shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about White Gold quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bruceb916

Rough_Rock
So a friend was given a WG E-Ring from a B&M maul store in October. 5 months later, you can obviously see the white gold wearing away to show the yellow gold underneath? Is this a common problem? What would you do to correct the problem? Re-Dip? New setting?

Thanks

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
WG rings will usually need to be dipped at some point. How often depends on the ring itself as well as the ring wearer's body chemistry and how tough she is on the ring. The jeweler that sold the ring should be able to do it for her. It is a quick and easy process.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Mine is white gold, and i''ve had it dipped once. (I''ve had my e-ring for 3 years) It really does depend on the wearer''s body chemistry... If this keeps happening to her on a regular basis, perhaps platinum or palladium would be a better bet.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:35:29 PM
Author:bruceb916
So a friend was given a WG E-Ring from a B&M maul store in October. 5 months later, you can obviously see the white gold wearing away to show the yellow gold underneath?
It's actually the rhodium plating wearing away to show the white gold underneath.

White gold is not white in the way that people picture white gold, it is yellow tinted. The color the white gold has is from rhodium, which is used to plate it to make it "white."

Is this a common problem? What would you do to correct the problem? Re-Dip? New setting?
Re-dip.

Yes, it's common, but not a "problem." It is just the nature of white gold. The speed at which the plating wears off depends upon the wearer's body chemistry and the chemicals that it is exposed to (while cleaning, etc.).

Many people prefer platinum and/or palladium because of this, especially if their body chemistry tends to eat away rhodium plating faster than normal.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Reacts differently with everyone. My ring is over 4 yrs old and never once have I had to bring it in. I have WG rings that are 20 yr old and they are still very white

DentD

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:53:50 PM
Author: musey
Date: 2/17/2009 7:35:29 PM

Author:bruceb916
Many people prefer platinum and/or palladium because of this, especially if their body chemistry tends to eat away rhodium plating faster than normal.

My WG E ring is made with Stuller''s X-1 WG alloy instead of normal white gold. I did have problems with rhodium plating on my old setting, so this was an inexpensive alternative to platinum for me. It''s not as super white as normal rhodium plated white gold but it is still lovely.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dent, I don''t know what alloy you''re referencing. Do you know anything further about it?

I''m a big fan of unplated palladium white gold, personally. It''s white, but it has just a touch of warmth to it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Musey,
I believe there has been disccusions about the Stuller X-1 metal some time back on PS when it first came out. It is supposedly whiter and would not need rhodium plating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results