shape
carat
color
clarity

Question from a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AliCat10

Rough_Rock
Hi All-

So perhaps it''s a little late for this questions, but my FF purchased a diamond (appx 13k), and it''s keeping me up at night with worries that it may have been a bad purchase. As a side note we did see the diamond in person (saw it through the loupe as well- no idealscope though) and it seemed beautiful so I guess in the end I won''t be totally disappointed if it turns out to be a bad deal, but still I''d like to know. It seems that the more info I read here on Pricescope the more worried I become. Here is the info that i have from the GIA report....

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.35 - 7.42 x 4.59 mm
Carat Weight: 1.54
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Proportions:
Depth: 62.2 %
Table: 57 %
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Faint
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.
Additional Inscription: H&A
I wish I had more info on the crown etc. but using this info, without pictures, would anyone be willing to give an opinion on this diamond? Thanks in advance!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i dont think you got a bad deal. could you post the GIA report number?

you might have been able to do a little better for the price with a couple PS vendors, but it doesnt look like you bought a 10k diamond for 13k or anything like that.

for reference: 1.58ct H vs2, $13.1k

the most important thing is you love the diamond, if it performs well, and is appropriate for the cost,which it looks like yours is, be happy with it. im sure we would love to se some pictures of it.

AliCat10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! No pictures yet as it''s being set in a ring. It should be completed within a week or two though and I''ll def post pictures! Here''s the # 13775272.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
If you saw the diamond and you loved it enough to buy it, nobody is going to tell you that you got a bad deal. There will always be a bigger diamond, a better diamond, a diamond that was about the same price that you should have bought.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It''s a 2004 report so I can''t find the proportion data on the GIA report check service. So it''s almost impossible to critique the diamond''s performance. Then again, colour/clarity do tend to influence price more than the quality of the ''cut'' and others have said you didn''t do badly.

However, my two cents are:
" As a side note we did see the diamond in person (saw it through the loupe as well- no idealscope though) and it seemed beautiful so I guess in the end I won''t be totally disappointed if it turns out to be a bad deal"

It seemed beautiful to you. It still seems beautiful to you? If it does - then why disappoint yourself at all. You love the diamond and the price doesn''t really matter. The memories attached to it do!

If it''s really bugging you and you want to know how ''ideal'' is your diamond''s light performance etc... you could either get your hands on an idealscope or look up one of the appraisers recommended by PS and get a formal appraisal of the appearance/valuation of the stone.

There is always a better deal or a better diamond ... and a worse deal and worse diamond. Don''t lose sleep over a stone, it''s the marriage that counts.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Did you ask your jeweler if the diamond has a Sarin report? My 1.50 ct stone I purchased back in 1999 came with one. I didn''t realize what good it was at the time, but it does contain the crown and pavilion angle information that can be input into the HCA.

AliCat10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your replies! What I was mainly worried about as avlis said, was paying 13k for a 10k stone. While the money is gone, we still have enough time to return it if we clearly paid a substantial amount more than we should have. I guess I really started getting worried when I started reading many posts about ppl being taken advantage of at B&M stores. My FF really was against making an online purchase, and I only discovered pricescope recently so I couldn''t really argue with that. I''m relieved to know that it''s within the correct ballpark based on the information I was able to provide.

On another note, is it common for stores to sell stones that have certificates from 2004? Could it be that this stone was previously set in other jewelry, or that is just hasn''t sold? If it was set, would they be obligated to disclose that? If it was just hanging around, do you think there may be a problem with it?

Pardon my craziness...I''m an accountant
2.gif

avlis

Shiny_Rock
it could have an old cert for a few reasons, one being that yes it could have been a return or exchange,but as long as there is no damage to it, no big deal. however, what is more likely is just that this stone has been sitting around for a while. not alot of people who shop at a B&M want to pay 13k for a 1.5ct H&A stone, when they can get a 2ct chunk of petrified dinosaur drool for 1/3 of the price, and hey, they all look good in store lighting.

the good cut really is worth it.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t worry too much, that price seems to be in line with market rates in the US.

I recently purchased a 1.41 carat, G, VS1, AGS000 H&A for $12,900 so you''re pretty close to what it would go for in a B&M. The other stone I considered purchasing was a 1.54 carat, H, VS2, EGL "excellent" H&A diamond with a 1.0 HCA score for $11,100.00.

I decided to go with the top one that I purchased online because it was a little bit deeper and I found myself being attracted to deeper cut diamonds which really showed off more fire...

If its beautiful to you then that is all that really matters. Sometimes when you focus on the details you realize that from a few feet away its nearly impossible for any layperson to tell the differences in similar stones.

AliCat10

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 1:06:47 PM
Author: avlis
it could have an old cert for a few reasons, one being that yes it could have been a return or exchange,but as long as there is no damage to it, no big deal. however, what is more likely is just that this stone has been sitting around for a while. not alot of people who shop at a B&M want to pay 13k for a 1.5ct H&A stone, when they can get a 2ct chunk of petrified dinosaur drool for 1/3 of the price, and hey, they all look good in store lighting.

the good cut really is worth it.

LOL. One more question (sorry). Is it odd that it's H&A but the symmetry is "very good?" From what I've been reading about H&A, the symmetry has to be beyond excellent for it to be a H&A.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
GIA Ex or AGS Ideal could yield a "true" H&A diamond. But H&A is also a marketing ploy. Many marketers apply the term liberally when peddling their wares.

Many well cut RB diamonds will exhibit the patterns to some extent. The arrow shafts won't be true and the hearts may be clefted beyond what many would consider "true" H&A patterns.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you got ripped off and nothing is telling me to run away from this stone. It''s very slightly deep, but not to the point where it would impact performance. However, there is really too little information to fully evaluate the stone. If you really want peace of mind, I''d at the very least buy a beginners IS and look at it to make sure you can make out the arrows well from the top and that there is lilttle leakage. If you wanted more peace of mind I''d get it appraised and have a sarin run on the stone so that you have the crown/pavillion angles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results