shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Cut Geeks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
With a radiant shape, what cut characteristics drive the visual effects of white brilliance or firey dispersion?

Not sure if there is a short answer, but I'm curious as to what proportions or minor details will result in a radiant diamond with either a lot more brilliance or a lot more dispersion. Is there a simple answer?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Bump.
rolleyes.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
bump.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Poor Homer, the reason you're having to "BUMP" your thread in hopes of an answer is that there is not a specific range of proportions that yields consistent results... Perhaps it is due to the fact that there is a distinct difference in the facet structure of the pavilion section of the diamond as compared to a round where the facets are consistent and aligned with each other... The best we've been able to get our cutters to produce for Radiant Cut diamonds is Excellent polish with Very Good symmetry - they claim that this is because of a difference in how they feel the facets of a Radiant Cut Diamond should be made as opposed to how the GIA thinks they should be... Truth be told, we're more apt to believe the cutter on this one because they give us Excellent polish and symmetry on the Asscher cuts they produce for us... You might find the "Shape Picker" http://www.gemappraisers.com/GradeForm.asp developed by David Atlas to be helpful in terms of see what the Radiant Cut diamond you are considering will look like in terms of the Length to Width ratio... By the way, to determine the length to width ratio of a diamond you would divide the length of the diamond by the width and compare it to 1.00 so if the diamond measured 8.44 mm in length x 5.62 mm in width you would divide 8.44 / 5.62 and get a result of 1.50 which you would compare to 1.00 as 1.50:1.00 which would be a more traditional rectangular looking stone, if you preferred a square radiant you would want something as close to 1.00:1.00 as you could find... David Atlas has also published a proportions chart which he feels represents the better combinations for fancy shape diamonds, but our experience with it has been that while it is "quite helpful" in terms of narrowing down the list of possibilities it has not been an absolute indicator of potential as far as the selection process goes... We usually end up rejecting significantly more fancy shape diamonds even when using his chart than we do with rounds... The best advice that we can offer is to work with a vendor who will evaluate the diamonds on your behalf and then have the diamond evaluated by an independent Gemologist so that you have a second opinion regarding the stone...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Homey,
1.gif

My experience with radiants over the course of time has not been good. Yes they are cheaper than the other squares with tapered corners (ie. Flanders, Lucere) but rarely and I mean RARELY do I find or see a radiant cut with the kind of fire and brilliance that I'm spoiled on in the finer cuts. If you study the finest flanders and even princess cuts on our website this will give you a handle on what proportions yield the best fire and light return.

Currently if a person were considering a diamond with an emphasis on scintillation over fire or brilliance THEN I would suggest a radiant. Some of the finest radiants we've tested have usually excelled in scintillation over everything else as there will usually not be the broad bold flashes of dispersed light but moreso many tiny tinkles of white light contributing to the scintillation at the diamond is moved or rocked. Most radiatns leak like a sieve.

Rhino

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info. No good answer, that's what I figured. NiceIce, I appreciate the guidance, but I'm past those stages now. Did all the research and now even have the stone. Rhino, you nailed the description dead on. Scintillation, lots of it. But when it hits the right light, it screams. It definitely is a matter of taste. I consider radiants to have a more refined, quieter beauty. Like emeralds, but with that extra flare. A very fitting stone for the right personality. The rb's, regents and flanders are all more "hey, look at me." I guess it's a personality thing.
tongue.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely Homer. Glad you are happy with your choice. If you're ever up yonder stop by and let me have a peek!
1.gif
I just love a nice scintillating radiant!
1.gif

Kind regards,
Rhino

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I didn't find out how close you were until too late. I probably would have made the trip, maybe in the future. I'm sure I'll be in the market for more in the future. I've shared my addiction with her and now she is a little more interested in jewelry than before. My setting is almost done, if I can get some good shots (35mm SLR, no digital) I'll be sure to post.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results