shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for the PSers who live in Ireland . . .

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s the weather been like lately?
1.gif

I''ve always wanted to take a trip to Ireland, but DH absolutely HATES to travel. However, I think I could talk him into it as a birthday gift for me within the next few years. My birthday is right around this time of year, so I''m wondering what Ireland is like in late May/early June? Is that a good time to visit? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
35.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 1:50:08 PM
Author:Irishgrrrl
1.gif

I''ve always wanted to take a trip to Ireland, but DH absolutely HATES to travel. However, I think I could talk him into it as a birthday gift for me within the next few years. My birthday is right around this time of year, so I''m wondering what Ireland is like in late May/early June? Is that a good time to visit? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
35.gif
I don''t live in Ireland, but I think that''s a great time of year to go. But you don''t go to Ireland for the weather!
41.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 1:51:25 PM
Author: TravelingGal

What's the weather been like lately?
1.gif

I've always wanted to take a trip to Ireland, but DH absolutely HATES to travel. However, I think I could talk him into it as a birthday gift for me within the next few years. My birthday is right around this time of year, so I'm wondering what Ireland is like in late May/early June? Is that a good time to visit? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
35.gif
I don't live in Ireland, but I think that's a great time of year to go. But you don't go to Ireland for the weather!
41.gif
Oh, TGal, you are soooo right about that! LOL! But, I'm thinking that if the weather in Ireland is decent around this time of year, that's one more thing to help me convince DH that we need to go!
2.gif

ETA: BTW, I was reading up on some old PS threads involving Ireland, and I ran across your post about the "visitor" you had while you were there! Gave me the heebies AND the geebies!!!
32.gif
23.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 1:54:13 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 5/27/2010 1:51:25 PM

1.gif

35.gif
I don''t live in Ireland, but I think that''s a great time of year to go. But you don''t go to Ireland for the weather!
41.gif
Oh, TGal, you are soooo right about that! LOL! But, I''m thinking that if the weather in Ireland is decent around this time of year, that''s one more thing to help me convince DH that we need to go!
2.gif

ETA: BTW, I was reading up on some old PS threads involving Ireland, and I ran across your post about the ''visitor'' you had while you were there! Gave me the heebies AND the geebies!!!
32.gif
23.gif
It still gives me the heebie jeebs if I think about it hard enough. I never figured out who that possibly could have been. He never ever pushed his way into my room...so polite for a potential rapist.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I went to Ireland, Christmas of 1985, and it was wonderful! The weather was chilly and a bit frosty, but quite enjoyable. I loved spending Christmas and the New Year in Balbriggan, Co. Dubin and would love to visit again one day.

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, that was supposed to be Co. DUBLIN.....

Lori

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 2:00:34 PM
It still gives me the heebie jeebs if I think about it hard enough. I never figured out who that possibly could have been. He never ever pushed his way into my room...so polite for a potential rapist.
Yes, he was VERY polite! But I think you were probably pretty safe . . . I don''t think they''re actually able to push anything or rape anyone. Are they?!?!
40.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 2:05:52 PM
Author: loriken214
I went to Ireland, Christmas of 1985, and it was wonderful! The weather was chilly and a bit frosty, but quite enjoyable. I loved spending Christmas and the New Year in Balbriggan, Co. Dubin and would love to visit again one day.

Lori
Thanks, Lori! This is great info! Now I know that I can work on DH to do this for a birthday gift OR a Christmas gift!
27.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay now I''m curious about the visitor you speak of and I couldn''t find TGal''s post! Fill me in please!
5.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
IrishGrrl, it''s a little later than you''re asking about, but I''m going next month and I''ll take notes for you. And I think Haven is going in the next few weeks...so we can at least give you the tourist''s perspective.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
It is fabulous right now! It''s been sunny and warm all week. I hope it lasts! This is definitely a good time of year to visit. Get your ass over here!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 3:08:17 PM
Author: thing2of2
Okay now I''m curious about the visitor you speak of and I couldn''t find TGal''s post! Fill me in please!
5.gif
Only if you promise you''re not scared of ghosties!
32.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 3:09:59 PM
Author: princesss
IrishGrrl, it''s a little later than you''re asking about, but I''m going next month and I''ll take notes for you. And I think Haven is going in the next few weeks...so we can at least give you the tourist''s perspective.
Princesss, thank you! And I remember hearing that Haven is going soon, so I''ll be interested to hear about both of your trips! Have a FABULOUS time and know that I''m INSANELY jealous! LOL!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 3:10:30 PM
Author: Porridge
It is fabulous right now! It''s been sunny and warm all week. I hope it lasts! This is definitely a good time of year to visit. Get your ass over here!!
LOL! Porridge, my ass would LOVE to be over there right now!
3.gif

And how warm is "warm"? In my part of the world, it''s about 90 degrees today, which is TOO warm in my humble opinion!
14.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 3:16:01 PM
Date: 5/27/2010 3:08:17 PM

5.gif
Only if you promise you''re not scared of ghosties!
32.gif

Eeeeek okay I promise!
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I wanna hear the ghost story... ooo ooo meeeeeeeeee
35.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing & DF, you asked for it! It''s on the second page of this thread. It''s a VERY good story, and TGal is a VERY good writer! You''ll be scared, but you''ll laugh too!
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 3:25:14 PM
Thing & DF, you asked for it! It''s on the second page of this thread. It''s a VERY good story, and TGal is a VERY good writer! You''ll be scared, but you''ll laugh too!
9.gif

32.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 3:30:33 PM

32.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Thing! You promised me you wouldn''t be scared!
11.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 3:45:36 PM

32.gif
23.gif
23.gif
11.gif

I LIED! YOU SHOULDN''T HAVE BELIEVED ME!
39.gif
3.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 3:53:00 PM

32.gif
23.gif
23.gif
11.gif

39.gif
3.gif
GAH! I knew it! You''d think I''d know better by now . . .
38.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 4:21:02 PM

32.gif
23.gif
23.gif
11.gif

39.gif
3.gif
38.gif
LOL gals. I swear I didn''t make that up, and I wrote that story a day or two after it happened (I took my computer on the road for that solo trip). I was sober and had my wits about me. I still do not know why that man didn''t barge in, and why he kept repeating those same phrases over and over.

I was so scared, I remember my voice shaking and I was near hysterics when I tried to call someone on the phone to help me. To this day, I won''t stay in a room with those keyholes if I can help it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 4:34:36 PM
32.gif
23.gif
23.gif
11.gif
39.gif
3.gif
38.gif
LOL gals. I swear I didn''t make that up, and I wrote that story a day or two after it happened (I took my computer on the road for that solo trip). I was sober and had my wits about me. I still do not know why that man didn''t barge in, and why he kept repeating those same phrases over and over.

I was so scared, I remember my voice shaking and I was near hysterics when I tried to call someone on the phone to help me. To this day, I won''t stay in a room with those keyholes if I can help it.

EEEEEK TGal I totally believe you. I always think I''m not superstitious until I hear stuff like your story and get really scared!
32.gif
Great story, by the way! You really should be a writer, or a blogger at the very least! I would read!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Hi Irishgrrrl!

Irish weather is just completely unpredictable. You can in all seriousness have all four seasons in the one day. I got married in March in glorious Spring sunshine, didn't shiver once all day, and then the following Saturday my mother texted me to say they were snowed in. It's just impossible to say for sure what the weather will be like at any particular time of year.

As a generality though, late May is usually very nice. Comfortable warm, as in you wouldn't need a heavy coat, just a light jacket to throw on if it rains. Still jeans rather than shorts weather (but that's true all through the Summer in Ireland). A light jumper or a long sleeved t-shirt usually is enough. At the moment there's a heatwave so it's vests and shorts all round!

Ireland gets maybe about a month of shorts weather all year, but that month is spread out in a day here and a day there over about five months from May to September. You would never come to Ireland and expect not to wear jeans and a warm jumper at least one day, not even in July. It is also guaranteed to rain during your trip. It never goes a week without raining.

On the upside, we never get cloyingly humid heat, and once you just accept the Summer won't be a sunbathing feast then Ireland actually has pretty decent weather. Irish people moan about our miserable Summers but I don't think it's all that bad. Then again, I'm not a sunworshipper. And I get antsy if I haven't seen rain in a week, I miss it. I think that might be a peculiarly Irish affliction.

On the downside, DO NOT come here in the Winter if you don't like the cold and damp. It never gets freezingly icy cold, but the damp just seeps into your bones and you never feel fully dry. It's a horrible kind of cold, a wet miserable soaked right through to the insides kind. I spent a Winter in Europe in -20C weather and was never as cold as I am most days in Ireland in the Winter. Brrrrrr.

But if you come in late May I would wager the weather will be lovely! September is a gorgeous time to visit too - we often get a late burst of warm weather in September and the trees are all turning their Autumn colours and it's just really pretty.

Anyway, here's a more authoritative resource than just me rambling: Irish National TV Weather Reports

Come on over, you'll love it here!
35.gif
35.gif

PS- don't mind that TGal and her spooky stories! That ghostie was probably just trying to scare away all that Californian warm weatherness just oozing right out of her
2.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 3:18:30 PM
Date: 5/27/2010 3:10:30 PM

Author: Porridge

LOL! Porridge, my ass would LOVE to be over there right now!
3.gif

And how warm is ''warm''? In my part of the world, it''s about 90 degrees today, which is TOO warm in my humble opinion!
14.gif
It''s been averaging about 23 celsius in my neck of the woods, although today was cooler, about 15 degrees. Delster is totally right about the land of four seasons in one day though! It''s very unpredictable.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, TGal -- I had never read that story before.
23.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 4:44:21 PM

Date: 5/27/2010 4:34:36 PM

32.gif
23.gif
23.gif
11.gif
39.gif
3.gif
38.gif

EEEEEK TGal I totally believe you. I always think I''m not superstitious until I hear stuff like your story and get really scared!
32.gif
Great story, by the way! You really should be a writer, or a blogger at the very least! I would read!
Ha, I should post the entire Irish travelogue...brings it more in context (would make clearer WHY I was sober that night). Thanks for the compliment though. I can''t be a blogger...I simply don''t think I have anything that important to say! I did love writing about travel adventures though...I was tossed into quite a few.

Delster, the ghost knew I was a wimp for sure. It''s awful though, but he was kinda cute!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto Delster! You can never plan on the weather here! On my wedding day last June we had glorious sunshine, hailstones and lashing rain all on the same day. It is amazing here at the moment though. You have to come visit!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will take diligent weather notes for you on our upcoming trip, Irishgrrrl!

From everything I''ve read this is a great time to go. It sounds like the really touristy season is in July and August, and the weather is supposedly good (for Ireland) right about now.

I''M SO EXCITED TO GO!!!!

And,happy early birthday!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
It is my experience that it has a LOT to do with where in Ireland you are talking. The East and central parts tend to have nicer weather than the west coast, but most tourists want to spend time on the west coast.

I also love xmas in Ireland. My family came to vist DH and I when were living in Dublin in 2007. No snow, but the smell of peat fires more than makes up for it.

Also, I want to add that they are the nicest people EVER. Everyone at the airport was like your best friend and the taxi drivers were unbelievbly nice. Shortly after we moved there, my DH went to the Tesco which was about a mile away. He had to get heavy stuff like pans so he took a tacsi back. One of his bags broke and she gave him one of her bags and helped him carry everything up to the apartment, which was on the third floor and didn''t charge for it. Seriously, I was so sad when we flew back into the US and second we landed everyone was dificult and yelling. Sigh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results