shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Sizing (and Resizing) a White Gold Pave Setting

KSTexan

Rough_Rock
I mentioned in my thread on a 1 carat cushion cut diamond that I'm trying to discretely replace my wife's original engagement ring with something much better. I'm having a problem figuring out what size to get. I know she loves halo settings with pave stones. Her original ring is a size 7, but today she doesn't wear it because it's too small. She wears a costume ring that's about a size 9. She diets on and off, so it's possible she could go back down to a 7, but I can't count on that.

A James Allen consultant told me that the setting I want, https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493, can only be re-sized a maximum of 1 whole size. They will remanufacture it for free in the first 30 days, but I would hate to have to do that. So my dilemma is, do I order a 9 that fits now and possibly not be able to re-size it if she goes back to a 7, or should I order an 8 that could be sized up or down but that she may not be able to wear now? I could also go with a setting with no pave stones if I had to, but I really want to get her something that she will love. Thanks for the help!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check your numbers. 2 sizes is quite a bit of change unless it's the result of a broken finger or something like that. Can you somehow arrange to have a jeweler measure her finger?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
93DEADF0-2AB9-49A4-B309-8ED6AC4BA5AB.jpeg

This is a tough one! Even if you know her exact size right now, it sounds like her ring size can fluctuate quite a bit.

The reality is that you can wear a ring that’s too big. There’s nothing you can do with a ring that’s too small, other than size it.

My recommendation:
1. Get that costume ring sized accurately! That’s your starting point.
2. Order the ring a quarter/half size larger than what she currently wears.
3. Have a horseshoe inserted. This will easily allow for one full size reduction - quite possibly more.

I have a friend whose sizing also fluctuates quite a bit, and the horseshoe has worked very well for her. It’s snug at the tighter end, and she wears a wedding band in front of her ring (closer to finger-tip) when it’s looser, but it provides a much larger range of “in betweens” than a plain shank or sizing beads would.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it will be greate disappointment to receive a diamond ring and not being able to wear it. I would take size 9, when needed go down to 8 (ask the setter to fasten all the side stones in place). If needed you can down size it again with a local jeweler.

KSTexan

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies. Denverappraiser - No, I'm not sure of the 7. I'm going to sneak her original ring out of the house tomorrow morning for a couple of hours after she leaves for work and have it checked by a local jeweler. I'm almost certain that the costume ring is a 9, and it's just loose enough on her finger that it rolls a little and she is always rotating it back. Fortunately, I wear a size 9, so when she takes it off tonight, I'm going to check it.

David b - I agree with you. It would also disappoint me for her not to be able to wear it. So another predicament is, should I just tell her that I've already bought a diamond and have her tell me what size she wants? I'd really like to surprise her. I'll check the sizes, but if the costume ring turns out to be a 9, I'm leaning toward that.

What is a horseshoe? I'll have to look that up.

mizzbutterfly

Rough_Rock
I am in no means an expert - but during my many window shopping experiences, I noticed that depending on the size of the band, my size in the ring differed. Now I’m not talking about 2mm vs. 2.5mm, but you know what I mean. So something else to keep in mind with your wife’s custom ring and the new ring you are about to purchase.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the replies. Denverappraiser - No, I'm not sure of the 7. I'm going to sneak her original ring out of the house tomorrow morning for a couple of hours after she leaves for work and have it checked by a local jeweler. I'm almost certain that the costume ring is a 9, and it's just loose enough on her finger that it rolls a little and she is always rotating it back. Fortunately, I wear a size 9, so when she takes it off tonight, I'm going to check it.

David b - I agree with you. It would also disappoint me for her not to be able to wear it. So another predicament is, should I just tell her that I've already bought a diamond and have her tell me what size she wants? I'd really like to surprise her. I'll check the sizes, but if the costume ring turns out to be a 9, I'm leaning toward that.

What is a horseshoe? I'll have to look that up.
A “horseshoe sizer” is the strip of metal that you see on the interior of the band in the photo that I posted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get her a size that you think she can wear now. A long with the Horseshoe sizer @yssie mention you can also have speed bumps/sizing beads
added to a large ring to make it fit tighter. There are various types if you choose to go this path.
speed bumps.jpg different types.png

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the costume ring is loose as you mention her size may be a tad smaller than 9 (like an 8.5). most costume jewelry only comes in whole sizes. so if you go with the larger size, definitely include that horseshoe or sizing bumps etc.

you could also present the diamond to her in a temporary setting or stone holder and do the setting together to make sure it is the perfect fit.

such a thoughtful gift, i am sure she will love it no matter how you proceed. =)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d go with the 9. It will fit her now, and if she goes down to a 7 you can size it down one size, and put in speed bumps to get it another size down.

KSTexan

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I snuck out her original ring today and had it checked. It was a size 8. She has a very thing ring that is a 9.25, and another that's a 9, so I think I'm safe going with a 9.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results