shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on ct. weight vs. dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Hi all I am very confused about this and hoping someone here can explain this to me. I am looking at 2 princess cut diamonds that are both 1.22 cts. These 2 diamonds both have L/W ratios of 1.03 but the first one has dimensions of 6.19 x 5.99 x 4.16 and the second one has dimensions of 5.99 x 5.82 x 4,26. Maybe I am just being stupid but I can''t wrap my mind around this. How can they be the same ct. weight and have the same ratio but have different dimensions. Also, if they were equal in all other respects (same color, clarity, cut, etc.) which would be the better choice and why? Thanks for any advice or explantions you have!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one that faces up smaller (5.99 x 5.82) is also just deep enough to make it weigh the same.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have one cup of water. How many differently shaped containers can you pour the water into?

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Ok, good point, I see what you mean. But which one is preferred? Is it a matter of taste or is there an obvious choice?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, taste is always involved but I don't know how well that translates across a computer screen.

So usually I just go with the bigger one.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 12:24:55 AM
Author:candlelite80
Hi all I am very confused about this and hoping someone here can explain this to me. I am looking at 2 princess cut diamonds that are both 1.22 cts. These 2 diamonds both have L/W ratios of 1.03 but the first one has dimensions of 6.19 x 5.99 x 4.16 and the second one has dimensions of 5.99 x 5.82 x 4,26. Maybe I am just being stupid but I can''t wrap my mind around this. How can they be the same ct. weight and have the same ratio but have different dimensions. Also, if they were equal in all other respects (same color, clarity, cut, etc.) which would be the better choice and why? Thanks for any advice or explantions you have!
JulieN is right. Without knowing anything else people usually prefer the one that faces up larger. If you can see the diamonds in person than you can better see which one "speaks" to you more as far as looks go. The deeper one could have an extra chevron (it''s like a sort of pyramid cutting on the underside of hte diamond) which would give the diamond a different face look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results