shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Princess cut diamond ratios

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
In my princess diamond searches I haven''t seen many diamonds with a L/W ratio larger than 1.07 but my question is what should my limit be? I know that ideally you shoot for a 1.00 but at what point does it start to look more like a rectangle and less like a square princess??? At what ratio should I stop if I want a princess that appears obviously square. Thanks for your input!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2007 2:38:48 AM
Author:candlelite80
In my princess diamond searches I haven''t seen many diamonds with a L/W ratio larger than 1.07 but my question is what should my limit be? I know that ideally you shoot for a 1.00 but at what point does it start to look more like a rectangle and less like a square princess??? At what ratio should I stop if I want a princess that appears obviously square. Thanks for your input!
According to GIA''s view''s on this subject...

All square shaped are considered square in a ratio of max 1:1.049 (it will be categorized as square mod. brilliant.)
Ratio of 1:1.05+ will fall into rectangular mod. brilliant.

In a princess cut i agree with them because its a square shape with ''sharp'' corners!!!
In other shapes like cushions or asschers, i think a stone can still be considered square to squarish at a ratio of 1:1.10 because of the effect you get from the corner brakes or in cushions the rounded of corners... (they are not closed or sharp as the princess corners...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results