shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for the Professionals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking of my life/career plans. And I'm thinking my 5 year plan is to get out of the field what I am in and MAYBE (if I am good enough) get into some jewelry design. I want to start with some basic CAD and design courses then go for some basic jewelry making skills, and then consider next steps if that goes well.

I was told that in here in the bay area the "Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts" is considered quite reputable for such training here in the Bay Area and I was going to consider taking some basic courses to see what I think, while of course still keeping my current job.

Is this a reputable institution? Would it be a good place to aquire some 'basics' and maybe some more advanced skills?

I'm not sure if this is going to be a hobby long term of second carear, but I don't think I can know until I get some experience and training and skills.

ETA: This wasn't the brightest timing for this post was it? All the Pro's are in Vegas.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy,

Not ALL of the pro’s are in Vegas, just a few of the good looking ones. Over my career I’ve hired quite a few graduates of Revere Academy and have sent several others there for continuing training. I strongly endorse them as one of the top technical schools in the country.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a pro - just a fellow PSer...

Gypsy - what a fun adventure! I wish you much luck if you decide to follow this path!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 7:45:39 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Gypsy,

Not ALL of the pro’s are in Vegas, just a few of the good looking ones. Over my career I’ve hired quite a few graduates of Revere Academy and have sent several others there for continuing training. I strongly endorse them as one of the top technical schools in the country.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Neil, are there any good schools in the southeast? Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, Paris Junior college (another of my favorite bench schools) in Paris Texas is SE but that’s probably not what you mean.

These guys are in south Florida, which is probably more what you had in mind and are well regarded although I don''t have any personal experience with them or their graduates.
http://www.jewelryschool.net/AboutUs.htm

The only US school of diamond cutting that I know of is in Deerfield Beach Florida.
http://www.diamondschool.com/

I don’t know of any schools in the Atlanta sort of neighborhood but you might want to check with the local jewelers supply house where you buy tools and such and see if they have any recommendations.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many jr colleges have silversmith classes that would be a good start to see if you really are interested.
Call around.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You might also find a local jeweler/designer who offers CAD to his/her clients.
Ask about their personal experiences in the jewelry business. Most professionals
are happy to give advice to interested people who truly have the passion to learn.
Every major city usually has a few top notch jewelers who do custom design work.

Good luck, Gypsy!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy,
This sounds like a very exciting branch off from your usual profession. I have no advice being a regular consumer but I wish you the best.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Neil (LOL at the good looking ones!), that's a good enough recommendation for me! I'm going to call them this week about taking some courses. They are actually pretty convenient to me. I don't want to do jewelry manufacturing, metalsmithing and benchwork long term... I want to have the training skills and the understanding of it, under my belt. But what I want to do is CAD design, but from what I understand CAD designers without an understanding of jewelry manufacturing can be limited in their success. Plus I want to understand the different manufacturing methods, the basics of casting, pave, stone setting, and different types of prongs (I want to know how to do those talon prongs!). And the 'art history' of jewelry and jewelry manufacturing. But the design and CAD stuff is where I want to work toward. If I do feel that it is the right path, I will probably get a GIA certification in gemology to round it out in a few years.

Thank you tyty--- I've been interested in jewelry making since I was in elementary school. Now I've been on PS for a while, and I have been seriously researching second career opportunities for a year or so now, and this is the one I keep coming back to. Only way I'll know is to give it a shot as a hobby and see if I can make it into a second career later in life.

Hi Storm, I'm going to see if they have any CAD courses at the local JC's, I want as much design experience as I can get. And I need to take some jewelry history courses, and get an indepth knowledge about the different jewelry periods, designers how to indentify the styles and the manufacturers, and learn 'older' methods and jewelry making skills.

Hi Jeff, I've talked to quite a few for a while now, and will talk to more. Thank you! Speaking to a local CAD and Custom house is actually that's how I got the recommendation to go to the Revere Academy. Thank you for the luck, I'll likely need it!

Thank you Chrono, A lot of lawyers have 'second career' in the last few years I've met quite a few 40 to 50 somethings who are 'recovering lawyers' and it gave me a lot of hope for my future, I really want a 'second career' and want to start laying the foundation now so that in 5 or so years, 8 at the outside, I can be doing something I TRULY love and enjoy.

Plus, to be realistic... working full time it will take me quite a few years to get to any point that I am trained enough for commercial work. So in the meantime I will get educated, get experience, gather knowledge, and get comfortable with a lovely new hobby and see where it takes me.

THANK YOU ALL. I am really excited about this. Especially since there is a good technical school nearby and I might as well take advantage of it's proximity.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I definitely agree that you need to learn some of the fundamentals of metalwork if you want to be a capable jewelry designer. CAD is a cool tool and it’s useful in a lot of situations but it’s easy to confuse the tool with the artisan. I tend to think of CAD as being rather like word processors. All the good writers use it, and most are even pretty good at it but this is NOT the skill that makes someone a good writer.

Although I agree that the silversmithing classes at junior colleges and free universities about the country are often good fun and even useful training (depending on the teacher), I think it’s important to point out that they aren’t all the same. Revere Academy, Rhode Island School of Design, GIA and a few others out there are targeting their programs towards teaching skills for professional jewelers. Most others are teaching towards hobbyists. It’s rather like the difference between the cooking classes at the Y and a school for chefs. Both have their place and there’s some overlap in what you will learn but they aren’t the same thing.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I can''t say I''m too surprised at your second career choice as you''ve become so knowledgeable and helpful on PS. I wish you all the success you''ve ever dreamed of
36.gif

You go, girl!!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My reply was actually to diamondseeker2006 but I forgot to quote.

If a good school with a full blown professional program is available nearby I agree 100% take it but if their isn't a local community college course is a good way to get your feet wet to see if it is really for you without investing a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results