shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Depth %

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NJGuy

Rough_Rock
I bought the book "How to Buy a Diamond" by Fred Cuellar. In this book he firmly states you should not buy a diamond whose total depth % exceeds 61%. He says this would not be considered even a Class II cut.

Then I noticed on Blue Nile, that several diamond were rated Ideal cut or very good cut had Depth % that were 62% or 63%.

What am I missing? Is the Depth % listed on Blue Nile the same measurement the guy is talking about in the book? How can something be ideal cut and still fall into the author''s "Do Not Buy under any circumstances" category?

I''m confused.

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
Do a search for our "good" friend Fred Cuellar and you will find many interesting opinions about his diamond"expertise" book.
2.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
STOP!
errrr.gif

Before you do anything else, please do a search here on Fred and read the threads carefully - judge for yourself how much his info might benefit you.

Your question is a good one!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Some of Fred's teachings are pretty unconventional. On the other hand, I found his book a great place to start out. After reading Fred's book, read other books (i.e Renee Newman), peruse this forum, other diamond discussion forums, and be sure to keep a skeptical, yet open mind. There are ALOT of agenda's at play and it's important to separate good advice from subtle sales tactics & plugs. Also, be sure to get comfortable using a loupe. Besides a general technical understanding of diamonds, training yourself to look at as many loose diamonds as possible will be a very important part of your diamond hunt. Good luck
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Fred Cuellar, among other things, is a convicted felon. His book, while containing some useful information as Derek states, is generally regarded in the trade as a ploy to funnel business to his company.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Dave Atlas' AGA Cut Class Charts list the total depth percentage for a 1A ideal make cut class as being 58.7-62.3%, enlarging that range on the 1B ideal make to 58.3-62.99%

Trash the Cuellar book, it will just confuse you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results