shape
carat
color
clarity

question about uncut garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CarolinaTree

Rough_Rock
I''ve got a 500 or so carat garnet that I found in NC,USA. I''ve been quoted at 15$ per carat to cut. I''m curious to know if anyone has a median or general pricing for this. I didn''t take the offer since I haven''t ''shopped'' around. Just looking for a little info.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

If you're thinking of having your 500 carat garnet cut as a single stone I have bad news for you. Red garnets in the pyrope and almandine species, including mixtures of the two like Cowee Creek, N.C. rhodolite, are almost always too dark in tone to yield bright and lively stones even under 5 carats finished size. It's impossible to say for certain without seeing your stone of course, but dark-toned garnets have always been frustrating for cutters. Of course maybe you're just looking for a specimen stone.

Maybe you're thinking of sectioning the stone and cutting smaller stones from it -- a good idea if it's of gem quality. There are many things to consider other than tone like desirable color, clarity, etc. A 500 carat rough would probably require special faceting equipment. It would probably be too large for most machines I’m familiar with. Finding someone to cut it into a single stone at .15 a carat would be an amazing bargain in my opinion.

Richard M.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
When it comes to cutting you usualy get what you pay for.
I would be a little wary of someone that just said $15 ct without knowing exackly what you wanted and the material if thats the case find someone else.
The material and the shape you want can have a huge effect on how long it takes to cut it.

Also is the $15 finished or rough weight?
Iv seen it priced both ways.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Wow, did I ever misread the faceting cost on this! I read it as fifteen CENTS a carat, not $15. Mea culpa. It would require a world class quality garnet to be worth anywhere from $4,500 to $7,500 in cutting costs!

Richard M.

CarolinaTree

Rough_Rock
Well, I assumed that the rock would be cut into a single smallish stone, not a large one. Although that would be cool if it was clear, but I doubt that's gonna happen. 15$ a carat still seemed too much. I've seen some garnet jewelry and it's not expensive. So, anyway, what is a good price to get a good stone (maybe) out of my rock? Or is that too hard to judge without really seeing the rock?

DCP_1117.JPG

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi C.T.,

That's a nice BIG garnet. It appears to be almandine. I think it's a great specimen and worth a lot more uncut than cut. Why don't you hang on to it as a cabinet specimen or conversation-piece paperweight while you search out a smaller gemmy garnet for cutting?

North Carolina produces fine ones along with other such prizes as ruby and sapphire, emerald (fine big ones near Hiddenite but all on well-guarded private property -- there may be undiscovered deposits elsewhere) and lots of other fine stones. Beware of the "dig your own gems" places that are so popular there. Most of them "salt" their buckets with low-quality stones from other places around the world and charge a fortune for cutting them.

Most of the inexpensive garnets you see are cut overseas in low-wage countries. It takes a cutter here in the U.S. about as long to cut a garnet as a more valuable stone and everyone has to charge by the hour, right? If you start with a smaller stone and can have it cut for $15/ct. finished weight, that's a bargain, assuming the cutting is well done. Most shops I know of will charge a lot more for the job. It would even be a good deal if your were charged that rate at the uncut weight, say 3 ct. for $45.

HTH,
Richard M.

CarolinaTree

Rough_Rock
;o) I really like it uncut. I'm kinda fond of rocks. LOL This is the first time I've ever had one worth anything at all. I really appreciate the information.

Orissa

Rough_Rock
YOU HAVE 500 CTS GARNET , IT IS ROUGH OR FACETED ?, 1PC IS 500 CTS OR MANY MANY PCS ARE 500 CTS ??? WHAT'S COLOR ?? DARK OR LIGHT COLOR?? ,YOU QUOTED 15 $ PER CTS FOR CUTTING OR AFTER CUTTING STONES VALUE 15 $ PER CTS ????

,WITHOUT DETAILS YOU CAN GET YOUR INFORMATION
1.gif

Orissa

Rough_Rock
SORRY : FOR TYPING MISTAKE

WITHOUT FINAL DETAILS YOU CAN NOT YOUR INFORMATION
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results