shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Tanzanite and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always wanted a little tanzanite since I seen one ooh about 11 years ago, I know that this has a more grayish undertone and is less desirable, but wondering about setting this thing before I make the buy, so what kind of setting would be appropriate for this stone... I''m such a bezel nut, but I don''t want this stone to appear any darker so I''m all ears.. I"m also very simple but I might even try a halo ....ooh it would be my very first halo too
1.gif
and metal color?

this is 5mm

tananitebrdgem1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T,
It sounds like you want this as a ring stone? There are a few considerations:
1. Tanzanite is a soft stone and isn’t recommended as a ring stone.
2. Some jewelers may refuse to bezel set it. See #1
3. With a stone the size of 5.5 mm, you have to consider how large the melees in the halo will be. You don’t want the halo to overpower the stone and cause it to accentuate its small size instead.
4. As you mentioned, an enclosed setting will make it a little darker
5. Using a white metal may make the contrast more obvious and instead play up the grayness in the tanzanite

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Chrono, I''m probably going to set it in yellow gold not bezel it, and it would only be on occassional wear- if I do decide to get it and mount it in a ring, I''m also contemplating a pendant. I''m just searching all over right now for settings and possibilities, I do things sometimes a lilttle backward. I try to figure what I want to put the gem in and then find the gems.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If I may I''ll add #6 - rose gold might bring out it''s violet side and make it less grey, so there''s my metal choice opinion
2.gif

P. S. Keep in mind that yellow gold might have an undesirable effect of making this stone a bit greenish (although that might not happen).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Mr. Ma Re-

I''ll keep that in mind too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results