carat
color
clarity

Question for Missy and others with L color diamonds

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1393120986|3620898 said:
Have you considered having the stone recut into a transitional or OEC? Because I think you still may not be 100% pleased with a modern round brilliant in an antique style setting. I had that conflict myself until I changed to an AVR which works better with my other antique style pieces. You have a very large stone. Jonathan could have it cut into a gorgeous AVR for you and it would still be a very large stone!

Yes, I have thought about it, but...well, I love that it's 5 carats!! There, I said it. It's a mind thing. It is something to consider for the future, but not now.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, it has a small culet and a vintage flavor...I wouldn't call it "modern" round brilliant, though it is round brilliant. :) We compared it to a very pretty OEC that weighed more, but was smaller in diameter, and we were wowed by the diameter. My husband really wanted to go with a round brilliant, and I had the feeling of this diamond being "the one." It is like the big sister (or, um, Mama) of my mother's diamond. They're SO similar, but different sizes. Hers is about 1.5ct, but a bit spready because of a low crown angle - just like mine. It has a very special character to it that feels vintage even though it has the same facets as a modern cut stone. I know that my mom's was (sadly) recut from an OEC that belonged to my dad's grandmother, and I felt an instant kinship with my diamond because it reminded me of my mom's, which I have always loved.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1393160712|3621082 said:
Also, it has a small culet and a vintage flavor...I wouldn't call it "modern" round brilliant, though it is round brilliant. :) We compared it to a very pretty OEC that weighed more, but was smaller in diameter, and we were wowed by the diameter. My husband really wanted to go with a round brilliant, and I had the feeling of this diamond being "the one." It is like the big sister (or, um, Mama) of my mother's diamond. They're SO similar, but different sizes. Hers is about 1.5ct, but a bit spready because of a low crown angle - just like mine. It has a very special character to it that feels vintage even though it has the same facets as a modern cut stone. I know that my mom's was (sadly) recut from an OEC that belonged to my dad's grandmother, and I felt an instant kinship with my diamond because it reminded me of my mom's, which I have always loved.

Tourmaline, your diamond is very special to you and I am glad you found the stone of your dreams. That's the really hard part. You will find the perfect setting though there is some trial and error associated with that. I think you have narrowed down what is bothering you and how to fix it...have you thought about finding a vendor whose aesthetics match yours and figuring out how to get that perfect setting with them?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1393161137|3621084 said:
Tourmaline, your diamond is very special to you and I am glad you found the stone of your dreams. That's the really hard part. You will find the perfect setting though there is some trial and error associated with that. I think you have narrowed down what is bothering you and how to fix it...have you thought about finding a vendor whose aesthetics match yours and figuring out how to get that perfect setting with them?

Thanks, Missy! Yes, finding the stone was definitely the hard part. I had a few emails back and forth with Victor Canera, and, while I totally respect and admire his work and craftsmanship, he is also an artist committed to his own designs, and I need to be able to have more input in my setting's design components. I LOVE your ring, Missy, and I love the antique one I posted on the first page of this thread. I think OWD will be willing and able to create something for me that will have all the components I want, and I sent a detailed e-mail last night. I am in NY (not in the city, but it's a train or car ride away), and it will be a huge plus not to have to ship my diamond. Sort of on pins and needles waiting to hear back, hee hee.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1393162634|3621089 said:
missy|1393161137|3621084 said:

Thanks, Missy! Yes, finding the stone was definitely the hard part. I had a few emails back and forth with Victor Canera, and, while I totally respect and admire his work and craftsmanship, he is also an artist committed to his own designs, and I need to be able to have more input in my setting's design components. I LOVE your ring, Missy, and I love the antique one I posted on the first page of this thread. I think OWD will be willing and able to create something for me that will have all the components I want, and I sent a detailed e-mail last night. I am in NY (not in the city, but it's a train or car ride away), and it will be a huge plus not to have to ship my diamond. Sort of on pins and needles waiting to hear back, hee hee.

I am so excited for you Tourmaline...I think Adam is a doll to work with and so accommodating and helpful and he has an amazing eye. Wishing you lots of luck and hoping you are over the moon with your whole ring soon. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you Tourmaline!!! I hope OWD will make the dream setting for your stone.

You know I am an fan of your current setting but apparantly it isn't YOU and that's all that matters.
I can really relate to your story. I had several contemporary setting for my stone. Only to find out that a very modern setting did not match with my antique stone. I am so glad I discovered VC and the french cut settings via PS and another forum!!! It's the perfect setting for my stone. I am sure you will find yours at OWD!!!
The art deco setting that Arkie has would also be stunning with your diamond: no melee, classic with a twist but with a very updated look and 8 delicate prongs.

It's really good that you give it so much thought. And changing your mind is less costly than having to change several settings that do not work (which happened to me).

All the best and keep us updated on how OWD reacts on your email :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you will feel very differently about your diamond set into a setting with plain metal. I own a K-L color diamond and previously wore J and K color diamonds and I HATE the way those colors look when paired with small melee because it really brings out the body tint. I prefer to wear my diamond with plain metal setting and bands because of that effect. The contrast bothers me -- not the body color per se.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Missy! I'm excited! Can't wait for them to open tomorrow. :)

Thank you, Acinom! I am driving myself crazy, running it over and over in my head, but I like the direction I'm headed with it. I love the circles in Arkie's art deco VC ring, but the triangles don't suit me. I really want hearts between the prongs! VC said he has an idea for an 8-prong vintage-inspired setting with U-prongs and cutouts, but I am holding out for hearts and hoping OWD will be able to do them for me. :)

Thank you, Dreamer! Yes, that, exactly. :)

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline|1393190860|3621348 said:
Thanks, Missy! I'm excited! Can't wait for them to open tomorrow. :)

Thank you, Acinom! I am driving myself crazy, running it over and over in my head, but I like the direction I'm headed with it. I love the circles in Arkie's art deco VC ring, but the triangles don't suit me. I really want hearts between the prongs! VC said he has an idea for an 8-prong vintage-inspired setting with U-prongs and cutouts, but I am holding out for hearts and hoping OWD will be able to do them for me. :)

Thank you, Dreamer! Yes, that, exactly. :)

OWD can definitely do hearts for you. My experience going custom with Adam was fantastic. They really delivered EXACTLY what I drew up.

Here is OWD's heart version in RG which is a repro of hippi pixie's antique setting.

owd2_0.jpg
qoh.jpg
owd3_0.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
valmanin|1393195031|3621400 said:
OWD can definitely do hearts for you. My experience going custom with Adam was fantastic. They really delivered EXACTLY what I drew up.

Yay!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the romantic look of the OWD heart setting. Yay indeed!!

Will you opt for tiny hearts are a few larger ones? If you translate the example ring to your stone, the dimensions of the hearts will be much bigger, so that's something to consider.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1393202700|3621505 said:
I love the romantic look of the OWD heart setting. Yay indeed!!

Will you opt for tiny hearts are a few larger ones? If you translate the example ring to your stone, the dimensions of the hearts will be much bigger, so that's something to consider.

I will have 8 prongs, and I'd like the hearts to fit between the prongs, like where Missy's soft-edge triangles are on her ring. :)

I haven't heard back yet.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I called and spoke to Adam, and he is going to read through my email and get back to me.

I am driving my husband crazy with all the indecisiveness I've gone through about this setting! I do love the diamond, though. At least there's that! :)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So...before Adam even got a chance to get back to me, I sent him a note telling him to hold off, because I am still waffling! I keep going back and forth between the platinum idea and the gold idea, which are two totally different design directions (not just metal). This indecisiveness is weird for me!!! It might not bother me at all if yellow gold added more yellow (I have nothing against yellow) - I love warmth. I don't like the contrast between diamonds of different tones, we've established that. Gold is warmer than platinum (in color) and I keep going back to the idea of a setting like the gold one I posted in the first post of this thread. But...oh my goodness, the waffling. Thank you all for the input. I have to sit on this and see if I can stick with one desired direction for more than a few hours at a time. Gah!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results