shape
carat
color
clarity

Question/opinion seeking on resizing rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do jewelers resize rings. When you buy an expensive diamond why ruin the outline of the ring setting by resizing it. My jeweler told me one of my rings is only made in a few sizes and all rings are then resized.

Well the difference is that one ring I own although the ring looks round, when I look at the ring from the side - as when the ring is lying on the dressing table - the casting looks twisted. The ring is cast and has a squared off look on the sides.

Well I got a different ring from this same jeweler but ordered it through their website and this ring is perfect. This is another ring I now own. I have had the first one for a while. I suspect that the website gets the manufacturer to resize the ring. Does the manufacturer do this in a different way from the stores jeweler? I was wondering if the manufacturer sizes the ring from the shoulders say before the mounting is set in and this leaves the rounded part of the ring untouched whereas the stores jeweler sizes the ring in the normal way by cutting the bottom of the band, sizing it smaller, rejoining it and rounding the band on a mandrel.

The ring looks okay on the finger. I am wondering if I am just being too picky and no one else looks at their rings off their fingers and lying flat on say a dressing table. I suppose most people take of the ring and stick it into the ring roll in their jewelery box.

I know that the difference is in the sizing as a friend as the same ring as the one I bought from the website and hers was resized by the store and has the same twisted look as my other ring has. Both styles of ring are cast and have a squared off look to the sides so maybe it is the squared look that is affecting the resized ring.

I suppose as I have had the other ring for over a year now I just have to keep it but any future rings I would rather order from the website. I am wondering how other customers to the store feel or maybe they just do not notice it the way I do.

Can some of the experts comment and also some of the readers give their opinions?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I though re-sizing was a topic some would have opinions on. Are most rings only made in three sizes and then resized as I have been told?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good Morning Pyramid,

Jewelry stores cannot afford to stock every ring in every size nor do manufacturers stock every ring in every size. The exception here for manufactures are the popular bands and the popular Tiffany style settings.

Most stores stock engagement rings in size 6 and size the ring if necessary when it is purchased. The reason they stock in size 6 is because most rings that are sold here in the United States are size 6 or a half a size on either side. Our Asian ladies usually require much smaller size rings (3 or 4) and I have sold rings to ladies that were over size 12 which requires not sizing but custom make.

Yes, rings are usually cut at the bottom of the shank and sized up with extra metal or cut or filed down to a size and rejoined, cleaned up and polished. You should not see where the work was done or notice any difference if the jeweler was a craftsman.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Diamondbob. My ring was sized from a 6.25 down to a 4.5 do you think the jeweller should have had it custom made. It is this ring mount I have

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ShowListProductDetails&OpenCatNo=6&ProductID=2684&NextProduct=3369&PrevProduct=2634&ClientID=535038&UID=ED75F37E-2615-4DB4-93DC018F1464B14A

sorry do not know how to post a picture.

I have looked at my ring which was sized by the manufacturer / bought from the website and can see with a loupe that the ring has also been sized in the middle of the band. Why does the ring look so much flatter on the sides than the one sized by the store's jeweller (the store and the website are the same company).

Does the manufacturer have some way of pressing the ring flat again or is it just in the finishing.

PS. I am starting to think maybe it is just the surface of the gold where it have been twisted that is making me notice the difference. The rings are cast with a square edge so any sizing will distort this = would the manufacturer hammer this flat again and the jeweller does not, would that be the difference?

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Hi Pyramid,
As Diamondbob said it is a exspensive process to stock all finger sizes, so jewelers tend to use a standard size, unless your having a ring custom made or fortunate enough to have a standard size finger you will need a resize. Yes the process is usually the same, cut the shank at the back etc... There can be extreme cases where a ring may need to be hand made taking into account how many sizes, type of setting. I don't think your been picky just observant, I'm sure most people study there new ring.
As rings can be finished differently, ie ( square or rounded edge) you will acheive different looks which could be the case with your two rings. As for the twist without seeing the ring hard to comment if it wasn't there before resizing then it shouldn't be there after.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for replying AmPm. The twist I think is due to the fact that the shoulders of the ring are not equal when looking at them level with the diamond. One of the shoulders appears to be set a bit further back, sort of like this, the O is the diamond.

-0=

Would this just be in the finishing and a jeweller can even them up or is that not possible do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results