shape
carat
color
clarity

Question For Runners

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started running again last month (though I've been sidelined with pneumonia for like 3 weeks now) and my biggest issue is actually my knees. God they ache!
My ankles are what starts to ache when I start running again after a hiatus :confused2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like it's a gait/footstrike issue, like the way your foot hits the ground doesn't distribute your weight ideally. It does sound like you probably will need some orthotics to correct your stride - I'm not a huge fan of the gait analyses they do at running stores (although think they're very good at helping with figuring out the best shoes) and would probably be inclined to ask your Physio if they can do it or to refer you to someone who does. Sorry if this was covered above, but are you doing any strength? Glute/leg/core strength all really contribute to good running form, and if those are weak, you might be hitting the ground with less control than you'd ideally like. And, lastly, I know it can be boring, but I'm a great believer that more treadmill, less concrete really contributes to fewer running injuries...

ETA - I've recently gone from being an Asics stalwart to a pair of Hoka One and am absolutely loving them, (although it took a few tries to find ones that weren't too wide).

Thank you! Foot strike is something that hasn't crossed my mind :think:

I'm going to the sports shop this weekend d to get fitted for shoes. But the Hoka One trainers were what started the foot issues for me 18 months ago, as the pair I had were too tight in the toe box causing Morton's Neuroma (painful nodules on the nerves between metatarsal bones). Apart from that though, I LOVED the Hokas & had zero knee problems for the first time in ages! It's all been downhill from there pretty much though, although I was able to start running again in Jan. Just need to shake these aches & pains. It's depressing. Running is so importent to me & I don't do enough miles for serious wear & tear - I'm just a jogger for fun if you know what I mean? It keeps me fit & controls my weight.

ETA: Which Hoka were too wide for you, if that doesn't sound weird? I have wide feet, so the crushing in the toe box was a big problem for me. The New Balance have been my staple of years due to the wide fit.

Reactions: AV_

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: Which Hoka were too wide for you, if that doesn't sound weird? I have wide feet, so the crushing in the toe box was a big problem for me. The New Balance have been my staple of years due to the wide fit.
Try Brooks too. They have a wider toe box (a problem I was having when running in my Nike's).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaaron @ame I have just discovered that Hoka One now make the Cĺifton 6 for Women in a WIDE fitting! The toe box is 100mm across & my foot at the widest part measures 95mm, so I've ordered a pair. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: ame

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Replace shoes by 400ish miles. And the newer orthotics are really nice and flexible. Will take pics when I get home. And I love Newtons. Those are usually available only on line but they helped me transition from being a rear foot striker to a mid foot and hip and knee pain went away. Huge lugs under the sole. Supportive but stable. I used to wear ASICS but kept getting injured. Then I tried Newtons and was able to finish 8 marathons. So keep trying shoes until you find the right one for you. And get new ones frequently. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Replace shoes by 400ish miles. And the newer orthotics are really nice and flexible. Will take pics when I get home. And I love Newtons. Those are usually available only on line but they helped me transition from being a rear foot striker to a mid foot and hip and knee pain went away. Huge lugs under the sole. Supportive but stable. I used to wear ASICS but kept getting injured. Then I tried Newtons and was able to finish 8 marathons. So keep trying shoes until you find the right one for you. And get new ones frequently. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Thank you, lovely! I do replace my shoes twice a year, and I always know when they're due to be changed as my dodgy right knee reminds me. As soon as it starts aching, the shoes get replaced. I'm very optimistic about the Hoka wide fit I ordered yesterday, as when I first tried them last year, besides the tight toe box they felt like I was running on air & I was able to put more miles in & sometimes on consecutive days, without any aches or pains. Until the tight toe box ground my nerves :shock:

I have never heard of Newtons running shoes until they were mentioned in this thread? They are not a brand readily available in the UK, so shall have a read up online.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if your new shoes have arrived and how they are? I can't remember which ones were too wide for me - I only wore them a couple of times and then gave them to the charity shop. Funny that yours were too narrow! I have pretty narrow feet and I often find that the very light, flexible fabric running shoes are made of now has a surprising amount of give to it, so after they've been worn for a month or so, doesn't seem to hold my foot in position very well.

LLJsmom, I haven't heard of Newtons, but just googled them. They don't seem too widely available in the UK, but there are a few sellers. Going to order a pair right now! Thanks for the recommendation.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if your new shoes have arrived and how they are? I can't remember which ones were too wide for me - I only wore them a couple of times and then gave them to the charity shop. Funny that yours were too narrow! I have pretty narrow feet and I often find that the very light, flexible fabric running shoes are made of now has a surprising amount of give to it, so after they've been worn for a month or so, doesn't seem to hold my foot in position very well.

LLJsmom, I haven't heard of Newtons, but just googled them. They don't seem too widely available in the UK, but there are a few sellers. Going to order a pair right now! Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for checking in! They feel great when I put them on & are everything my Physio wants: tight heel grip, lace snugly across the top of my foot for stability with a wide toe box that I can wriggle my toes happily in.

I wore them for the first time today & during the first 10 minutes I was absolutely flying & felt like I was running literally on jelly! But then I had some friction set in along the arch of my right foot, along the seam where the insole meets the tread, which felt prickly. It became extremely uncomfortable & I had to stop shortly after at the 5k mark. I'm amazed it hasn't blistered - this evening there is just a faint red line along the arch of my foot. I've shown my husband, (who runs more than me & knows everything about shoes), and he said basically I need to wear them in a little around the house to flatten that seam a bit. He says it's perfectly normal & he's had Hoka One shoes in the past that he needed to tread in a bit before attempting to run, and assured me they weren't faulty, which I was questioning given the price of them & i was getting a bit shouty about Quality Control. He says I should ALWAYS wear a new brand of trainer in before going off out in them, and then raised an eyebrow at me like I was a naughty girl :lol:

So I shall plod around in them when I'm at home over the weekend & then try again on Monday. He assures me they'll be fine. Let me know what you think of the Newtons?

ETA: I have had significantly less aches in my feet tonight, which is a result!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaaron I have now run 3 times in the new Hoka One shoes, and so far so good. I padded around in them most of the weekend when at home to wear them to my feet a little, which made a huge difference when I ran on Monday to the comfort. Today I felt like I was running on air & ticked off 8k pretty quickly. The soles of my feet are feeling less achy & fatigued, though still not perfect. A definite improvement though.

Highly recommend!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results