shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about upgrading diamond studs

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! I have a pair of studs -tcw is .9, from Blue nile. They are beautiful and sparkly but i have huge earlobes and i was thinking of upgrading for my upcoming birthday. Would a size jump to 1.4 tcw be noticeable? Also is it worth a $1400 difference? I know this isnt enough info so ive listed the GIA numbers of my current studs and my prospective studs below. Thanks for your help! I followed hca parameters but wasnt looking for perfect diamonds, just wanted some sparkle on my ears.

Current

Prospective

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it will give the coverage you want, even though you are going from .45 to .7 each approx. Yes, they will be bigger, but maybe not enough to make you happy. What mm size do you think would provide the coverage you are looking for? I'm basing this off the very large earlobe comment.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Heres a terrible pic.of my current studs (0.45 ct each)
20200705_171048.jpg

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it will give the coverage you want, even though you are going from .45 to .7 each approx. Yes, they will be bigger, but maybe not enough to make you happy. What mm size do you think would provide the coverage you are looking for? I'm basing this off the very large earlobe comment.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, i think you may be right but i cant afford the jump to even bigger stones right now. Im not sure what mm size would give me the coverage i want, I quite like these current studs just go back and forth on whether they are even everydsy size. Since we purchased through blue nile, upgrading is an option later as well. It seems like a pretty good price for this set so i was just hoping to get as much input as i can.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Here's a picture with me wearing .80 each on the left and .65 on the right, if this helps any to get an idea of the .70 each.

WF.80&.65.jpg

Thank you for this! Stunning earrings! I can definitely tell a difference here

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about getting a pair of CZ studs to figure out what size you really want?

When you do that, if you go that route, I would make sure that you make note of whatever millimeter size the stones are.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think the new pair will give you a little bit more coverage, but probably not as much as you would like in the perfect world. How about bezeling either the new ones or the current ones? Or getting a halo/jacket?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts on this, i think you may be right but i cant afford the jump to even bigger stones right now. Im not sure what mm size would give me the coverage i want, I quite like these current studs just go back and forth on whether they are even everydsy size. Since we purchased through blue nile, upgrading is an option later as well. It seems like a pretty good price for this set so i was just hoping to get as much input as i can.

I think you have to spend double each time you upgrade at Blue Nile. I could be wrong but I believe that that is the policy. If you think you might want bigger diamonds, you might just want to wait until you have a little bit more saved or in the budget, because the next incremental size would require a double spend, If I am remembering right.

Here’s what I would do to help you nail down on the size you want - do you have a way of measuring very, very small sizes accurately? Like callipers to help you draw and cut out the size from a piece of paper?

If yes, I would take the measurement of your prospective studs (according to charts online it should come in somewhere around 5.6mm) and draw a circle of that size. And then cut it out and literally stick it to your ear with some tape. That will help you envision the size on your ear compared to your 0.45s.

If you’re happy with the size that’s great! If not, then you should weigh up what alternatives you’re comfortable with - waiting till you can get bigger stones, going down in color/clarity, getting a different shape (longer shapes like ovals and emerald cuts will cover more of your ear), get halo/double halo jackets...

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Do you have long hair? I do and face framing layers hide studs - no matter the size.
I didn’t have the budget to go to 1.5 to 2 ct so I decided to add jackets. I also like the option of changing out the diamond studs and wearing a gemstone earring like say sapphires.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'll look into jackets and trying to figure out which size would look good in my lobes. I was very tempted to make the jump and pick these up, since these were priced so well and would meet my upgrade requirements, but I decided to hold off because my husband had to take a pay cut because of the pandemic. Im just grateful that we are safe and healthy. I will keep browsing though i cant help window shopping! Stay safe everyone!

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'll look into jackets and trying to figure out which size would look good in my lobes. I was very tempted to make the jump and pick these up, since these were priced so well and would meet my upgrade requirements, but I decided to hold off because my husband had to take a pay cut because of the pandemic. Im just grateful that we are safe and healthy. I will keep browsing though i cant help window shopping! Stay safe everyone!

Hi there!! I wanted to chime in on your journey but preface that I’m no expert. I‘ve just initiated an upgrade through BN and it’s been a real pain in the ass. I’m going from .50 tcw E, SI1 to 1.14 ctw I SI1. This time around, I used the HCA tool to make sure my new, larger pair are in fact ideal cut. My first pair, even though “excellent” from BN, were terrible and rated poorly on HCA now that I’ve learned how to evaluate them.

I feel like I had to make some concessions because of money, that’s always a hard pill to swallow. My husband, too, just took a pretty big pay cut due to the pandemic.
but somewhere I had to draw the line. I wanted size and sparkle so I sacrificed color (though I’m assured an I this well cut will face up whiter than I think) . My advice is to figure out exactly what you wany and what you can live without. Then go get whatever it is you’d like. You’ll have to spend twice as much on your new stones vs. your old stones(less cost of setting).

wishing you the best and can’t wait to see where you wind up!!!

Reactions: Kya
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results