shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for ladies - Tiffany vs. others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thrill08

Rough_Rock
Need perspectives from the ladies -

After over 2 months of extensive researching for my future fiance''s diamond, I''m still undecided between Tiffany vs. all others. When I step into a Tiffany store, the brilliance of the ring blows me away. I''ve seen the Hearts of Fire, but it didn''t compare to Tiffany''s. Has anyone actually compared another ring next to a Tiffany''s?

My budget is $11,000 including a platinum ring and tax.
At Tiffany''s - 1.00 VS1 G for $12,294/ including tax
But from this one jeweler, I can get the ideal cut 1.10 VVS2 F (GIA certified)for less than $11,000/including tax and ring

The thing is the Tiffany''s ring described above was more brilliant than the GIA ideal cut.

I understand that Tiffany''s is heavily marked up, but I''d appreciate more perspectives on this.

Thank you.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a lady but here's my perspective...
3.gif

Is it the Tiffany's lighting or the Tiffany's diamond that blew you away?
2.gif

You'd be spending your money on the name brand. You should be able to get a larger diamond that is as nice or nicer than the Tiffany's diamond for the same price, something I think the ladies will appreciate...
10.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
...and the debate continues on...

thrill08 - do a search in pricescope for Tiffany. It's an ongoing debate...

And, as Nate suggested, it could easily be the lighting that blew you away... if you have any doubt, I would locate a quality diamond online, buy it (with a good return policy) - and then walk in Tiffany's and compare your internet diamond with the ones at Tiffany's and see if you notice a difference.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
We bought my 1.34 G VVS2 H & A ideal cut (bought from http://www.goodoldgold.com) for ALOT less than that price you quoted above.

Also, I have been in Tiffany's with my ring and believe me my ring in those lights sparkles just as much if not more than their stones. They obviously have a lot of money to spend on lighting and it really does make their stones look nice, but they are not any better than the super ideal stones you can buy online from many Pricescope vendors.

My suggestions is to purchased a ring from someone online here and then (while in the return period) take it into Tiffany's. You will see that the diamond will sparkle just as much. If it doesn't return it, and you are only out a shipping cost. But if it proves to be as nice as the Tiffany stone than you will likely have saved yourself a lot of money or can get a much bigger stone.

Just my opinion, but I would never buy a diamond from Tiffany's as they are way over priced and truely not any better than the stones you can find online.

Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WARNING!
angryfire.gif
WARNING!
angryfire.gif

FANCY JEWELRY LIGHTING ALERT
angryfire.gif

STEP AWAY FROM THE FANCY JEWELRY LIGHTING WHEN VIEWING DIAMONDS!
9.gif

The Tiffany's diamonds are just diamonds. Some better, some worse. You can get a spectacular Hearts and Arrows SUPER IDEAL CUT and Vatche setting, no sales tax, and have money left over buying through a Price Scope vendor.

Want to truly compare?? Ask Tiffany's for Depth and Table %'s, and Crown and Pavilion angles. Just because it's a GIA Cert doesn't mean they can't get you the info. All they have to do is call GIA for the Sarin Report. Plug the numbers into the HCA and see what rating you get. Then you really know what you are buying and how much bang you'll get for your buck.
2.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
pq - you are funny. But to be fair, tweedy did say the Tiffany store he went to could or will provide him the crown and pavil info.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think Jax's idea is best. You can't really compare sparkle until you bring another diamond in. Plus, the case lighting is supposed to be nicer than the general store lighting, so buy your ring, ask them to take a similar Tiffany *out* of the case, and compare your ring to the Tiffany side by side.

I work just a few blocks from both a Tiffany and another store that sells Lazare diamonds (the kind of diamonds sold by Tiffany as well). I step into Tiffany a lot just to admire the jewelry. Trust me, those stones, however lovely, do not sparkle any more than my mom's unbranded H&A. It's really just the lighting. Too bad Tiffany won't let you take the rings out of the store so you can look at them in sunlight.

deejay

Rough_Rock
Hello Thrill08,
If you have a budget of 11,000 then you need only to take a little time and save the other 1,294.00 and get the ring from Tiffany. It appealed to you and you found many more plusses from the Tiffany ring than the other vendor. The only thing holding you back is a slight increase in what you budgeted to spend. Go ahead and save for the Tiffany... or if time is of the essence take out a small loan. Either way get that Tiffany, you liked it better anyway....And happy engagement Thrill!.....deejay
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW there is no 'GIA ideal cut'....and if the vendor/jeweler didnt give you crown and pav angles on that stone, then you don't know if its even close to being ideal or rather more specifically, excellently cut.

Depending on your priorities (e.g. what is most important? Brand name? Color? Clarity? Size?) you can go so many places with that $11k you have to spend. I was looking on Pscope yesterday for fun and saw a 1.50c H SI1 ACA SuperIdeal excellently cut H&A stone for $10k from WhiteFlash.com. Well-cut stones face up whiter than typical stones, and SI1 is visually the same as VVS as long as its eye clean. If I had $11k to spend, that would definitely be my choice!
1.gif

You also know your girl best and what would make her heart flip (besides you on your knee). Is it an excellent well-cut stone for the best possible price? That's probably not Tiffany. Is it brand and the inscription in the band and the lifetime warranty (btw most jewelers will do that for you on a setting etc)? That's definitely Tiffany.

Run an archive search and read the countless posts on this same question. You may gain some insight, but in the end you do what feels best to you and what you feel most comfortable with. Your budget is very healthy and my real advise is to spend it wisely!

Good luck!
1.gif

thrill08

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your insights. I'll try to find a store with a good return policy (maybe even online) and take it to Tiffany's. I guess that is the only way to settle the brillance issue of Tiffany's vs others.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Comparing diamonds is a good idea. Find yourself a really well cut "standard" diamond to use. Be sure to compare similar carat weight, color, and clarity ratings. Check 1 carat, G, VS against 1 carat, G, VS. Make it an apples to apples comparison.

Try moving around the store away from the counter lighting with the diamonds. Ask the sales clerk if you can take them into the bathroom to get a better idea of more normal type lighting. If the shop has a store front window that faces outdoors, move near it to look at them in indirect outdoor light. See if you can go into a room where you can turn off all the lights and view the diamonds by candlelight. Candlelight reveals just how good the cut really is. Lots of diamonds can sparkle in bright light. Great diamonds fire and shimmer even in low level lighting conditions. Think about eating dinner in a really nice restaurant. Will her ring catch ever spec of light and flash across the room or fade into the scenery?

If you are really sold on the idea and/or setting of Tiffany's, then buy a Tiffany's ring. It is nothing to be ashamed of. Most people here will tell you that you can buy a truly GREAT diamond for less money from a Price Scope vendor. You just can't get THAT setting and THAT little blue box here.

Good Luck with your comparison and your decision.
1.gif

tucker_emma

Rough_Rock
You are going to get a better quality experience at Tiffany's and they do stand behind their products 100%. They have the best reputation for a reason. She must be a very lucky girl. Do be aware that their platinum has a unique mixture and so the color does not match other jewelers platinum. I would suggest going into a Tiffany's store and asking them point blank why you should purchase from them versus another company or an independent store. Whatever you do...do not shop at Shane Company! They are a rip-off and I learned the hard way. Good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 4:30
6.gif
2 PM tucker_emma wrote:

Do be aware that their platinum has a unique mixture and so the color does not match other jewelers platinum.
----------------

I've never heard this before. Could you elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results