shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on example of a natural

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Found this picture on another site where the poster said it was an example of a natural which would not affect clarity.

Would this be considered an inclined natural, e.g. would it affect girdle width?

zxz.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it inclined or is it considered indented - would girdle width be affected or not

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi pyramid,

Yes that would be considered an indented natural and yes it would affect the girdle thickness as natural''s are generally not considered part of the girdle unless they are completely confined to the girdle.

So in that instance the girdle may be described as being "very thin" or "extremely thin". Also, in this particular instance the natural serves a similar purpose as the girdle in the sense that a prong can be set over it and in most circumstances not impact the durability of the diamond.

Peace,

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rhino for confirming that. I was thinking it would affect girdle but was not sure if indented.

You said in MOST circumstances, what did you mean by that, in which circumstances would it make the diamond more vulnerable?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No prob Pyramid. I should have been more clear in that.

What I meant to say regarding naturals and the girdle is that in most circumstances when you see girdles listed as being "very thin" or "extremely thin", it''s generally a problem and does affect potential durability of the diamond in question. However when you have girdles described as "very thin" or extremely thin" and a natural is taking up the portion of the girdle where the girdle would typically be (like in your pic), the natural serves as a buffer like the girdle does and it''s not as bad as it appears when it comes to the durability issues. At least this has been my experience.

Kind regards,

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rhino. I understand now what you were meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results