shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for LG: Diavik starts winter shipments

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
LawGem...

Would you know if the material they are moving is all diamond rough? I imagine most of it is industrial, no?

win

Diavik Diamond Mines Inc. (DDMI) started shipments over the 2004 winter road, shipping fuel and other supplies as well as three new Komatsu 830E haul trucks.

On January 29, Diavik commenced shipping light loads over the ice road. The road, comprise of about 75 percent frozen lakes and ponds, was opened to full loads mid February.

Diavik expects to ship approximately 1,500 loads weighing a total of approximately 57 million tons over the 2004 ice road. Backhaul of about 50 loads, or about 1.5 million tons, also is anticipated.

Shipments to site include fuel and other supplies as well as three new Komatsu 830E haul trucks. The heaviest loads will be the haul truck chassis weighing about 50 tons each. The three haul trucks will bring the mining fleet to eleven.

Last year, Diavik shipped over 86,000 tons on the ice road (over 1500 loads to site and nearly 800 loads of backhaul).

The Diavik Diamond Mine is an unincorporated joint venture between DDMI (60 percent) and Aber Diamond Mines (40 percent).

Both companies are headquartered in Yellowknife. DDMI is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto plc of London, England, and Aber Diamond Mines Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aber Diamond Corporation of Toronto, Ontario.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
No, I am almost certain that release is talking about supply shipments (food, fuel, spare parts). They don't move ore over that road. It is all processed at the site and the rough is flown out. Also, this part:

---------------

Diavik expects to ship approximately 1,500 loads weighing a total of approximately 57 million tons over the 2004 ice road. Backhaul of about 50 loads, or about 1.5 million tons, also is anticipated.

----------------
has to be a typo. 1500 loads for a total of 57 million tons? That's 38,000 tons per truckload. Those ore truck are big, but not that big.
9.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh...ok LG, thanks for the clarification!!

I was ready to fall over at the sheer amount of rough!

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results