shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Lab Reports - When are they necessary?

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
I’m just getting into buying loose gemstones. At what price point should I expect a lab report for a gemstone?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it is worth more than the gold setting, I would require a lab report.

most gold settings run over 300$

so tossing a topaz in a ss setting total cost 250 ? - no lab report needed

getting a tanzanite set in a 14k setting cost is over 500 , get a report!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think lab reports are most necessary for rubies and sapphires.
I think if you’re buying rubies or sapphires of decent size (not melee) you want to be paying under $50 for what you expect to be lab made or treated to the hilt, or you spend proper money and always get a lab report.
With most other coloured gems its not such an issue ie getting a lab report, they might be heated but glass filling etc is unlikely.
But you need to educate yourself first about gems you might want to buy - for eg that almost all blue topaz is heated, likewise Tanzanite, Citrine is also heated, there are now synthetic opals, they treat or lab make Quartz these days and pass it off as all variety of other gemstones.
You have to learn what is a good gem is with a corresponding good price.
A 2 carat Ceylon sapphire, say $4,000 - a 2 carat Kashmir closer to $20,000! . So a 2 carat vivid blue “Kashmir” (no lab report confirming origin) sapphire for $6,000 is much more likely an overpriced Ceylon rather than an underpriced Kashmir!
If you’re buying off a reputable vendor you can assume the gems you buy are as stated. If you buy off eBay, some gem auctions, some Etsy sellers you can be misled if not outright deceived.
A gem brief costs just under $100, if I was spending $500 or more on a gem I would expect a lab report or get my own, so I would only buy from a vendor with a no fuss return policy.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
When I’d get one: sapphires, rubies, emeralds, and paraibas, for sure.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
It always depends on what you want. There are three points in my opinion where a cert could make sense, which Bron already stated:
1. what kind of stone it is
2. Treatment of the stone
3. origin of the stone

1. It makes sometimes sense to get a report, that this stone is the stone it is meant to be. Normally not necessary if you trust your seller, or the stone is not that expensive. Sometimes our customers want a lab cert for stones which are sold around 50 $. So the cert is nearly as expensive as the stone itself. Makes no sense in my opinion. We can offer a RAMAN identification, which is nearly the same but not from an official lab.

2. Treatment: As Bron said you have to be aware of treatments when you buy stones. Not every stone can be treated, not every treatment is known or detectable even by labs. Treatment is important with corundum, emeralds, diamonds. Most of the others it is known (like tanzanite) or not possible like most of the garnet group (except e.g. Demantoid).

3. Origin: is normally the most expensive report from the lab. It is import for stones which are sold as from some important origins like kashmir for saphires. But here you also have to have in mind, that there is kashmir from India (the origin we are talking about prices) and also Kashmir from pakistan, where saphires are coming from. So kashmir isn´t always kashmir.

So as told, it is important to have some knowledge to buy stones. You don´t have to be an expert in stones, but the more you know the less you fail. Same with cars ;-)
But demanding a cert on every stone you buy is not necessary and makes the stone more expensive as someone has to pay it, which is normally the customer in the end.
At least important is a trustworthy seller and a no-ask return policy that if anything is not as expected the stone can be returned.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
All the above plus:
1. Whenever you want to set your mind at ease and have no doubts later-on.
2. Whenever you want to document what you have bought for future generations and be sure your beloved ring will not end up in yard-sale for $25 in the year 2119 (if there are still yard-sales by then, probably then e-yard-sales)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Anything over $X value to ensure I'm getting what I'm paying for. For some people, it might be $500. For others, it might be $5000.

2. Very commonly treated stones to verify it is as stated (all corundum, red spinel, paraiba tourmaline, emerald). One that is on the up and up without disclosure is fracture filling of gems that were not treated in the past as they become more difficult to source. The only gems where level of treatment is important to me are ruby and emerald because these are usually highly treated due to clarity issues.

3. There are also some types where synthetics abound, such as certain beryls and quartz. For those, I buy from trusted sources and don't necessarily feel a lab report is necessary.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any stone that is:
1) often synthesized (ie alexandrite, corundum, red and fine blue spinel, emeralds)
2) often treated, especially with invasive treatments (ie corundum, emeralds, paraiba)
3) very expensive (subjective)
4) anything expensive from a vendor that is not well known, or has a stellar background.

If it’s a sapphire or a ruby, and it was expensive, and/or has some meaningful value to you, get a lab report from a large well equipped and highly reputable lab. I once spent more on a lab report than the sapphire, because it required a mass spectrometer to evaluate. I knew I really underpaid for the stone, but I wanted that peace of mind.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results