shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Rose Gold Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

currada

Rough_Rock
I puchased an Antique Victorian Rose Gold Belcher Chain and T-Bar on Ebay. Received the chain today and noticed their is a lot of dark discoloration at the solder points on the links. At first I was worried that it might be plated and not solid gold as the seller stated. But after further research online I discovered that rose gold does discolor when soldered. It said that a pickling solution of sodium bisulfate could be used to help remove the surface oxides. Has anybody ever tried this and would it be safe for me to do or should it be done by an experienced jeweler? I hope to take it in to confirm that it is solid gold and not plated. I paid a fair price for the piece and would be very disappointed if it proved to be plated.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Currada,

It sounds like a cool find!

Take it to a qualified jeweler.

Sodium bisulphate is a corrosive acid!

There is a fine line between cleaning off tarnish and leaching the alloy metals out of your gold peice (which will weaken it).
If it's an antique peice you probably want to take extra special care of it, and the jeweller will already have the materials necessary - no mess.

I hope it turns out to be solid and not gold-filled!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 3:19:10 AM
Author: HopeDream
Hi Currada,

It sounds like a cool find!

Take it to a qualified jeweler.

Sodium bisulphate is a corrosive acid!

There is a fine line between cleaning off tarnish and leaching the alloy metals out of your gold peice (which will weaken it).
If it''s an antique peice you probably want to take extra special care of it, and the jeweller will already have the materials necessary - no mess.

I hope it turns out to be solid and not gold-filled!
agree that this should be done by someone with experiance.Also could be that using chemicals is over kill and all that is needed is cleaning and polish.Please make sure that the person you choose has experiance with antique jewelry.Some old metals need additional care because the alloys (copper for instance)can become brittled with age and constant wear.A seasoned professional understands just how much pressure and work a piece can take in the repair/polishing process.Please post before and after pics of your new find!

currada

Rough_Rock
Hope Dream- thanks for your reply I was hoping it was something I could do at home but you''re right why take the chance

Jewelerman- Will take it in and let you know what they say. I''m mostly a lurker but have been reading posts for sometime now. I prefer older pieces so I make sure to read all your posts very informative. I generally buy either platinum or white gold but wanted to get an antique locket and found them to be in mostly gold or rose gold. I purchased the rose gold chain for the locket and was surprised to see the black area at the solder points it''s basically on each link. The seller claimed the chain was solid 18kt rose gold and from the 1800''s. I guess I can live the discoloration if it proves to solid gold just never knew that this was an issue with rose gold. I''ve looked at other chains online and don''t see it in others but I didn''t see it in the picures on the chain I purchased either because the pictures were not magnified enough. I''ll post pictures for you when I receive the locket. I do not care for the Australian Postal System the locket was purchased way before the chain and the chain arrived from England last week.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t remember ever seeing 18K rose gold from that period. All the old 18K I remember having seen was yellow, and all the rose gold was lower karat, generally 9 or 10.

currada

Rough_Rock
Glitterata,

I wondered about that too after I received the chain. I really should have done my homework before the purchase usually I''m much more careful. I did see one other listed as 18kt that was much more expensive than mine though and made in the early 1900''s. It said that each link was stamped 18kt so I''m guessing that it''s possible. I read all your posts as well as Jewelerman you have such an eye and unique style that I can''t wait to see what you come up with next. I also purchased an art deco pendant and earring set that I''ve been meaning to post would love to have you and Jewelerman chime in on that as well. Not sure if it''s actually art deco like the seller stated but it''s beautiful and I''m keeping it either way. Would still love to hear your opinion. I get it posted ASAP. Thanks

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 2:02:47 AM
Author:currada
I puchased an Antique Victorian Rose Gold Belcher Chain and T-Bar on Ebay. Received the chain today and noticed their is a lot of dark discoloration at the solder points on the links. At first I was worried that it might be plated and not solid gold as the seller stated. But after further research online I discovered that rose gold does discolor when soldered. It said that a pickling solution of sodium bisulfate could be used to help remove the surface oxides. Has anybody ever tried this and would it be safe for me to do or should it be done by an experienced jeweler? I hope to take it in to confirm that it is solid gold and not plated. I paid a fair price for the piece and would be very disappointed if it proved to be plated.
currada, you didnt mention earlier about alloy purity so i assumed that the chain was lower karat (under 14 karat as was popular in this period to keep price down and color deep and rich in tone)The color of 18 karat rose gold is very light(i have a 18 karat tri-colored trinity ring from 1990s and you can hardly tell its rose gold at all).If the color is a deep red or orange then your chain is most likely lower karat and the black joints are a common problem(i have same issue with an 1880s watch fob.)Keep in mind that a polish will do two things besides remove the black...it will lighten the look of the rose gold and give it a new shiney look because it will remove the years of patination on the surface.It will look new and some people like their antique jewelry in original as purchased condition(I like to keep about 80%of my antiques pieces and a some of my pawn finds with original patination)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Currada, can you post a photo of the chain?

You might try polishing it gently yourself with a silver polishing cloth. That wouldn't remove the scratches that contribute to patina, but it would remove the oxidation that darkens the color. So it could make it look cleaner without looking brand new.

Looking forward to seeing the art deco piece too.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''ve seen high carat rose gold piece from that period and they have all had significant discoloration at their solder joints, (as have most of the yellow and white gold pieces if they''ve been sitting around for a long time). Sodium Bisulphite when mixed with water is called "pickle" and is sitting on nearly every jewelers bench in the world. It is a moderately strong acid and removes all kinds of oxides which occur when soldering. Plunking a very old piece into this solution will get a lot of the discoloration, BUT it will also remove every other trace of the piece being old and is probably not something which you want to do. Polishing with a flex shaft and some little brushes usually works better as it will still leave some discoloration in the deepest parts of the piece, keeping it looking like a antique.

currada

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for adding additional info on rose gold polishing.

Michael thanks for keeping the hope alive that it could still be 18kt gold.

I will add pictures tomorrow I tried to take pictures tonight but I needed natural light flash and spotlight made the the rose color hard to see.

I spoke with the seller again and he said it''s possible the jeweler could have made a mistake on 9kt or 18kt but that he was positive that it was solid gold. He also said the necklace was originally much longer and he had the jeweler convert it into 2 necklaces and a bracelet. I did notice that there were 2 links that were not rose gold where the clasp connects to that the seller failed to notify me of prior to the sale. Not happy about it but that can be fixed but it obviously will not be all original now. Thanks again trying to get to town to have looked at on Friday.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
good luck on the identification.This situation sounds fishy to me with the new information coming to light. 9 Karat vs 18 karat,the jeweler making a mistake, and the seller forgetting to tell you that the piece was not original but fragmented(which greatly affects value)If its lower karat then advirtised i would consider a return to seller unless you really want the piece!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Another question for the seller....why didnt the jeweler who parted out the original piece clean the black stains when cutting it into three new pieces.Could this have been a home repair and never worked on or looked at by a professional?

currada

Rough_Rock
Jewelerman- I''m going to discuss it with the seller when I find out exactly what I''ve got. I have attached a picture but the lighting is terrible and washes out the rose gold tint you can see the rose color best on theT-bar and the chain is the same color when viewing in person. I believe all the connectors are yellow gold and I can''t get a picture that shows the discoloation at the solder joints because you basically have to roll the chain to see it. My jeweler is very busy and could not schedule me in for two weeks so I''m bitting the bullet and taking it in to an appraiser tomorrow. I''ll have the answers and report back what I learn.

Chain01.jpg

currada

Rough_Rock
In this close up picture of the T-Bar you can see the black area at the solder joints it''s on every link of the chain too. There are also dents to the T-Bar that was also not disclosed.

T-BAR01.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I think it looks really neat, hope your appraisal goes well.
9.gif

currada

Rough_Rock
Thanks Stone Hunter. It is pretty but looks better in the pictures or on the neck. If you look closely that''s when you notice the solder joints.

The appraiser did an acid test and verified 9kt gold not 18kt as the seller advertised. Possiblities for the solder discoloration are either a bad solder job (too much heat applied when soldered) or could be gold filled but unable to test without destructive testing. Either way it''s not exactly what I was looking for or what was advertised so I''m sending it back. The seller does not accept returns but is going to make an exception hopefully everything goes well and I get my money back. Thanks again for everyone who gave input.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Currada. I''m glad the seller is agreeing to the return.

Ladies'' rose gold watch chains from that period were typically very, very long, so if you find one that''s what we would consider necklace length, chances are it''s been cut down. That can make it more useful for today''s jewelry needs, but the seller should tell you (assuming they know themself).

Looking forward to seeing your art deco pendant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results