shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on super ideal diamonds.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Even with super ideals, appearance depends on lighting. I don’t think it would be fair to say that a super ideal looks ‘like your diamond in the grocery store’ all the time. Not sure what you mean exactly by “on the regular” ... if you mean often and more than an average diamond, then the answer is yes ... if you mean all the time, then the answer is no. Super-ideals are spectacular - in the right light.

Would you say the upgrade from a GIA triple ex is worth the money? It’s more than double the price for a similar (but slightly smaller stone). I put it on hold today.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you say the upgrade from a GIA triple ex is worth the money? It’s more than double the price for a similar (but slightly smaller stone). I put it on hold today.

It depends on what your GIA 3X numbers are. GIA 3X has a pretty liberal range of cut parameters compared to say a CBI diamond (since you're looking into a CBI). If you post your diamond's stats (table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle, girdle) we can give you an idea. You can also plug those numbers in the hca calculator if you're new to the numbers. But we can tell just by the numbers above if you want to post them here. If you have an Idealscope or ASET, those tools can also give you information on how well your diamond is cut.

There's a lot to be said of a really, really well cut diamond in terms of performance and such. And there's a lot to be said of the company you choose to work with in terms of upgrading. If you are thinking you may want to upgrade over time, then definitely consider a company that has an extremely generous upgrade policy. I'd say Bluenile is upgrade prohibitive for someone who wants to slowly get to a larger size given that you must spend 2x each time you upgrade, yikes!

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what your GIA 3X numbers are. GIA 3X has a pretty liberal range of cut parameters compared to say a CBI diamond (since you're looking into a CBI). If you post your diamond's stats (table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle, girdle) we can give you an idea. You can also plug those numbers in the hca calculator if you're new to the numbers. But we can tell just by the numbers above if you want to post them here. If you have an Idealscope or ASET, those tools can also give you information on how well your diamond is cut.

There's a lot to be said of a really, really well cut diamond in terms of performance and such. And there's a lot to be said of the company you choose to work with in terms of upgrading. If you are thinking you may want to upgrade over time, then definitely consider a company that has an extremely generous upgrade policy. I'd say Bluenile is upgrade prohibitive for someone who wants to slowly get to a larger size given that you must spend 2x each time you upgrade, yikes!

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

5370CCA3-2114-4EF2-B861-AEFE4C335598.jpeg

Here’s what I have. I’m iffy about upgrading for that much money (but a smaller diamond) if the sparkle isn’t significantly more.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
5370CCA3-2114-4EF2-B861-AEFE4C335598.jpeg

Here’s what I have. I’m iffy about upgrading for that much money (but a smaller diamond) if the sparkle isn’t significantly more.

It's hard to tell without a close-up picture and an IdealScope image of the stone, but judging by the numbers on the GIA certificate alone, your diamond is rather well cut. It's what people on this site would call an FIC, meaning that it will display a lot of fire in spotlighting due to the high crown angle (with complementary pavilion angle) and small table. This likely explains why your diamond lit up in the grocery store lighting. Grocery stores, large department stores and home improvement stores with point-source LED lighting will make a diamond with an FIC cut go crazy with fire events.

If anything, upgrading to a SuperIdeal with a lower CA may give you less of those fire events in point-source spotlighting, but a SuperIdeal may look brighter in diffuse lighting, as FICs like your diamond tend to face-up a bit darker in diffuse lighting environments (home lighting and shaded sunlight).

Notice I use a lot of "may"s and "tend"s in the above statement. It's impossible to reduce the behavior of individual diamonds down to geometry alone, but the angles and measurements do give you an idea of how a diamond should perform in different lighting environments.

Regarding the "is it worth it" question, what would be the other specs on the upgrade SuperIdeal? Would you be going higher in color as well? Whether something is "worth it" is always subjective, but, if it were me, I would not pay double to go from your current diamond to a SuperIdeal of the exact same color. Your current diamond is well cut as it is. But I guess the only way to tell if it would be worth it for you would be to order the SuperIdeal, compare it to your current diamond IRL, and then decide whether the SuperIdeal is, in your opinion, worth twice the price. :)

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
It's hard to tell without a close-up picture and an IdealScope image of the stone, but judging by the numbers on the GIA certificate alone, your diamond is rather well cut. It's what people on this site would call an FIC, meaning that it will display a lot of fire in spotlighting due to the high crown angle (with complementary pavilion angle) and small table. This likely explains why your diamond lit up in the grocery store lighting. Grocery stores, large department stores and home improvement stores with point-source LED lighting will make a diamond with an FIC cut go crazy with fire events.

If anything, upgrading to a SuperIdeal with a lower CA may give you less of those fire events in point-source spotlighting, but a SuperIdeal may look brighter in diffuse lighting, as FICs like your diamond tend to face-up a bit darker in diffuse lighting environments (home lighting and shaded sunlight).

Notice I use a lot of "may"s and "tend"s in the above statement. It's impossible to reduce the behavior of individual diamonds down to geometry alone, but the angles and measurements do give you an idea of how a diamond should perform in different lighting environments.

Regarding the "is it worth it" question, what would be the other specs on the upgrade SuperIdeal? Would you be going higher in color as well? Whether something is "worth it" is always subjective, but, if it were me, I would not pay double to go from your current diamond to a SuperIdeal of the exact same color. Your current diamond is well cut as it is. But I guess the only way to tell if it would be worth it for you would be to order the SuperIdeal, compare it to your current diamond IRL, and then decide whether the SuperIdeal is, in your opinion, worth twice the price. :)

Totally what @TreeScientist said :twirl:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

Thank you for taking the time to give me all this info! I’d not be going up in color or size... This gives me so much to think about.

I’m going to wait to see what Wink comes back with for my diamond since I asked and they’ve been so kind to work on getting that going. But I think I have an idea of what I’ll do.

I appreciate everyone’s help! :kiss2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically, yes. I stare at my hand all the time. I’m sure I look like a weirdo in wal Mart.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
@winnietucker - for me, I knew I wanted to upgrade to a superideal larger stone at some point, and I knew I’d lose money in the process (since I bought from a B&M 5 years ago), and I was OK with that knowing I'd get a mind clean superideal which was important to me. Based on Wink's ability to help me sell my GIA diamond and the excellent comments here on CBI diamonds - that made my choice to go with HPD. Good luck with the decision!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TreeScientist gave you really good input and advice. The only sure way to tell if it is 'worth' it to you personally is to see a super ideal diamond next to your diamond in the same environment and compare the them. If you love the super ideal more than yours then it is probably worth it. If you don't then it's not worth it =)2.

Edited to say, if you decide to upgrade to another GIA 3X, pass the diamond's numbers by us here so you don't end up with something that isn't cut as nicely as the one you currently have. It would be a bummer to spend money on an upgrade and get something that isn't well cut!

Keep us updated!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker - for me, I knew I wanted to upgrade to a superideal larger stone at some point, and I knew I’d lose money in the process (since I bought from a B&M 5 years ago), and I was OK with that knowing I'd get a mind clean superideal which was important to me. Based on Wink's ability to help me sell my GIA diamond and the excellent comments here on CBI diamonds - that made my choice to go with HPD. Good luck with the decision!!

Thank you! I want to keep my stone but my husband things that’s too much right now. Some funds will free up when we finish our home reno/ sell our house so I’m leaning toward waiting. It shouldn’t be a long wait if everything goes according to plan...

TreeScientist gave you really good input and advice. The only sure way to tell if it is 'worth' it to you personally is to see a super ideal diamond next to your diamond in the same environment and compare the them. If you love the super ideal more than yours then it is probably worth it. If you don't then it's not worth it =)2.

Edited to say, if you decide to upgrade to another GIA 3X, pass the diamond's numbers by us here so you don't end up with something that isn't cut as nicely as the one you currently have. It would be a bummer to spend money on an upgrade and get something that isn't well cut!

Keep us updated!

They’re only one state away so I might go over and see one of these days. I know I can get my husband to agree if we go in the winter and he can take his truck out in the snow lol.

I’ve noticed AGS 0 graded diamonds cost more than GIA triple ex stones. Do you think I could find a GIA triple ex that’s also a super ideal diamond?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I want to keep my stone but my husband things that’s too much right now. Some funds will free up when we finish our home reno/ sell our house so I’m leaning toward waiting. It shouldn’t be a long wait if everything goes according to plan...

They’re only one state away so I might go over and see one of these days. I know I can get my husband to agree if we go in the winter and he can take his truck out in the snow lol.

I’ve noticed AGS 0 graded diamonds cost more than GIA triple ex stones. Do you think I could find a GIA triple ex that’s also a super ideal diamond?

Ooh, taking your diamond and going to see Wink and comparing yours with multiple CBI's would be killer!! The advantage with that situation is that you can see yours next to a CBI K and other colors. Plus you'll get a very nice diamond cut tutorial and you will learn that a super ideal is more than just complimentary angles ;)2. Trucks and diamonds go very nicely together :mrgreen2:.

To answer your question about finding a GIA3X that is also a super ideal, there have been many threads on this topic. Search for it and see if you can find them. Related to what I just mentioned, a super ideal is more than just complimentary angles. It is my opinion that you can find a very nice GIA 3X and it may be a needle in a haystack that you find one that is 'close' to a super ideal but you would need to see it at least under an ASET to look at things like painting and digging (as one example) which a report doesn't tell you. Now this is getting into technical aspects of the diamond. People are cut nuts here and may want a super ideal because they know they are getting the best cut diamond and they care about painting and digging, lol. Other people are not cut nuts but they see the beauty that a super ideal possesses and it is worth it to them. There are very beautiful GIA 3X's out there, you just have to decide what is your cup of tea!

https://www.pricescope.com/articles/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
A diamond that is in a place with several light sources will sparkle a lot.
Remember to clean your sparkler once a month at least with a home ultrasonic
cleaner. It will loose all it's sparkle if dirt accumulates underneath!

So I took your advice and went to Bed Bath & Beyond to get an ultrasonic cleaner. This is amazing! She’s so clean! Thank you for throwing this out there because I clearly was not cleaning as well as I thought I was.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, taking your diamond and going to see Wink and comparing yours with multiple CBI's would be killer!! The advantage with that situation is that you can see yours next to a CBI K and other colors. Plus you'll get a very nice diamond cut tutorial and you will learn that a super ideal is more than just complimentary angles ;)2. Trucks and diamonds go very nicely together :mrgreen2:.

To answer your question about finding a GIA3X that is also a super ideal, there have been many threads on this topic. Search for it and see if you can find them. Related to what I just mentioned, a super ideal is more than just complimentary angles. It is my opinion that you can find a very nice GIA 3X and it may be a needle in a haystack that you find one that is 'close' to a super ideal but you would need to see it at least under an ASET to look at things like painting and digging (as one example) which a report doesn't tell you. Now this is getting into technical aspects of the diamond. People are cut nuts here and may want a super ideal because they know they are getting the best cut diamond and they care about painting and digging, lol. Other people are not cut nuts but they see the beauty that a super ideal possesses and it is worth it to them. There are very beautiful GIA 3X's out there, you just have to decide what is your cup of tea!

https://www.pricescope.com/articles/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Thanks! I’ll probably start looking soon if it’s a bit hard to find them. My fave thing to do is browse for jewelry online!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results