave me a great appraisal, and even mentioned some very complimentary things about Leon's impeccable work.

I was comfortable with all this before, but if I had known better I would have tried to make sure David didn't know who my diamond was from. Now that I'm waiting for my ring though, I'm wondering if I should choose a different appraiser for the finished product since David seems biased in favor of Leon's work, and since David Wolf was Perry's recommendation? David has a great reputation, so do you think it's ok to continue to trust him, or should I just find someone else?

What is it you want any appraisor to evaluate on your finished ring?

If its just to confirm the same diamond, the melee is as described, the stone is well set and won't fall out etc and determine a value for insurance I'm sure he can do that.

If its a thorough and critical evaluation of diamond cut quality, polish, and workmanship assessmant of the final ring ask him if he will be able to provide an unbiased and critical examination of the fine details and take closeup photographs. Some appraisors are better and more independant at this than others.

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
Well, I want to confirm the stone is the one I bought, that everything is well made and secure, and I think I need to have the complete ring appraised to get insurance for it.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
hellokitty6782 said:
Well, I want to confirm the stone is the one I bought, that everything is well made and secure, and I think I need to have the complete ring appraised to get insurance for it.

There is really very little subjectivity to what you are asking for so I wouldn't see a problem sending it back to him when finished.
When insuring you can state to your appraisor what you would like the appraised value to be, it can be at your cost if you would like to keep your insurance premiums low.

I would normally caution most buyers aboutgoing to the vendor's chosen appraisor as that person would not be acting solely to the benefit of the buyer and they would be less likely to give an unfavourable appraisal as it would cost them future business.

But the subjectivity would be more likely to come in the diamond selection phase and presale phase, durability and craftmanship issues are more black and white and the appraisor may be liable if the do not disclose flaws so that is unlikely to happen.

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
Those are really good points, thanks CCL. Do you think he was more biased/subjective during the initial appriasal? He said lots of great things about my stone, (which I also agree with), and I just don't like to think that it was because he knew it was from Leon. Oh well, too late now anyway.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what stone you ended up buying but in any appraisal there will be some critical areas as no stone is perfect.
If they didn't point out any negative points at all I would consider that not a thorough enough appraisal. Mostly I would look for reflector images (ASET and Idealscope), good closeup photographs, photographs of inclusions under a microscope etc to be included in the report.

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, well its not that he didn't say much critical about the stone, but it looked like he was really just verifying the stats of the GIA report & he did a sarin scan. I looked at it through an ASET, but now I can't remember if he did an ASET on it- there's no ASET image in my appraisal. He verified the inclusions and showed them to me, then calculated the value of the diamond. He didn't seem to analyse the beauty of the stone or cut quality, but I guess I should have asked. He did remark about how GIA graded it very harshly on color. He said it was much whiter than an F. He originally asked if it was a D, but then on closer inspection he decided to grade it as an E after putting it in a machine and comparing it with his master stones, so he said that was a remarkable thing about my stone. I can ask him to be more analytical of the quality of the cut next time, but I guess that's harder once the stone is in the setting.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
hellokitty6782 said:
Hmm, well its not that he didn't say much critical about the stone, but it looked like he was really just verifying the stats of the GIA report & he did a sarin scan.

Well thats a standard appraisal its not implied that they will do more unless you ask.
If he took a sarin that is great(not standard that most appraisors even have such an expensive machine) if you post the .srn myself or one of the others can generate an ASET an IS for you from the scan.

I looked at it through an ASET, but now I can't remember if he did an ASET on it- there's no ASET image in my appraisal. He verified the inclusions and showed them to me, then calculated the value of the diamond. He didn't seem to analyse the beauty of the stone or cut quality, but I guess I should have asked. He did remark about how GIA graded it very harshly on color. He said it was much whiter than an F.

He originally asked if it was a D, but then on closer inspection he decided to grade it as an E after putting it in a machine and comparing it with his master stones, so he said that was a remarkable thing about my stone. I can ask him to be more analytical of the quality of the cut next time, but I guess that's harder once the stone is in the setting.

I wouldn't sweat it, you have seen the stone with your eyes, no obvious red flags, you like it and that is what counts.

0carat

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover|1292528228|2798781 said:
hellokitty6782 said:

There is really very little subjectivity to what you are asking for so I wouldn't see a problem sending it back to him when finished.
When insuring you can state to your appraisor what you would like the appraised value to be, it can be at your cost if you would like to keep your insurance premiums low.

I would normally caution most buyers aboutgoing to the vendor's chosen appraisor as that person would not be acting solely to the benefit of the buyer and they would be less likely to give an unfavourable appraisal as it would cost them future business.

But the subjectivity would be more likely to come in the diamond selection phase and presale phase, durability and craftmanship issues are more black and white and the appraisor may be liable if the do not disclose flaws so that is unlikely to happen.

To what extent are appraisers liable?

I am in the same situation, I have a GIA graduate gemologist that works with the store that will be providing me with a grading report.

Because I am in Canada and this stone is in the US, if I buy it I will have it checked out here or I might even just send it to the GIA labs for a grading + laser. If there are issues that not mentioned to me from the graduate GIA gemologist, what can I do at this point, how can I hold them accountable?

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
0carat|1292539605|2798973 said:
hellokitty6782 said:

I am in the same situation, I have a GIA graduate gemologist that works with the store that will be providing me with a grading report.

Because I am in Canada and this stone is in the US, if I buy it I will have it checked out here or I might even just send it to the GIA labs for a grading + laser. If there are issues that not mentioned to me from the graduate GIA gemologist, what can I do at this point, how can I hold them accountable?

You can generate an ASET with sarin numbers without having the actual diamond to photograph? That's neat. I don't have a separate sarin report, but all the stats are in my appraisal- I can post them.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
0carat said:
hellokitty6782 said:

No your situation is quite different and I suggest an independant appraisor not one working with the store.Get a good return policy in writing and if you are really concerned get it checked out in the US from an independant appraisor before importing it and paying the taxes. I am also from Canada and had the diamonds shipped to an appraisor in Vermont which we drove to see before choosing to import anything.

David Wolf is an independant appraisor(ie he does not work with any particular vendor), its a little grey because I am not sure in the OP's case who is paying for the appraisal or why Leon is marketing they will send the diamond to him but with most other clients he should be acting solely in the interests of the client who pays him only.

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
Hi CCL, I actually paid for the David Wolf appraisal myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results