shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for cat peeps

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My son recently got a kitten. He wants to purchase one of these furniture tree things.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYQ100/ref=psdc_2975248011_t1_B0051O3DTU

But either they are pricey or have 1 and 2 star reviews make him hesitant. Can anyone with experience with these things recommend one that will truly hold an adult size cat well, will hold up to the scratching, and is not top heavy, therefore falling over? If we find one that warrants the money, I would help him out with it.

Also, if there are any tried and true cat necessities that don't cost an arm and a leg, would love to hear about them.

TIA

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ellen, congratulations to your son!

We have 4 cats and I find our cats amuse themselves quite easily and love boxes. In fact we have bought them so many toys and accessories and they usually end up playing in the boxes they came in LOL.

We also have a cat tree that some of our cats love and hang out in whereas the others don't so it depends on the cat. Our cats love looking out the windows most of all so I would suggest perhaps something to allow them to do so comfortably like a cat window seat?

They love the laser light and love chasing it so we play with that so they can have extra exercise and fun. They would do that for hours if I had the energy.

As long as your cat gets to play and is loved and fed and gets attention you will have a happy cat. A well loved cat is a happy cat and doesn't need fancy toys. IMO. Best of luck and congratulations to your son for his (and your) new addition to the family!!! :appl:

Just wanted to add that usually adopting 2 cats is a good idea so they can entertain each other and keep each other company while your son is not at home. Cats are social animals contrary to what some people think and need and love the company of each other as well as their human family members.

Oh if you have the chance could you please post pics of the kitten? Thanks!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cats are funny. I feel like they love "free things" more than the toys we painstakingly pick out to buy for them! :lol:

Crumple up a piece a paper - wow! Open up a delivery from amazon - thank you mama for the new "bed"! - I love brown boxes! Why are you throwing away that piece of aluminum foil? It's the best soccerball I've ever had! Thank you mama for the fresh pile of laundry aka the NEW "cat bed". :lol: :lol: :lol: WOW - SHADOWS! MORE SHADOWS! I have to smack the wall wherever I see beams of LIGHT or DARK!

Oh, how can we forget TOESIES! You were sleeping, mama, and I had to bat them or else they'd wiggle off your feet in your sleep!

So enjoy the kitten first, get to know the kitten's personality, then slowly add "investment" toys like the big cat tree!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's actually a good price on Amazon, and it looks like a sturdy one. I like to look in person as some are more stable than others, but you'd pay way more in a pet store.

The kitten will need some form of scratching post. I rub new ones with a bit of catnip, and use lots of praise when scratching occurs until it is an established habit. Otherwise they'll find other things to use, as this is needed to keep their claws and muscles healthy.

Also as a FYI, I clip my cats claws. Just with regular nail clippers (held sideways to the curve of their claw so you can see exactly where you are clipping), and being careful to just take off the tips above the quick. It avoids a lot of scratches when playing and makes them kneading on your lap way more comfortable. It also helps to prevent furniture snags when they are playing.

Eta: hmmm, apparently catnip might repel kittens (per the website posted above). Might want to skip it just in case. (All my cats have been rescues, so only one was a kitten, and he had lots of observational learning so never needed encouragement to use the post).

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two of these - cardboard scratch lounge - and my cat LOVES them. He doesn't scratch our furniture or our rugs and I believe that's because we have these. My mom got some for her cats, and she's had the same result I believe. You can sprinkle it with a little catnip too, to help spark his interest and loyalty to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Scratch-Lounge-Worlds-Scratcher/dp/B000EIHQU0/ref=sr_1_12?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1465737393&sr=1-12&keywords=cardboard+cat+scratcher

I like the cat stand you picked out, and I think that price is pretty good for that configuration. I have one that three of my cats have loved. All three only used the platforms, and never bothered with the 'caves'. Some used the twine scratching parts too. So I'd say simpler is better, and having a high platform is the biggest draw. Especially if your son can position it near a window.

We have bought many toys for our current kitty. He had zero interest in any of them (aside from the cardboard scratcher). He will sometimes play with a balled up piece of paper or aluminum, and sometimes the kids can get him to chase around the end of a string of yarn.

All the cats I've had or known except our current cat go nuts for a laser!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for offering your seasoned advice!

Missy, I wanted to post a pic, but they're all on my phone and I have no clue how to transfer. I will take some on my camera and post. He is adorable, and his name is Henry. (and he may be the only grandchild I ever get lol)

Thanks for the laser suggestion. I want to think my son mentioned once cats like that, but I will tell him he might want to go ahead and get one.

He does love boxes, and my son made a door and hole in one and he does use it. My son also read about paper balls, so started making those and now Henry not only chases them, he retrieves maybe half the time. Is that normal for a cat or is he part dog? :o :bigsmile:

The couch is in front of the window and yes, that is one of his favorite perches. ::)

The reason for the tree is that he seems to like to climb and leap, I think he may be sorta high energy?

As for two cats, he heard that a lot when getting Henry. However, as some may remember from the Vit D thread I made a while back, he is not well, and suffers from anxiety. (though since getting on several supplements it had reduced considerably) So he was not sure about taking two on and just got the one. He finally decided he thought he could handle another, and got one of Henry's sisters yesterday. It didn't go well, and Henry kept attacking her repeatedly. (I guess we thought since they were sibs and hadn't even been separated a month, they would know each other) I don't mean lightly, he was pinning, biting, pulling hair, growling. While I know he may have been showing her who was boss, and maybe it would have subsided, it was going to require separating, work, and time. My son just couldn't deal with it all, so we took her back. :((

Overall though, the (one!) cat has been quite therapeutic and we are both really glad he got him. :appl:

Thanks again for all your help Missy.

pinto, yeah, we are seeing that they do like the free things! And that's good. But my son really does feel Henry would enjoy the tree, so I said I would ask.

LJ, thank you for posting those options. Maybe he should get some hot wheels?!

cmd, he does have a scratch post, but not sure how often he uses it. I will tell my son about the cat nip, thanks! And yes, my son read you can clip with regular clippers and Henry was fine letting him do it. Good thing, kitty claws are sharp!

Thanks for the pricing heads up. he did look at pet store but yeah, even pricier and he was not impressed.

Thanks again all!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainy, I have to get ready to leave, so I will look at your link when I get back. Thank you!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We have 3 cats and they all have very different personalities. One likes window sills, one will knock pillows over and sit on those etc. We don't have a cat tree because we honestly don't think they'd bother.

We do have a few carpet and twine scratching posts. They are still a bit expensive for what they are, but they save the furniture. The cats manage to destroy one about every six months or so. We see them as disposable at this point.

Second trimming their claws. They scratch less if their claws are trimmed. We have some pet nail trimmers and I believe they were less than $10.

Just saw your reply covered all of this! Goodluck.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW I buy my cat furniture from a vendor that frequents CFA cat shows. The vendor is ARUBACAT and he makes high quality, study cat trees. http://www.arubacat.com/ . They're a bit on the pricey side, but last forever.

My fur babies were trained at an early age to scratch on sisal posts. They do not scratch my furniture. They have cat trees all over and love them. Cats in general like to be high up and watch the goings on from that vantage point. It can also be a get away point from annoying pets or children. The ones that have houses or caves attached allow them a quiet space when they want to be alone. Mine climb up on the one in my family room when they want extra attention.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ellen

You already got a ton of great tips ::)

I'm impressed that you already know about looking for cat trees that won't topple over / feel secure ::) look for a large base in anything you buy - and definitely larger than whatever the top "platform" is - that is one way to tell at a glance (for the most part) if something will feel secure for the cats to get on. And the bigger/heavier the cat, the more important that is.

Free toys - straws, paper "balls", paper tunnels (get a heavier type paper - like what you sometimes get as packing material, that brown heavier weight paper - and set it up like a tunnel), plastic bags (make sure you rip the handles so they can't choke/get tangled on them).

Remember - no strings, no rubber bands, be careful with toilets, curtains, etc.

The one thing about lasers...there are some who say that not being able to ever catch something can be frustrating to the cat, and that makes sense to me, so I personally don't use them. And when I play with them with regular toys I make sure that every once in a while I let them catch the toy.

We have the best scratching post ever (mostly because of its super sturdy base and post height, and because it doesn't look totally horrible) - http://www.purrfectpost.com/the-purrfect-post-info/

I see they are now making towers - take a look at them - I'm thinking someone who understands how the post needs to be designed would do the same for the towers.

Some cats are vertical scratchers, some are horizontal scratchers - some both - so to satisfy both preferences we also have two of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UF1JEU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have a gorgeous cat tower which we placed against a corner - I love it - but - in my opinion, the base should be a tad bit larger. It has no chance of toppling over - but it wobbles a tiny bit when the cats run up it. And my opinion, there should be no wobbling at all. Especially not for that price.

(I hope we get to see pictures of the kitten! :appl:)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - nail trimming is important! I just use human nail clippers for my kitties. And if you get a cat scratcher, don't get one covered in carpet, or else they cat will assume every carpeted area is ONE BIG SCRATCH POST! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since the kitten likes to retrieve the ball, this is a great opportunity to teach the kitty tricks. Sit before daddy throws the ball again! My kitties all know how to sit and beg. Kitty #1 knows shake hands, Kitty #2 also knows "go to your spot, shake hands, other hand, and kisses". Kitty #3, well, we're just glad that she introduced "beg" to the family and the big girls picked it up from her LOLOLOL! She sits too now!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean,

That's funny about carpet vs sisal for scratching posts. None of my guys over the years would use the sisal ones (which is unfortunate as they tend to be more reasonably priced), only the carpet covered ones, and they've had no problem knowing that the post = ok and the rugs are not (but I can see how that might be different for some cats, as each one has their own personality quirks).

Kittens/young cats are very energetic. I'd personally avoid giving them plastic bags (grocery type bags or other thin ones) due to the risk of suffocation, but my cats have all insanely loved boxes and brown paper bags...even cloth tote bags are super fun to hide in. Crumpled paper balls and those wand toys are favorites too, and there are dental toys that encourage chewing made of mesh that help keep their teeth in good shape (they are $$$ for what you get, but my guy is 10 now and has never needed a tooth cleaning, so they must be working).

That's too bad about the other kitten. It's pretty normal (although you'd think a month wouldn't have been long enough to forget a sibling), but it's stressful when you're in the introduction phase and it can take a while. I think it was 3 weeks before my last two stopped having conflict (euphamism for my old cat stopping trying to beat up the kitten) and became good friends. Plus, honestly, some cats are more open to being around others than other cats are. So long as you are providing lots of attention and stimulation, he should be fine.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014 said:
I'd personally avoid giving them plastic bags (grocery type bags or other thin ones) due to the risk of suffocation, but my cats have all insanely loved boxes and brown paper bags...even cloth tote bags are super fun to hide in.

OMG that is an excellent observation.

I'd add that for MOST toys, the kitten should be 100% supervised when he/she's playing. Too easy to get suffocated, swallow things, etc.

Also - I should have mentioned this when I posted - be on the lookout for any weird attraction to plastic (for example, one of my cats EATS plastic - I cannot leave any around.)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1465741392|4043195 said:
cmd2014 said:
I'd personally avoid giving them plastic bags (grocery type bags or other thin ones) due to the risk of suffocation, but my cats have all insanely loved boxes and brown paper bags...even cloth tote bags are super fun to hide in.

I'd add that for MOST toys, the kitten should be 100% supervised when he/she's playing. Too easy to get suffocated, swallow things, etc.

Also - I should have mentioned this when I posted - be on the lookout for any weird attraction to plastic (for example, one of my cats EATS plastic - I cannot leave any around.)

DH says I'm paranoid, especially since our guy is 19lbs of tabby and would be easily able to shred a bag, but I worry, ya-know? I've also become paranoid about the front load washer/dryer since our local paper ran a story warning that cats like to crawl inside (especially if partly full of laundry waiting to be done) and can be killed if you don't see them and run the load of laundry. I always look to see where the cat is now before closing the door and turning them on.

My guy loves to chew power cords. We've had to rub them all with that bitter stuff. Even then we've had to replace tv cables and lamp cords because they were full of tooth marks. Plus he likes to bite the Christmas lights off the tree, so we had to switch to an unlit one. Buts he's a weirdo in a lot of ways. I always say it's a good thing we love him!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opilio's first toys were the sponges from the kitchen sink and round cereal. I could never figure out where the sponges kept disappearing to, until I saw Opilio trot by with one in her mouth-and when I stood up, she charged behind the couch, and we found her stash of sponges and Trix/Coco Puffs etc. She's outgrown that now.

Our very first cat, before we were married, we had a tall cat tree, w/three levels, that had a spring pole keeping at the ceiling. Bella would start in one end of the house and do her crazy yodeling and tear thru the house, running up the cat tree to the top.

The girls play fight w/each other. They love to sit in the window sills when the windows are open. Sometimes I take the bread twisty tie and curl it around my finger in a ringlet and toss it on the floor. Goose loves it. I save a few packing peanuts now and again. They like boxes. Before Goose learned how to get over the back fence, I used to let the girls outside and they'd chase leaves and play in the plants, roll in the dirt. They all love the laser pointer-the kids run out the batteries lickety split tho-which I can't blame them, it's pretty funny to watch them freak out on the red light.

We built them a cat tree out of a bakers rack. It's in the basement and has turned into a place for JD to toss his clothes so they don't use it as much as I'd like, but they do sit on it. I think if they had been kittens they'd play w/it more-we got them all as adults and they're a little unsure of what it's for, other than to sit on.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1465742458|4043207 said:
CJ2008|1465741392|4043195 said:
cmd2014 said:

DH says I'm paranoid, especially since our guy is 19lbs of tabby and would be easily able to shred a bag, but I worry, ya-know? I've also become paranoid about the front load washer/dryer since our local paper ran a story warning that cats like to crawl inside (especially if partly full of laundry waiting to be done) and can be killed if you don't see them and run the load of laundry. I always look to see where the cat is now before closing the door and turning them on.

My guy loves to chew power cords. We've had to rub them all with that bitter stuff. Even then we've had to replace tv cables and lamp cords because they were full of tooth marks. Plus he likes to bite the Christmas lights off the tree, so we had to switch to an unlit one. Buts he's a weirdo in a lot of ways. I always say it's a good thing we love him!

huh nothing constitutes as paranoid in my book when it comes to the cats :lol: so I totally get you.

Yes, one of my cats loves to go in the dryer, especially when clothes are in there. If I let him he'd hang out in there and add even more hair to our clothes. :roll: (and yes, this cat is a weirdo too. He drives us nuts and requires so much patience. But we love him. :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grow your own catnip, and cardboard box. :dance: :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so some cats are vertical scratchers some are horizontal scratchers.

With cats it's all trial and error. I have a number of cats, so I've got both types. There is no guarantee what will work for your cat. I have a $500 cat tree I got on Craigslist for 50 bucks because the original owners cats (plural) ignored it. 2 of mine love it.

And I'm all about affordable. So here you go, two things I would definitely say are worth the investment:
https://www.chewy.com/scratch-lounge-original-scratch/dp/49353?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Scratch%20Lounge&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAjwkPS6BRD2ioKR7K245jASJAD1ZqHOhSobqJkWOCwsAy7B_mxcnv8XVzdD9XGr74y8nomrtRoC8krw_wcB

Since he's a kitten he'll love this and be able to play in it when he is older too:
https://www.amazon.com/Tunnel-Leopard-Print-Crinkly-Kitten/dp/B00DTBX3SI/ref=cm_rdp_product

Some cats are cat tree cats, other's are not. Until you know which one you have, stick to a very affordable tree under 70 bucks. It will probably wear out relatively fast if the kitten scratches on it fiercely, but by then you'll know and you can upgrade to a better tree.

Good starter tree: http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Supplies/New-Cat-Condos-24-Elevated-Cat-Bed-Tree/6151047/product.html?refccid=XTBVCF7JPINKKEKFGK466HXCIU&searchidx=36 This will let you know if the cat is even going to be interested in a cat tree.

Another good starter tree: http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Supplies/New-Cat-Condos-Mini-Cat-Pagoda-House/6205891/product.html?refccid=XTBVCF7JPINKKEKFGK466HXCIU&searchidx=43

I have two similar to this (and two others) and it is a nice one in terms of style: http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Supplies/New-Cat-Condos-50-inch-Premier-Kitty-Pad-Cat-Tree-and-Scratcher/8060375/product.html

So something like this would be the upgrade: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5629388491111762762?q=cat+tree&biw=1002&bih=441&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.124272578,d.cGc&tch=1&ech=1&psi=8dVdV4TNJaWWjQPpl5-ADw.1465767414532.5&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitn7W1uaPNAhUJyWMKHbhQAEQ4FBDzAgikAzAE

Or this as an upgrade: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4816638116855826120?q=cat+tree&biw=1002&bih=441&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.124272578,d.cGc&tch=1&ech=1&psi=8dVdV4TNJaWWjQPpl5-ADw.1465767414532.7&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHqNfXuaPNAhVOwWMKHadeDaw4KBDzAgiBAzAA

I wouldn't invest a 100 bucks yet though. He may completely ignore the tree. It's happened before. :wavey:

If you get the scratch lounge, a small cat tree and the tunnel, he will be very set.

Also recommended is a wand toy with feathers or leather ribbons. With cat toys try them out for durability.

And if you have higher end pet stores (not the frou frou boutiques) then you may want to pop in and see what they have.

Oh, also GREENIES for treats. They are nice quality, don't get hard to stale and help their teeth.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I never expected so much help! Thank you guys. ::) It will take me some time to go through all this, but I will get back as soon as I can. My #3 son came home from a road trip today, so want to visit a little. He said he would help me transfer the phone pics so I don't have to take more.

I really do appreciate all the suggestions. :appl:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to this discussion. Here's an idea I like if anyone he knows has an old ladder taking up space. And, it's pretty easy to buy stuff at home depot or other box store and make a simple tree or perch.

cat_tree.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If he's using regular litter for the cat, I recommend this litter box. It keeps the tracking down to a minimum, same with odor, is easily hosed down, and if the cat kicks (I always get the kickers) it just stays in the box.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1588538639304699916?q=litter+box+odor&biw=1002&bih=441&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.124272578,d.cGc&tch=1&ech=1&psi=MUheV5CxFsvwjwPqw4aYAw.1465796662152.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX8qGZj2Fas7Rar9tFL65_ZDZjanNeiERHkTJ7YjzGIvdfprMlJWGSqvT-3E8w4k5sFdgYSNRmakZZfER-Qb0hs8SWVOQU0u7T7FeN6gDxtMRh_-w8hIZAFPVH70LaZon6fSHBhDhvjx1nzj-IXrYqg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip8dqLpqTNAhUI4GMKHZRYAQoQ8wIIoQMwBA

Yes, it really is worth the extra 20 bucks for it. Alternately, buy an $8 storage bin and cut a hole in the top.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 4 cats, 3 adopted from shelters and one that someone dumped at my house. All of them love cat trees. I think the cat trees were the best investment ever, because the cats scratch them and the scratching post and leave the furniture alone. I got one of my cat trees mail order in 2003, and the other was bought at a local pet store in 2002. When the cats finally scratched the carpet off the uprights, I bought sisal rope and wrapped those posts in sisal and we went right on using the same old cat trees.

But what I've noticed over the past decade is that the trees sold in pet stores now are all miniaturized and not suitable for large cats. So, my suggestion is to search your local Craigslist and also the local Facebook fleamarket / buy-sell pages for someone who makes cat trees. There's a local guy where I live now who makes great big sturdy trees that he sells for $100 or so. The curved trays are "Sono Tubes" (sp?), concrete forms that can be bought at Home Depot and elsewhere. Flat shelves and the base are plywood. There are plans online for making your own cat trees, but sometimes it's not worth investing in tools and training just to build a one-off.

My cats seemed to *really like the big Sono Tube trays because they were impossible to fall out of while sleeping. Flat shelves were less popular. I never had a tree with an oval bed, so can't comment on that. The tallest perch on the tree was always the favored one and had the highest status. My cats would not usually share the cat trees because nobody wanted to be lower on the totem pole. They'd get on the tree together and play for a while, but the lower cat always hopped off when the game was over.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainy, thanks for posting the scratch lounge (and thanks to others who did also), I am definitely getting this. I asked him if the kitten seemed a vertical or horizontal scratcher and he felt horizontal. Interesting that your cats didn't use the "caves'. Thanks!

DAF, I looked at some reviews for that brand and they do definitely get great reviews. However, I am reading they won't ship anything taller than 40 inches, so that may be the one negative factor. But I am sending my son the link anyway. Thank you!

CJ, I would have never thought about not "catching" the laser, but it does make sense, thanks. Will definitely give son the link to that scratching post, it looks really nice.

Pinto, I am impressed you taught your cat tricks! Will be interesting to see if son does with Henry. I think he seems pretty smart from what little I've seen. When the new kitten got put in a bedroom with the door shut because he was attacking her, he was sitting outside the door looking underneath it, sniffing and putting his paws underneath it. Then he sat there for a second and looked right up at the doorknob, and then turned his head and looked back over his shoulder at me like, "wanna open this up?". ::)

cmd, funny you mentioned tooth cleaning. We were just discussing that and how some people on line say dry food helps keep teeth clean, to which others said that was dumb, do crackers keep our teeth clean? lol I grew up with a cat that lived to be 18 and I don't think her teeth were any worse for wear when she died. But I will pass on the tip for the chew toys. Thanks! And yeah, I don't think either of us saw that coming with the "reunion". We just thought (maybe stupidly), hey, they're sibs, they will be happy to see each other again! Wrong. And no way could my son have dealt with weeks of that. We were reading just a few days on line, and even that was more than he felt he could adequately handle.

CJ, great tip about plastic. Our last dog was like that. Can't tell you how many kids toys he got hold of. And rocks. Yes, he ate/swallowed rocks out of the beds in the front yard. I finally called the breeder and she said put hot sauce around the edges. Problem solved. lol Dumb dog. ;)) Henry is also showing a definite interest in power cords. So son is already trying to figure out what to put on them and how to make them less accessible. If you have the name of the stuff you use I would love to have it.

Thanks again all. I will try to get to the rest of these later on today. :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The litter box link doesn't work Gypsy-Opilio's a stand up pee-er so I'd be interested to see what you use. We've got two long/wide/tall Rubbermaid containers. She still pees over the side of those sometimes..dang cat gets up on her *tipppy toes* gah!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465822439|4043536 said:
The litter box link doesn't work Gypsy-Opilio's a stand up pee-er so I'd be interested to see what you use. We've got two long/wide/tall Rubbermaid containers. She still pees over the side of those sometimes..dang cat gets up on her *tipppy toes* gah!
The link is to a clever cat, which looks JUST like a rubbermaid container with a hole cut on top! I have one of these, and it's fantastic! I also have an extra large littermat underneath it which catches the balance of the litter that sticks to the kitties' toesies.

I also adore the litter genie!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat, too funny about stashing cereal and sponges! And great idea with packing peanuts, I have tons. Thank you!

Monarch, never even thought about growing catnip. Son has been wanting to plant something, there it is. Great idea, thanks.

And I actually was going to ask if all catnip is created equal, if anyone wants to weigh in.

marym, the tree you linked is actually the one I used for an example in my first post! Thanks for verifying it's a good one.

gypsy, it's really nice to see you weighing in. I knew you were a cat lover and would probably have lots of suggestions. Just wasn't sure you would be posting, so glad you did. ;))

For sure getting the scratch box and the leopard cat tunnel. Love that tunnel! I bought him a tiny crinkly toy and he does play with it so I think he will love this.

I like the idea of starting with a smaller tree, and son wants to go a bit smaller now anyway (after talking to him today) and build some wooden perches continuing up the wall.

He had a wand toy but the rope broke from the wand. Need to mend or get another. He really loves that thing.

All we have here are Petco's, nothing special. Will check into the greenies. And interesting concept on that litter box, will pass on to son.

Thank you for all the time and thought you put into all this Gypsy, I really do appreciate it.

Ada, good idea about searching on Craig's list. Thank you!

Matata, I LOVE that ladder idea. That would be so cheap if he could pick one up at a yard sale or find someone we know with one. Thanks for passing that on! He could always have one in living room and one in "his" room.

I got way more help than I expected, many thanks to all! :appl:

Son and I did not connect today, hopefully pics up by tomorrow.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I think PetCo sells these things: https://www.amazon.com/Meow-Town-Corrugated-Eco-Friendly-Scratcher/dp/B0040DL1V0

They're super cheap and when I had cats they loved those things.

Catnip is easy to grow, here's some good info on it: https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-catnip/

If you can't find plants this time of year (catnip should be planted earlier in Spring in zones 4-10), here's a good source for seeds:
http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Catnip_Heirloom_Herb_Seeds_p/catnip.htm

It's not all created equal. Some is hardier and better for landscaping. Others are a little more delicate and better for drying/teas, etc. It all requires a lot of light, so if you want to have it year-round, plant it in containers and get a grow light for the winter months.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1465822439|4043536 said:

The one I've used: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/clevercat-top-entry-litterbox?mr:trackingCode=8000EC15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=84602707693&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=aud-157111361100:pla-150562233613&mr:ploc=9032062&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=150562233613&cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY16_NB_CAT_SUPPLIES_GEN_PLA-_-Cat_All-_-92700009727146385&gclid=Cj0KEQjws_m6BRCv37WbtNmJs-IBEiQAWKKt0Nvndh-G426MpXlwtdVv6Cl648yw7CHqrvG9SdmIjOIaAjbV8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

More affordable version: http://www.petsupplies.com/item/petmate-top-entry-cat-litter-pan/406750/?srccode=GPPETSUP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp9008318&sc_intid=442027&gclid=Cj0KEQjws_m6BRCv37WbtNmJs-IBEiQAWKKt0L2TWFkKx-iTUTuYrRTqSCqBPnnaYDWNZcHJpeK56ssaAqlI8P8HAQ

Google Clevercat top entry litterbox.

We switched from regular litter to a pellet system a while back. It sucks for odor control and the pellets are on the "lego" pain scale if you step on them. But it is very easy to clean and change out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results