shape
carat
color
clarity

question for the experts about diamond grading labs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buying better grades at the labs was brought up in another thread.
I dont see that as likely.

My question is does the person actualy doing the grading know who the client is that owns the diamond?

It seems to me that it would be a good thing if they didnt but I wonder if they do.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
Interesting question, I'd like to know this too, any takers?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btt

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The graders often do not know who submitted a given diamond. It depends on the security of each lab. Certainly someone leaving a very large and expensive diamond may have some identity passed along to a senior grader from time to time. It should not matter, but one might believe there could be some hanky-panky going on.

It seems that whenever I think of something sneeky, there already have been cases of others actually doing it for years already. Fraud and conspiracy are not uncommon overall, but within the diamond grading labs of worldwide recognition, there are some very good strategies to defeat many of these theoretically possible failings of human nature. I have not personally witnessed any obvious problems, but have heard rumors from time to time about major lab graders being caught up in false grading schemes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the answers, cut nut, oldminer.

I will do a search for the article you mention later today when I get a chance.

oldminer,
How common do you think it is?
Once a decade, once a year, more often, that it comes up as an issue to the trade that there is something going on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results