shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on OEC/OMCs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
At some point I would like to buy one (or maybe both
2.gif
) of these old cuts. From what I''ve read, these are deep cut stones. Does anyone know (on average) what the millimeter diameter size is for stones (either OMC or OEC) for these weights - 1.25, 1.50 and 2cts?
Luv

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
There is no set in stone ideal diameter for an oec or om diamond. These stones are deep lumpy, High crown, large culet. OEC is more roundish, OM is more cushion shaped. If you tried to figure out what the weight was on a set stone you could be off up to 15% or more just from the variables in the way these stones are cut.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Bassethound for your response. I guess I should just use Dave's chart for the cut info and try to get measurements. I didn't think there was a set ideal size, but I just thought that maybe there was a range of mm sizes that one might expect for a given weight in the old cuts. Oh well...Thanks again
1.gif

Luv

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC depth would want to get on the deeper side of today's rounds (say 60-65%), OMC, on the other hand, have no such limit. I would say 75%-80% depth is to be expected. What that does to size is easy to predict if you compare rounds of such depths (say a 60% deep RBC against a 70%+ deep one).

For example:
1ct 60% depth RBC ~ 6.5mm diameter
1ct ~80% depth OMC ~ 5.8mm diameter
0.72 60% depth RBC ~ 5.8mm diameter...

SInce OMCs are back in fashion somewhat, new ones are also cut, keeping the "look" but not the depth of the older stones. These stones - cushion look-alikes with large visible culets - have reasonable depth around 65%, helped by a bigger or smaller culet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results