shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: Getting A GIA Inscription...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nobel

Rough_Rock
Hello:
I had a question about the GIA inscription process. The stone I originally bought didn''t have a laser inscription (GIA). Before I purchased it, the vendor sent it back to GIA (New York) and had it inscribed.

My question is this: When the GIA receives an uninscribed stone (which they have previously graded) for inscription, do they FIRST reappraise/reexamine the stone to make sure the one they''re inscribing matches their original report? Or do they just laser inscribe the stone?

I just want to make sure that the stone that was sent to the GIA was the same one that matches it''s GIA report. With thanks in advance.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you do not trust the vendor (which is a shame) then you really need to send the stone to an independant appraiser to ensure it is the same stone as on the cert because the vendor could just as easily (and for less cost) have sent the stone to anyone for the inscription.

adamas

Rough_Rock
GIA would not engrave an existing cert number on a stone. If a new cert was issued the number of the new cert would be inscripted.
However as mentioned above, a private source could and would laser the number or whatever you want.
Take the cert and stone to an independant ask if the stone matches the cert. If it does no problem the inscription number matches the GIA file record

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 12/3/2003 11:25:57 PM Nobel wrote:

When the GIA receives an uninscribed stone (which they have previously graded) for inscription, do they FIRST reappraise/reexamine the stone to make sure the one they're inscribing matches their original report?

----------------

Basically, yes. GIA will not re-grade a diamond. They have a massive database of specs and measurements for every stone they've ever issued a report for, and when a diamond comes in, it is checked against this database to ensure that it hasn't been graded before. This is to prevent vendors from re-submitting stones in hopes of getting a better grade.

Nobel

Rough_Rock
Well, it's not that I don't trust the vendor. It's a big and well respected internet retailer (for what that's worth). It's just that I tend to be a little on the paranoid side. In any event, before I purchased the stone, I saw a copy of the GIA grading report for the stone. When I eventually got the ring (after it was "sent" to GIA), I did notice that the actual report was different--the date had changed to reflect the inscription, and they added a line to the report, "Laser Inscription Registry..." right above the "Shape and Cutting Style". However, the actual registry number didn't change.

So adamas, are you saying this is not legit? A new cert was issued, clearly, but the registry number stayed the same.

In closing, I'm guessing GIA would have record that a previously graded stone was resent to them and that it was then laser inscribed with the same number, correct? So couldn't I just call GIA and confirm this?

Incidentally, I didn't have the ring appraised by an independent appraiser. He did note some peculiarities with the plotting (saw 2 of the 3 inclusions, but couldn't locate the third, but claims to have found another one). With respect to all the other numbers, they matched (e.g., clarity, color, table, etc.). His valuation of the ring was spot on based on current internet pricing.

Nobel

Rough_Rock
One follow up to my last post, the independent appraiser saw one crystal and one pinpoint where there should have been two needles according to the GIA plot. They were in the same locations. Is this a likely error?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
so GIA did issue a new cert - then you have nothing to worry about
1.gif

Nobel

Rough_Rock
Yes, they issued a new cert but the GIA registry number remained the same. I guess I misunderstood adamas' post--I thought he said if GIA ever got a stone they previously graded back to laser inscribe it, they would automatically change the GIA registry number...

adamas

Rough_Rock
check your email and pm.
You have nothing to worry about in my opinion

Nobel

Rough_Rock
Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results