shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on diamond value

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

harley

Rough_Rock
I am very new here and came upon this site quite by accident. It''s very interesting and informative and I''m hoping that you can help me.

I am interested in selling my diamond engagement ring. I don''t have all the particulars that I''ve seen mentioned on this site, like table and depth, but I had been told that the diamond is quite good. It is a 1.25 round stone - VS1 - G color and I was just wondering what the ballpark price should be on this stone before I attempt to sell it.

Can anyone help? I will have it fully appraised, but I just wanted to know what you would estimate as far as what I should ask for it.

Thanks!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Harley, it's tough to tell without all the particulars.

For example, the cut grade of a diamond can determine as much as a 60% difference in value between a diamond with an "excellent" cut or one with a "poor" cut.

Other factors can influence value quite a bit as well, such as how much fluorescence the stone has, and what color it is.

Whether or not it is accurately graded is always a big question as well. Where did the grading you mention come from?

You need to get it checked out, and get a complete proportions analysis, preferably with a Sarin or Megascope machine. Then we'll be able to help you better.

With a stone of that quality you might consider sending it to the AGS for a full blown Diamond Grading Report. They give all the info I've mentioned, with the exception of a value. That won't be too hard to figure out once you've got all that information, and the cert would help dramatically in the sale of your diamond, as well as realizing the fullest price from it.

harley

Rough_Rock
Richard, thanks for your reply. I know I am extremely hampered by not having the exact particulars, but I'd like to give it another shot before we end the discussion. I can only tell you it is a very beautiful stone - white - fiery - very eye clean (see I've been reading this board!)and it seems that even when it hasn't been cleaned for a long time, it sparkles like the dickens. It looks proportionate as far as the table and depth.

I'm only looking for a hint - I'll be happy with that. If it can't be done, so be it, but sometimes I feel that when you go to a jeweler,they're kinda looking out for themselves and I just don't want to cheat or be cheated.

Thanks again!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A well proportioned AGA Cut Class 2 1.25 G/VS1 round brilliant cut could probably be purchased through internet dealers in the $7000 to $7900 range.

Class 2 is considered a "fine" make, with Class 1 being "premium to ideal make" and Class 3 being "commercial", and Class 4 being "below average" make.

A Class 1 make G/VS1 would bring more, while a Class 3 or 4 G/VS1 would bring less.

Please bear in mind my cautions of the previous post. Your stone has to be viewed by a professional to determine it's value.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
One other thing. The amount of money you will realize from the sale of your diamond will directly relate to the market in which you sell it. To sell it for cash outright to a jeweler or estate dealer will probably realize you the lowest value, while if you sell it to the public, you will realize more. Sometimes considerably more.

This site (MidWest Gems) gives excellent advice for the private individual wanting to sell their diamond:

http://www.midwestgems.com/sell20.html

harley

Rough_Rock
Richard, thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I will definitely look at the site and also get my ring appraised pronto!

You guys are great and I love this site. Thanks again!

harley

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results