shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for those who have upgraded...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never really been satisfied with my center stone and my husband and I have decided to upgrade in the future. We won''t be ready to buy for a few years. Part of me wonders, though, will I ever really be done? Is there a ring out there that won''t make me wish for a new style or shape a year later? I like to dream about what my next ring will look like, and for a few months it was a round, then it was an oval, then an emerald cut. I was all about pave and now I am thinking of a simple, clean three stone setting. I''m not like this about anything else, but there''s something about a ring that drives me crazy, maybe b/c it''s staring me in the face all day.

My question is: when you finally got exactly what you wanted, were you 100% satisfied? Or a few months or years down the road, were you looking again?

Thank you!
28.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I share your problem...

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
I was never satified, until this year. My 1st stone was smaller than what I wanted, my second stone was larger but poor color and cut. After the first two mistakes, I bought library books, and read alot about diamonds, and then I found pricescope and read some more here. After that I felt confident and armed with info to make the right choice for me. I have a near ideal stone white and bright and big and LOVE it. I do not wish for anything different anymore, as I am in love with my stone!!! As far as settings go I got a plain platinum band, and looked around and saved for the past year before making a decision, on a setting. I knew I wanted more than a plain band, it finally will arrive tomorrow! I recommend buying or trying cz settings before making a final purchase. I think that can be helpful. Emerald cuts, pave settings eternity settings. This is what I did before making a final decision, just to be sure I really liked the style and that it work work for me. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I should clarify that I am still really satisfied with my stone which I have had for 5 years and am finally satisfied with my setting, but I have upgraded the setting twice... and I am still thinking about upgrading my w-band, or more accurately, getting an additional one in order to have several diff looks.

I think it is b/c there isn;t much else that you wear every day and look at all the time for your whole life. Most other things, even expensive things like purses or cars, you are expected to change every couple years or whatever. With the ring it can be for life. Over you life, trends and your taste and your budget change. So I think it is sort of inevetible... that''s why I went with something real simple this time (my same RB reset in plat vatche x prong). My mom has had the same tiffany style white gold set with 1 ct RB her whole married life, 30 + years... it still looks fantastic and is just like something you''d buy today... that''s why I always recommend going with the classics if it suits you at all!

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I love setting with bagette sides, just like my Moms. I also love kalidoscopes simple setting(emerald with bagettes, I believe?) Wonderful detailed bands with a simple setting, are equally beautiful. A simple setting really is both classic and timeless.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Good question... and unfortunately I have the same disease and I don't know if there's a cure out there!

First I had a 1.53 stone set in a big wide setting. Got tired of that setting real quick. (The diamond was awesome, though, so I had it reset into a thin shared-prong semi-eternity set.) Then I got to jonesing for a bigger stone, so I upgraded to another awesome diamond - this time a 2.36. It is a KILLER diamond, and I love it... but it's getting smaller every day and so I apparently still aspire to a 3+ carat!
23.gif
Then what??! Four carat? FIVE?! I mean, really... it can't go on indefinitely (can it?!) I mean, how SAD is THAT?! PLUUUUS, every day I look at all the different settings here on PS and I think, "Oooooh! That's lovely!" and "MMMMMM, I really like that!" on and on and onandonandon it goes!

THANK GOODNESS it is the ONLY thing in my life that I am like this with, or else I would be seriously worried!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my upgrade, and I am 100% satisfied!!! (for now)
9.gif

The fact that I got a solitaire will help me avoid that never-satisfied disease. I figure a few years from now, I might be jonesing for a new setting...either a new solitaire setting, or something with sidestones if I want more bling. The great thing about having a solitaire is that there are endless possibilities with the setting. Just futzing with the setting and/or sidestones over time should keep me occupied over time! (or so my hubby hopes)

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
{{{Part of me wonders, though, will I ever really be done? Is there a ring out there that won''t make me wish for a new style or shape a year later? I like to dream about what my next ring will look like, and [it changes]. ....I''m not like this about anything else, but there''s something about a ring that drives me crazy, maybe b/c it''s staring me in the face all day.}}}}

{{{unfortunately I have the same disease and I don''t know if there''s a cure out there!}}}}}

ME TOO!!! I would have been SSOOOO consoled during my engagement if I''d read stuff like this. I thought I was the only one, and was going insane!! Hopefully when I get my new setting I''ll be happy with it, but somehow I feel like the disease might never be gone.

{{{{{The fact that I got a solitaire will help me avoid that never-satisfied disease. }}}}}

I tried that and it most definitely didn''t work!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I love my e-ring and even though its less than a week I know the setting just isn''t it for me. My fiance wanted to put all the money into the biggest diamond he could afford and the perfect setting will be an upgrade and then center stone will be an upgrade too (much much later on)!

He says I''m obsessed and calls me a DiamondATIC! LOL

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very happy with my upgrade and can''t see myself with a bigger stone. I went from a 1 carat center stoneto a 2.36 . It''s everything I ever wanted. And the best thing is no shrinkage has set in and it''s been about 6 years now.
2.gif
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Princess,
You don''t like your setting? I LOVE your setting! What about it don''t you like?
Gail

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Gail! Well I really really LOVE the pave look (especially the halo look) and my FH really HATES that look and he has always had his mind set on something like the Vatche xprong or the trellis setting its currently in. Don''t get me wrong I like the setting I''m just not in love with it but I''m thinking it''ll grow on me more and more as time passes
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO it never ends unfortunately.
15.gif

I originally thought I would keep upgrading til 3c because that was my MAX.

But then suddenly it was more like 3.5c. And now it''s more like 4c.
6.gif

And I''m still only on 1.60c. Jeez I better get cracking!
9.gif

Seriously though, sometimes I wonder if it''s really worth it to keep feeding the insanity. I mean for what I will pay to bump up my 1.6 to a 2.35 or similar next year it will be enough to buy new earrings, a new pendant, a new right hand ring and then some.
20.gif
And that''s just to get an upgrade to one larger stone. Sheesh.

But if I don''t do it then I would think about it...so I might as well just suck it up and do it. From that point on, who knows because the jump from there to a 3c+ is just INSANE money and I don''t think I could justify that to my sweet little hubby til at least 10 year anniversary. At least that''s only about 8 years away.
31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i feel sorry for all the PS husbands out there.little that they know their wife has DSS.
38.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woo, I have changed settings twice and upgraded completely once. I STILL KEEP LOOK :) WOOOOO

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome.
5.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! That is just too funny!!
9.gif
BTW Mara when do you think your next big upgrade will be? It was your past posts that really steered me away from the icy white colors that I was looking at to well cut warmer colors. I saw some beautiful I-K well cut diamonds. I guess I''m weird in a way I can really detect color well in asschers, emeralds and princess cuts but I couldn''t be happier with my H!

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses, everyone. The answers were all interesting. I think I am just that way about rings. No piece of jewelry gives me the same satisfaction, and yet, there''s nothing I scrutinize like a ring, either. Perhaps I should get myself a 2.36 like Kaleigh and find out if THAT will do it for me.
27.gif

I wish I was more sentimental...one of those women who say "this is my engagement ring, and I''ll love it forever and would never change a thing about it" types. There''s no hope of that, though!
31.gif

susi

Shiny_Rock
I am going thru the same thing but.....it''s not that I want a larger stone but, rather, a smaller stone. I have my 3ct HOF RB set in a 6 prong stuller mount which is very secure....but it''s quite boring. I need to do something with it.....either trade it in for a smaller stone or do a remount into something my eye appealing or more interesting....I love looking at my rings.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 5:26:23 PM
Author: prettyinpave
Thanks for the responses, everyone. The answers were all interesting. I think I am just that way about rings. No piece of jewelry gives me the same satisfaction, and yet, there''s nothing I scrutinize like a ring, either. Perhaps I should get myself a 2.36 like Kaleigh and find out if THAT will do it for me.
27.gif

I wish I was more sentimental...one of those women who say ''this is my engagement ring, and I''ll love it forever and would never change a thing about it'' types. There''s no hope of that, though!
31.gif
I agree about rings; you get to see them, as opposed to necklaces or earrings, so they give more satisfaction and yet we can scrutinize & critique them so much more. Plus we don''t use our necks or earlobes to do things like our hands!!
I thought I would be so sentimental too, as you said, but it turned out when I hated my first setting, wanting the ''dream setting'' won out over sentiment!!

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve always figured that if I get bored, I can change the setting, but keep my original diamond. That''s the plan, at least...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 10:24:04 PM
Author: JDgirl
I''ve always figured that if I get bored, I can change the setting, but keep my original diamond. That''s the plan, at least...

Rood Ruck, Reorge!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
41.gif

Hahahahahaha!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Heehee... I had to de-lurk to giggle publicly at that one, Astro-Lynn. :razz:

To answer: I've had three setting changes(for my 1ct rb) then changed to my current 2ct oval last year. I'd love to have a 3ct plus oval or cushion one day.

I occasionally think about resetting this oval but it's not a priority right now.

It seems that most people simply don't pay as much attention to jewelry as we do! Like I've said before, I 'm convinced that some of us(I include myself) are definitely treading on fetish territory. "Not that there's anything wrong with that"
10.gif

So, as a hand oglin'-Liz Taylor wannabe- bridal magazine buyin'(I've been married for 3 yrs,okaaay?!)diamondsicko, it's too hard for me to settle on one "once and future' style/design, diamond shape, cut etc...
My dream ring changes often enough to cause doubt for my sanity.
41.gif
If we were incredibly rich and there were no charities/people in need... I'd have a ring(different shape) for everyday of the week(minimum). Sadly, I'm held in check only by current finances and sense of fairness & compassion( + guilt?)

I've discovered, to my delight, that my husband isn't sentimental about *my* rings, so this one is just as left-hand valid as my first. So, I see no reason to stick with this one when I can, G-d willing, add to my collection in the future.

Strangely, he's attached to *his*... I tried to buy him a new one last year and he protested " but this is the ring of our marriage!"(he's French) and looked shocked that I'd suggest such a horrible thing. ))shrug((

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I think if you can find the shape & size of stone that flatters your hand the most you''ll be satisfied. I think it''s kinda like choosing makeup colors & hairstyles. Some colors & hairstyles really make you look great while some make you look awful. I think it''s the same for a ring! For example, I have long skinny fingers, I tried on a pear & it looked way nicer on my hand than the round I currently have, it just flattered my hands more!! It''s kinda like I love blue eyeshadow, but it makes me look sick that''s why I don''t wear it, even though I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results