shape
carat
color
clarity

Question For Runners

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you get achy feet? And what do you do about it?

I run between 7 & 10k on each run, 3 or 4 times a week. I developed Mortons Neuroma in both feet a year ago, which was almost completely eased with lots of Physio & ultrasound sessions. I was back in my trainers on January 1st this year.

But my feet are just fatigued. They're fine running & general walking around & going about my day, but in the morning when I get out of bed they are tender & achy to walk on for about 5 minutes, especially the fleshy outer edge from my little toe to my heel, and in the evening when I finally sit down with a cup of tea, they start to ache again. I work at a school so i am on my feet there - i don't have a desk job & don't stand still for very long. They don't bother me at all during activity.

Do I just need to get my fingers in there & massage them? Any suggestions as to what you might do when this happens?

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a runner but I am a golfer, and walking miles of course while carrying a bag has left me feeling similar.

I found it was a combination of things, for me, that ultimately made my feet feel less fatigued and sore:

1. My shoes were ill fitting, and not in the way you might expect. I am one of the few people that favor the outer edge of my foot, and my podiatrist told me that the majority of people are the opposite, so most shoes are made to encourage more outer foot pressure when walking. I found a shoe that forces bias to walking on the inside of my foot, and this helps a lot. Uncomfortable, at first, because my muscles/area of my foot there are not used to being used. :mrgreen2:

2. Custom orthotics have always been a huge help throughout my life. They are expensive, but worth it so much more than the Dr. Sholl/generic brand type things that you try to fit to your foot. A scan/mould of your foot is more useful than anything store bought. If you can go custom, see if you can get the hard plastic ones and not the foam ones. The foam ones are "better" in terms of conforming to your foot but only last for a couple years before they wear out, and they're still expensive!

3. My feet can get pretty calloused as well, and I noticed it helps my entire foot if I put some of those circular foam pad things on the most "worn" spots - keeps my whole foot from getting so tired and also helps those places that build up and rub inside your shoe.

Not sure where you run, but a friend of mine who is a cross country runner just had to find places to practice and run that weren't track/asphalt. She liked doing runs around the neighborhood, but her knees and feet got so bad that she now actually runs the golf course early in the morning -- around here the golf courses are also public land - the golfers hate it, bikers love it :) but at a golf course the grass gets mown so closely on the fairways that you don't need to worry about catching something with your foot that you don't see, and it's certainly softer than the sidewalk.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking the time to reply @amoline :angel:

I shall definitely look into the shoe orthotics thing, as that sounds like it might help to support my feet more where they need it. I am a foot roller in that I land flat & roll outwards as I push forwards. My Physio helped with that & I do focus really hard to land on my heel & push through & off with the ball of my foot & big toe. But it's hard changing a lifetime habit, I have to confess!

I run in a variety of places: springloaded machine at the gym, concrete roads, muddy tracks & fields. I try to stay on the tracks & fields mostly these days, as the concrete is definitely a bit of a bugger to my feet & knees, plus I go to the gym a lot more than I used to for that added support when my fields are just too boggy to get through in winter. That just pulls all sorts of muscles just trying to even stay upright. Think Bambi On Ice :D

Reactions: AV_

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to run 8-10 miles at a time about ten years ago, and I echo what @amoline said about making sure to have good shoes that fit.

For what it's worth, I stopped running about two years ago because I didn't like the wear and tear on my body. I transitioned into weight lifting, which I enjoy... but it's not the same o_O

Have you considered cutting down how far you run?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to run 8-10 miles at a time about ten years ago, and I echo what @amoline said about making sure to have good shoes that fit.

For what it's worth, I stopped running about two years ago because I didn't like the wear and tear on my body. I transitioned into weight lifting, which I enjoy... but it's not the same o_O

Have you considered cutting down how far you run?

No I haven't actually? Hmm... maybe I should :think:

I definitely pick up far more injuries & niggles than I did 20 years ago, or even 5 years for that matter. But i wouldn't know what to do with myself instead, as I've always run & i can (& do) do it anywhere & everywhere. Might buy myself a bike 8-)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely pick up far more injuries & niggles than I did 20 years ago, or even 5 years for that matter.
Same here :cry2:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depressing, isn't it? Getting older is rubbish in some ways :(2
So depressing. I now have to be careful flipping my hair so I don't tweak my neck :roll:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So depressing. I now have to be careful flipping my hair so I don't tweak my neck :roll:

:lol: I put my back out a few months ago, literally turning behind me & leaning backwards & downwards to grab something off a low shelf. Could hardly breathe for 3 days as the muscles on one side of my spine were in spasm. Maybe we should just take up lying on a sofa & shouting at daytime TV for sport instead?!

Reactions: BMI

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I put my back out a few months ago, literally turning behind me & leaning backwards & downwards to grab something off a low shelf. Could hardly breathe for 3 days as the muscles on one side of my spine were in spasm.
Oh my goodness! :eek2:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to run marathons and I know about foot, back and general aches and pains from running. I used to love it! Then I ruptured a disc in my back and now I do yoga and walk my dog. I miss running every day, or at least the way it made me feel.

It sounds like you might have plantar fasciitis which is inflammation of the tissue at the bottom of your feet. I had it and most runners do at some point. Finding supportive shoes and replacing them often helped me the most. I also used to remove my shoes and socks and run cold water over my feet and legs after a run (it works for race horses to I tried it). Ice and ibuprofen also helped.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: I put my back out a few months ago, literally turning behind me & leaning backwards & downwards to grab something off a low shelf. Could hardly breathe for 3 days as the muscles on one side of my spine were in spasm. Maybe we should just take up lying on a sofa & shouting at daytime TV for sport instead?!

I can relate to all the above. I hurt neck opening the tanning bed once and it was sore for days.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is an avid runner, the first thing he asked about is your shoes. Go to a "running" store and get yourself checked out for shoes. They're always the first culprit in foot pain.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is an avid runner, the first thing he asked about is your shoes. Go to a "running" store and get yourself checked out for shoes. They're always the first culprit in foot pain.
@Alex T And make sure you are replacing your shoes every 400 miles!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Shoes/fit + (professional) orthotics. I echo OP thoughts about changing up your routine. Cycle, swim, palates, etc. Reduce the amount of constant pressure off your feet, knees and hips (for only one form of exercise, running), cuz you are young and will need those healthy joints for another 50 years. FWIW, My SIL, 50 years old just had a hip replacement. Life long runner.

in health--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should just get it checked out by a professional and see what he/she says. It could be arthritis.

I stress fractured my tibia and had 3 meniscus tears and I have zero idea how that happened. o_O

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
What shoes do you use? I run around 50 miles per week on average and my feet are fine. Maybe they’re too tight? I usually buy my shoes a half size larger than normal because my toes used to get tingly on long runs.

The right shoe really does matter. Also my sister has had a similar issue or your’s and it turns out she has arthritis, at 33. It can be the result of repeat strain, in her case due to an abnormality in her foot that she was completely unaware of.

It could be worth getting another medical opinion if the shoe thing doesn’t pan out.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was a puppy in the Marine Corps, I used to run between five to fifteen miles per day. Now I swim or ride a bike, my running days are long over. I still love to kayak too...

Old age reeks in so many ways, but heading into it in at least semi good shape is a blessing. What I have found over the years, when one thing hurts, do something different.

Wink

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to reply @amoline :angel:

I shall definitely look into the shoe orthotics thing, as that sounds like it might help to support my feet more where they need it. I am a foot roller in that I land flat & roll outwards as I push forwards. My Physio helped with that & I do focus really hard to land on my heel & push through & off with the ball of my foot & big toe. But it's hard changing a lifetime habit, I have to confess!

I run in a variety of places: springloaded machine at the gym, concrete roads, muddy tracks & fields. I try to stay on the tracks & fields mostly these days, as the concrete is definitely a bit of a bugger to my feet & knees, plus I go to the gym a lot more than I used to for that added support when my fields are just too boggy to get through in winter. That just pulls all sorts of muscles just trying to even stay upright. Think Bambi On Ice :D
running on concrete is not good
i tried to avoid it at all cost but it was hard to find footpaths that wern't concrete where i lived and it wasn't safe to run on the road
despite custom orthotics and the best shoes i could afford actually working all day on concrete for many many years ended my running days
and my podiatrist has a number of patients with the same problem
i was advised to try to never even go without shoes at home due to the concrete floor and now we have a house with a woodern floor i can feel the difference

stay off the concrete please

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shoes do you use? I run around 50 miles per week on average and my feet are fine. Maybe they’re too tight? I usually buy my shoes a half size larger than normal because my toes used to get tingly on long runs.

The right shoe really does matter. Also my sister has had a similar issue or your’s and it turns out she has arthritis, at 33. It can be the result of repeat strain, in her case due to an abnormality in her foot that she was completely unaware of.

I wear New Balance & have done for many years. I changed to Hoka shoes in July last year, but after many miles that's when I was diagnosed with Mortons Neuroma & it turned out the toe box was too tight. I had no idea - they felt fine to run in?! So after hours of Physio, I went back to NB & on the whole have been fine. They are comfy whilst running etc, but afterwards the soles of my feet ache & my bones feel crunchy. Urgh! Might visit a shoe fitting sport place. Thank your husband for me!
It could be worth getting another medical opinion if the shoe thing doesn’t pan out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Shoes/fit + (professional) orthotics. I echo OP thoughts about changing up your routine. Cycle, swim, palates, etc. Reduce the amount of constant pressure off your feet, knees and hips (for only one form of exercise, running), cuz you are young and will need those healthy joints for another 50 years. FWIW, My SIL, 50 years old just had a hip replacement. Life long runner.

in health--Sharon

Completely agree with everything Sharon wrote. My primary care doctor advised me (when I was in my early twenties) to ease up on the running. She said that all runners need joint replacements much sooner than non runners. Period. So it's not your age so much as the length of time you have been running. So important to mix it up and cross train so as not to put extra stress on your body. Running is hard on the body. Young or old. I like running in the sand for a great workout. But I don't run anymore and instead power walk if I am going to do something similar.

As for all the other advice re getting the right running shoes and replacing running shoes every so many miles and stretching and getting orthotics and the plantar fasciitis exercises I agree. Good luck @Alex T and remember age is just a number and it sure beats the alternative in any case. :appl: You are young in heart and mind and IMO young in age as well. Enjoy and be healthy.:appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

in health--Sharon

Thanks Sharon. I'm definitely going to get a sport store to fit me with the right shoe, as @chemgirl & @Asscherhalo_lover also suggested. I don't want to give up my running but you're right, and my joints & bits need to have many more years in them! My sister in law in the US had a hip replacement at 48, also a life long runner & Iron Man Champ. She's in her early 50's now & has been back competing for a while - she did an Iron Man in the Soit5h of France last week. She suggested orthotics in my shoes too, to correct my foot roll & gait.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi @Alex T

Ditto all of the above, esp. about shoes.

In 2012 I was shocked by my bathroom scale and decided to start running. The best move I made was going into a sports-specific shoe store, where a marathon-wizard put several things on my feet and recommended Asics (Brooks Dyad). My friends were pretty shook up by that - I'm the Imelda Marcos of Nike - and it still feels weird 9 years later to go sans-swoosh. But the Asics feel just right to me. Not saying they are for you. But if you haven't been 'fitted' to shoes it could make a big difference.

A few years ago my distance and frequency were the same as yours. I'm a 10K guy. As I've continued I find I sometimes need more than a day between runs to heal/recover. Here again, that's person-specific. At first I tried to force the issue and got frustrated. But once I decided to run when it felt right, it started feeling right.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Alex T

Ditto all of the above, esp. about shoes.

In 2012 I was shocked by my bathroom scale and decided to start running. The best move I made was going into a sports-specific shoe store, where a marathon-wizard put several things on my feet and recommended Asics (Brooks Dyad). My friends were pretty shook up by that - I'm the Imelda Marcos of Nike - and it still feels weird 9 years later to go sans-swoosh. But the Asics feel just right to me. Not saying they are for you. But if you haven't been 'fitted' to shoes it could make a big difference.

A few years ago my distance and frequency were the same as yours. I'm a 10K guy. As I've continued I find I sometimes need more than a day between runs to heal/recover. Here again, that's person-specific. At first I tried to force the issue and got frustrated. But once I decided to run when it felt right, it started feeling right.

Thank you John. I have made an appointment at a huge sports outlet to be fitted for shoes. I tend to always only run every other day, but I might do the odd Saturday as well as a Friday. You're right also to say that as we age we need to listen to our bodies a bit more. I definitely pick up injury more frequently & take longer to heal to boot. It's rubbish!

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree with @iluvshinythings. I think you might have planters fasciitis. You should see a podiatrist. When I was diagnosed with that, I was told not to walk barefoot, get orthotics, and wear Birkenstocks around the house. The only time I have flair ups is when I either don’t wear shoes with my orthotics, or don’t wear my Birkenstock’s.

Fingers crossed that your feet will be better soon.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @iluvshinythings. I think you might have planters fasciitis. You should see a podiatrist. When I was diagnosed with that, I was told not to walk barefoot, get orthotics, and wear Birkenstocks around the house. The only time I have flair ups is when I either don’t wear shoes with my orthotics, or don’t wear my Birkenstock’s.

Fingers crossed that your feet will be better soon.

Funnily enough, throughout warmer months I literally live in Birkenstocks. I have only stopped wearing them this last week as it's started raining. I absolutely love them, but they haven't made any difference to my sorely feet :(2

Also, I don't have any pain at all in my heels, which would be indicative of plantar fasciitis. My pains are along the fleshy outer edges & balls of my feet.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like it's a gait/footstrike issue, like the way your foot hits the ground doesn't distribute your weight ideally. It does sound like you probably will need some orthotics to correct your stride - I'm not a huge fan of the gait analyses they do at running stores (although think they're very good at helping with figuring out the best shoes) and would probably be inclined to ask your Physio if they can do it or to refer you to someone who does. Sorry if this was covered above, but are you doing any strength? Glute/leg/core strength all really contribute to good running form, and if those are weak, you might be hitting the ground with less control than you'd ideally like. And, lastly, I know it can be boring, but I'm a great believer that more treadmill, less concrete really contributes to fewer running injuries...

ETA - I've recently gone from being an Asics stalwart to a pair of Hoka One and am absolutely loving them, (although it took a few tries to find ones that weren't too wide).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started running again last month (though I've been sidelined with pneumonia for like 3 weeks now) and my biggest issue is actually my knees. God they ache!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA - I've recently gone from being an Asics stalwart to a pair of Hoka One and am absolutely loving them, (although it took a few tries to find ones that weren't too wide).
I totally second the Hoka shoes! Those are what I went with!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results