shape
carat
color
clarity

Question from a guest to brides...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Hey, all! I''m going to my cousin''s wedding next wedding. I''m a cash-strapped college student, and I really only have one dress right now that would work for the wedding (I have another, but I wore it to his sister''s wedding a few months ago).

The dress is black, which I''ve read/heard is considered a faux pas for guests. It''s not somber at all--it''s knee length, with a cowl neck line and short sleeves. As far as formality goes, it''s the right level of proper-ness (I just made up word, sorry), and it''s conservative enough for the wedding, which will be held in a baptist church. I''m planning on wearing it with sheer hose and a pair of silver flats, with silver jewelry.

As a bride, would you be offended if someone wore black? If you think it''s a problem, I still have plenty of time to get another dress, I''d just prefer not to.

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
i wouldnt offended at all. i wore black to my cousins wedding. actually a lot of people did..

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
No, I would not be offended.

I do, however, live in New York City -- and if I were offended by people wearing black to any occasion I think I''d have to move.

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
Everyone wears black now. I wouldn''t worry about it at all. I actually thought some of the best dressed at my wedding were wearing LBDs!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
The little black dress is a classic look - I don''t see how it could ever offend someone...I love wearing an LBD! And believe me, I''m never the only one wearing a black dress at a wedding!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that it''s supposed to be a less-than-best choice, but I wouldn''t personally be offended at all
35.gif
I''m pretty sure there were some female guests in black at our wedding, but I don''t remember for sure. I guess that just shows how concerned I was about it
3.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
i would never be offended. i wear black all the time to weddings!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear black all the time to weddings! I think that "rule" isn''t really current anymore. Have fun at the wedding!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I have no problem with it. I would, however, have a problem with you wearing white! That''s still a current no-no.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I''m glad it turns out that I''m not planning on committing a huge sin...and don''t worry, hudson hawk, I have no plans to upstage her! Thanks again!

diamondgirl4382

Shiny_Rock
I think at the last three weddings I''ve been to, two thirds of the female guests were wearing black. It''s definitely not a faux pas anymore!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not at all, sounds perfect!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I think dress sounds just fine! I don''t see anything wrong with wearing black to a wedding, especialy in the form of a tasteful dress.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
How sweet to ask!

I''d be offended if you wore white. I like black, it is slimming. Maybe you can rock it out w/ colorful accessories! Have fun... as long as you are having a great time... and keep your clothes on... most brides don''t care what you wear.
35.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would absolutely not be offended. A lot of bridesmaids actually wear black now, so I think it''s much more acceptable than it used to be. Heck, I even tried to get my mom to wear black to my wedding, but she''s still totally against it
20.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My MOH is wearing a LBD. I''d have no problems at all...

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
When I was younger I was told you couldn''t wear black to weddings, but plenty of people have worn LBDs at the weddings I''ve been to, so I think that rule, if it ever existed at all, is outdated now.

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
I wear black to every wedding I go to. Its perfect!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just be sure to make the dress a bit more festive by adding colorful accessories. The silver shoes are a great start!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you can ever go wrong in black. It sounds cute.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think the dress sounds lovely but...

I would check with someone closer to the bride and groom. My mom bought a classy black dress to wear to my brother''s wedding and he flipped out about it. We were shocked but last minute my mom ran out and bought a nice wine colored dress. We never would have guessed he was so old-fashioned ( he had a DW in Vegas) but people randomly hold onto some ideas...

then again, this was the mother of the groom not just a regular guest...
28.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not, it''s fine to wear black. Just steer away from white or any other ''bridal'' colours!

maybe you can post a pic of your dress, just for fun
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
It is fine :).

I went dress shopping with a bride who helped me pick a dress to wear to her wedding as a guest and it was black, I don''t think people care anymore.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
One of my readers wore black. It''s fine :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, wouldn''t offend me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results