shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Keefe

Rough_Rock
Hey everybody what's going on... I've been lurking around the boards for a while lately and I have a question... I purchased an engagement ring last October from a local dealer in the city that I am attending school... They had just what I was looking for in a platinum band and in a stone and the ring is beautiful, my fiance loves it!! My question was on the appraisal sheet that came with the ring... from what I've seen from looking around at this site it seems like most stones come with a GIA card with the information about the diamond or something... well when I looked at the stone at the store it was in a sheet of paper with all the details of the stone but I didn't get it with the ring when I purchased it... so I have no details about the degrees of the cuts or illustrations... the sheet that came with the ring at the time of purchase says this:

Lds. Platinum & Diamond Engagement Ring
1- .45ct round brilliant diamond (near Ideal) color F clarity VS2 - $2700
set in a solitaire platinum mounting style #LR8787 - $750
Total $3450
Is that all the information I need? Do different jewlery stores do it different? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert, but from everything I've read and seen, you should always have a major lab cert that becomes yours with the stone. Something like GIA or AGS. I would think that if you didn't get a cert with it, then it's not truly a certified stone.

Have you tried calling the jewelery store and asking for the certificate?

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
BTW....the certificate shouldn't be a little piece of paper on the bag. It's much more official than that. My AGS cert is laminated, tri-fold, in a AGS-marked hardback holder. It shows illustrations of the stone with full measurements and angles, inclusions, etc. It also has a hologram type sticker showing that it's authentic from the AGS.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Keefe,

Grading reports (certificates) from GIA or other big labs were rare not too long ago and only for expensive goods. Besides, "certed" diamonds are a bit more expensive.

Garry Holloway (Cut Nut) for example doesn't provide certificates for the diamonds less than 0.5 carat at all. When buying from reputable jeweler you have to trust him.

Today because of the Internet people demand diamonds to be certified. However, if your jeweler has a good return policy and you can check your diamond with independent appraiser you might not need a certificate at all. You also can send your diamond to GIA or AGS for the grading.

.[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results