shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on this Ebay Item

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joefm26

Rough_Rock
Hi I am new to this forum but I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you wiser than I. I am looking for an engagement ring, and I have found the style and setting that I really like. It is through an Ebay seller MDC Diamonds. He has 100% Positive feedback and I even emailed about 20 of his most recent auction winners to get thier opinion of him and the rings they bought and all came back very positive. I am posting the link to the Ring I am interested on and would like to get some of your feedback on what you think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2642732308&category=undefined

Thanks I appreciate your time.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the stone is represented poorly with what credentials?

GHI certificated stone...I have never heard of them. Gia or Ags are accepted as very reputable grading labs I would stick with them.

Good polish & Good symmetry...Again I think very vague descriptions.

The picture represented I doubt is of the actual ring.

I think what probably appeals to you the most is the price.

If you want a mediocre stone which might not have solid paper to back up your purchase than this purchase may be for you.

You might be looking at the price involved, but if your really considering quality and a stone which exhibits better proportions for a competetive price maybe you should prioritize things differently.

I would stick with Gia or Ags. If not I would send a prospective stone to an independent appraiser to get it evaluated before you purchase. Again in the industry you usually get what you pay for & that price for a 3/4 carat center stone, w/side stones and the mounting says it all.

Limited information on this possible purchase. I am not saying the seller can't deliver the goods, but I think you can do better in shopping around and sticking to certain criteria instead of focusing on price (If thats what you have in mind)

Respectfully
-Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska

16.gif
16.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds tend to be like any commodity, you're likely to get what you pay for... But the vendor offers a ten day inspection period, if you are truly interested in the ring, have it shipped to one of the independent appraisers listed on the appraisers here in PS (see link above in the right hand corner) and let them check it out... If the ring is as represented, then you've done well for yourself and if not you can return the ring for a refund.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My two cents..steer clear of an expensive eBay diamond purchase regardless of how reputed the seller. If you are purchasing small stone just for kicks it's one thing to spend a few hundred to see what you get. But a larger stone or an important purchase (e.g. engagement ring stone)...I would really take eBay with a huge grain of salt. I adore eBay and buy tons of things on there, but my engagement ring stone would never have been one of them. It's too tricky, the information is too sparse, and you are taking a chance with a huge amount of personal money that can be hard to get back through some eBay purchases. Even if the feedback is excellent, that could be 20 other people you emailed who don't know the first thing about what they just bought (other than, boy it looks pretty).

Good luck and shop smart!! See what that same $2500 gets you with an online vendor that does not work through eBay. You may be surprised!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on Mara!
1.gif

BTW, that picture looks very much a catalog one to me!
eek.gif

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone. My friend just lost $2000.00 to Ebay. The customer feedback was created by the seller and the seller ended up with a bundle at the end. None of the money but $150 was refundable by Ebay because my friend wired the money!

Now, this is not always the case with Ebay. I also make small purchases but you really never know. I also looked at the link you provided. The pictures all look like catalog pictures.

I would rather go through a reputable jeweler or reputable internet diamond seller than Ebay for a purchase as important and expensive as an ering.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to which, he's got VS1 described as "loupe clean," which is a contradiction in terms unless his VS1 doesn't mean what everyone else's does. So either he's being misleading or, as Furthermore says, the grading is suspect.

The 100% positive rating also lifts my eyebrows. No legitimate, established seller on ebay has a 100% rating for the simple reason that you can't please everyone. As Charmed points out, it is possible to fake such things and ebay has busted a number of sellers who've done it.

elgar

Rough_Rock
Just my 2 cents: I bought a pair of diamond earrings on ebay. They were advertised as F color SI2/I1 clarity with an "ideal" cut. I took them to get appraised and they came in at H/I color and I2 clarity with an extremely wide girth. Not really what I bargained for, but 2 different appraisers and jewelers in my area told me they couldnt come near the price I paid. I decided to keep the earrings and the ebay seller also refunded the amount I paid for the 2 appraisals to make me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results