shape
carat
color
clarity

question for coloured stone ladies (lab created)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
So I am not currently doing a project anytime soon. I hope by the time my 7 year rolls around I will be able to do something. So in the meantime while I wait a couple more years I am trying to decide what colour to do because eventually i want a matching set of jewellery.

I currently have a blue sapphire from Stag and Finch that I like a lot and love wearing. But I won't lie. It wasn't the colour it was meant to be. I had ordered their lightest lab blue and the stone was like NOPE!! I'm going to be light periwinkle instead!! So I was like well this is still pretty light? And took it anyway.

I'm a goth girl at heart so I do love love love love rubies. But I overwash my hands so hard my skin is constantly irritated and I worry with so much red it will look bad. Plus I part time wear a rose gold band. The final setting is planned to be a 3 stone with 2 diamond baguettes in platinum similar to what I already wear.

I was considering a royal blue but I spend most of my life in orange lighting and dim lighting and it seems dark blues will turn black. So royal blue seems like it's out. We considered getting that gorgeous paraiba sapphire (sp?) because I truly love it but it seems it's a one off from the manufacturer so by the time I can get a yes and order it will likely be gone. So that is out too sadly.

So I'm not quite sure what to do. I was considering maybe green sapphire? But I would imagine the darker shade has the same issues as the royal blue with turning dark. I love black stones. I even have a black diamond wedding ring that I wish my fingers could fit in again. I just really prefer my coloured stones not be black. So I don't know quite what to do. Periwinkle blues just don't work out as much for me unless I am constantly in my living room and kitchen. Which I definitely am not.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss. In my ideal world the manufacturers would figure out multiple colour sapphires and I would get a blue green or blue yellow or a blue white or even green and something. But that hasn't happened yet lmao.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, 'd back off from too heavily considering "practical" concerns like your hands being red from washing them a lot, what color matches pieces you might wear it with, or the type of lighting you're usually in.

I feel like that way, while you might end up with something that is the most practical, it's not so much how to end up with something you absolutely love.

When you picture your dream ring on your hand, what color is the stone? (From what you've said so far, it sounds like it would be red). That's the one I'd get. I'd rather have the stone I really wanted and just let it be on a reddish hand, or not its best in certain lighting, or put the rose gold band on the other hand when I wear it.

Also, I don't think it's possible to know for sure if you'll love any particular stone before you get it and think about it for a while. If you have it custom cut, you won't be able to see it ahead of time. And even if it's already made, what you see on a computer screen necessarily differs a bit from what you receive in real life.

I have a couple of lab stones now that I'll probably sell. If you get a custom setting, that usually costs a lot more than the lab stone (mine do anyway). It might take more than one try to get a stone you love. So if I think a stone might not be quite right, I don't have a problem trying again, then selling the one I least prefer on Loupetroop. JMHO and please let us see what you get!

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Do you like cornflower blue? Or peacock blue?

M

maru8888777

Have you looked at some of the lab spinels? They are pretty neon and work in a lot of different lighting. I have a Finewater one (no pictures on me, but there are some in the colored stones thread), and I believe it's a bit darker than the Precision Gem ones, which you might like...

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, 'd back off from too heavily considering "practical" concerns like your hands being red from washing them a lot, what color matches pieces you might wear it with, or the type of lighting you're usually in.

I feel like that way, while you might end up with something that is the most practical, it's not so much how to end up with something you absolutely love.

When you picture your dream ring on your hand, what color is the stone? (From what you've said so far, it sounds like it would be red). That's the one I'd get. I'd rather have the stone I really wanted and just let it be on a reddish hand, or not its best in certain lighting, or put the rose gold band on the other hand when I wear it.

Also, I don't think it's possible to know for sure if you'll love any particular stone before you get it and think about it for a while. If you have it custom cut, you won't be able to see it ahead of time. And even if it's already made, what you see on a computer screen necessarily differs a bit from what you receive in real life.

I have a couple of lab stones now that I'll probably sell. If you get a custom setting, that usually costs a lot more than the lab stone (mine do anyway). It might take more than one try to get a stone you love. So if I think a stone might not be quite right, I don't have a problem trying again, then selling the one I least prefer on Loupetroop. JMHO and please let us see what you get!

For your first paragraph. That is a good point about not worrying about the red hands. That's something I can work on. But I won't lie. The intention is to eventually have a matching set because I have problems and love matching. I also tend to be fairly minimal with the amount of stuff I own. So having different coloured rings in my box would just take up space and be annoying.
How it looks in lighting also feels important because I would like to like it in the lighting I spend the most time in. And I don't currently adore my sapphire in the light I am in constantly. I just feel like :/

And you're definitely right about not knowing what a custom cut sapphire will look like. Mine looks amazing in the right light. Like A+ in the right light. As does my custom cut ruby I got awhile back because I was trying to get a ruby moval. But once it came in the shape and faceting weren't quite right. The colour was but the table size and all around shape bug me. But I'm definitely using it as experience to show the next cutter what I didn't like.

As for what my dream colour is? Well that's part of the issue. I love love love a good blue sapphire. it's what I thought of when I think engagement ring. But my little goth heart also loves certain colours of garnets and rubies. My first ring I had made for myself was a little half carat blood red garnet in white gold. I was so sad when I lost it. Hence part of my problem xD love them both too much! Like I said earlier too. Green is a contender too. I never thought I would love a green stone but here I am loving green lol.

And absolutely I will come back when I have bought to show this sub-section :D hopefully that wasn't too much blah blah blah.

Have you looked at some of the lab spinels? They are pretty neon and work in a lot of different lighting. I have a Finewater one (no pictures on me, but there are some in the colored stones thread), and I believe it's a bit darker than the Precision Gem ones, which you might like...

Yes actually I have a few spinels in a medium blue that I really love! They are almost a kind of colgate mouthwash blue that i just love taking out and looking at. But I think I'm way too hard to wear spinels. I got my sapphire and not even 48 hours went by and I had scratched the meet points on it just walking down my stairs like a turtle. So I would not dare wear anything less than a 9 :(

Do you like cornflower blue? Or peacock blue?

It depends? I love the look of what Google image searches are calling velvet for blues. It almost looks electric. I also really love the ice blue shades. Like really really light icy colour. Stag and Finch has a beautiful shade called Arctic blue, which is what my stone was supposed to be lmao. But it did not want to behave.

I also really like sapphires that are multiple colours. I like seeing obvious blue and greens for example. Or green and yellow or whatever. Caleb Quashen, hope I spelled his name right, does these well. But those are naturals unfortunately and will remain out of our stone budget probably forever lol. Unless the lab manufacturers figure themselves out and make more xD

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
For your first paragraph. That is a good point about not worrying about the red hands. That's something I can work on. But I won't lie. The intention is to eventually have a matching set because I have problems and love matching. I also tend to be fairly minimal with the amount of stuff I own. So having different coloured rings in my box would just take up space and be annoying.
How it looks in lighting also feels important because I would like to like it in the lighting I spend the most time in. And I don't currently adore my sapphire in the light I am in constantly. I just feel like :/

And you're definitely right about not knowing what a custom cut sapphire will look like. Mine looks amazing in the right light. Like A+ in the right light. As does my custom cut ruby I got awhile back because I was trying to get a ruby moval. But once it came in the shape and faceting weren't quite right. The colour was but the table size and all around shape bug me. But I'm definitely using it as experience to show the next cutter what I didn't like.

As for what my dream colour is? Well that's part of the issue. I love love love a good blue sapphire. it's what I thought of when I think engagement ring. But my little goth heart also loves certain colours of garnets and rubies. My first ring I had made for myself was a little half carat blood red garnet in white gold. I was so sad when I lost it. Hence part of my problem xD love them both too much! Like I said earlier too. Green is a contender too. I never thought I would love a green stone but here I am loving green lol.

And absolutely I will come back when I have bought to show this sub-section :D hopefully that wasn't too much blah blah blah.

Yes actually I have a few spinels in a medium blue that I really love! They are almost a kind of colgate mouthwash blue that i just love taking out and looking at. But I think I'm way too hard to wear spinels. I got my sapphire and not even 48 hours went by and I had scratched the meet points on it just walking down my stairs like a turtle. So I would not dare wear anything less than a 9 :(

It depends? I love the look of what Google image searches are calling velvet for blues. It almost looks electric. I also really love the ice blue shades. Like really really light icy colour. Stag and Finch has a beautiful shade called Arctic blue, which is what my stone was supposed to be lmao. But it did not want to behave.

I also really like sapphires that are multiple colours. I like seeing obvious blue and greens for example. Or green and yellow or whatever. Caleb Quashen, hope I spelled his name right, does these well. But those are naturals unfortunately and will remain out of our stone budget probably forever lol. Unless the lab manufacturers figure themselves out and make more xD

Have you considered light blue moissanite?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results