shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Mr. Holloway - change 0.4 degrees and grades drop from ex to gd

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

guy57

Rough_Rock
Mr. Holloway,Here's a stone that I'm looking at:GIA cert
round brilliant cut
E color
VS2 clarity (light feathers on the peripheral)
1.58ct
56% table
61.8% depth
35.8 degrees crown angle
40.4 degrees pavillon angle
very good symmetry and polish I used the HCA and got 0.9. The ratings are ex-ex-ex-vg.However, I tried to play with the angles a little and found that if I use a pavillon angle of 40.8 degrees, the total score becomes 3.9 and ratings are gd-gd-gd-vg. Can you help me understand why such a small change in the pavillon angle (0.4 degrees) would change so much? Further, I understand that the Sarin report gives only averages, what should I do to ensure that the stone behaves more like 0.9 stone and not a 3.9 stone?Thanks for your help!

guy57

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying!Enjoy Italy! If you get a chance, don't miss Cinque Terre, by La Spezia.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Guy57,Garry is traveling now and I'm not sure that he will be able to answer your question soon.I tried answering myself though in the other thread...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
hi from italy
smile.gif
yes the pavilion causes 5 times the effect of crown angle or table size.even if that stone is off symmetry it will still be very good, but hard to explain with time i have now.good you are using angles not %'s too
garry h

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results