shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Vera Wang Morganite - durable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I''ve fallen in love with a vera wang setting with a pink morganite in it. I don''t know anything about morganite though-could someone tell me if it is durable as an engagement ring that would be worn every day? Can it be steam cleaned? (one woman in the vera wang store was wearing it and it looked so dirty!) I might get a custom version one with bigger pave too.

Thanks for your help. Here''s a picture-it''s on the bottom right and top left.

veraring.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmm....for everyday I''d probably look for a harder stone....sapphire or spinel can be had in lovely soft pinks..

You might try doing a search here on Vera Wang...it seems like remember that some people have had trouble with their fragility...not sure.

widget

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
I don''t know anything about morganite though-could someone tell me if it is durable as an engagement ring that would be worn every day? Can it be steam cleaned?
Morganite is the pink variety of the gem species beryl. Emerald is the queen of the group and aquamarine the princess. Since morganite is usually clean (free of major internal flaws) it is generally not as vulnerable to damage as emerald, but as an engagement ring to be worn everyday it is not a great choice. Beryl is between 7.5 and 8 on the hardness scale. Pink sapphire at 9 would be a good alternative and can be found in pastel shades at very good prices.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies! I guess I''ll start my sapphire search. I''m all ver the place as far as what I want, but I know either a diamond or something pink and shiny!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
shinythings,
I too have tried on this ring and I think it is just gorgeous!!!!

However, my humble opinion....

I am not a 'name' person when it comes to jewelry, so I would custom make it and probably go with a pink sapph or something else. This was totally overpriced, in my opinion. It was listed at $4050 at Mann's Jewelers, I store in Rochester, NY.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Sophie-the one I tried on was around $4000 also-way overpriced for a morganite. But for anyone who must have the vera wang ring, they have a smaller, 2.8 ct version from this website that i found for $2300 (I''ve don''t know anything about this particular jeweler though)

http://www.lussori.com/-2001341.html#

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

Another thing to keep in mind is that most morganite is quite pale--almost closer to being a "suggestion" of pink rather than really "pink." Moderately saturated examples do exist, but those are the most expensive.

Sapphire, by contrast--in addition to being far more durable--comes in the full spectrum of pale pink to deep red, and the lighter shades are quite reasonably priced.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/17/2006 4:02:01 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

Another thing to keep in mind is that most morganite is quite pale--almost closer to being a 'suggestion' of pink rather than really 'pink.' Moderately saturated examples do exist, but those are the most expensive.

Sapphire, by contrast--in addition to being far more durable--comes in the full spectrum of pale pink to deep red, and the lighter shades are quite reasonably priced.

Sapphire's don't come in deep red per se' as a deep red corundum is a ruby.
1.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
well and as you all know, I would put A deep raspberry rhodolite garnet in it...hehehe

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2006 9:46:02 PM
Author: C Smith

Sapphire's don't come in deep red per se' as a deep red corundum is a ruby.
1.gif
Semantics.
9.gif

The people who sell morganite for years were trying to get it people to call it "pink emerald," as were the red beryl guys with "red emerald."
20.gif

The ICA thinks we should do away with "pink sapphire" and call all red corundum, regardless of saturation, "ruby."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results