shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Trillions

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Soooo, I was chatting with my jeweller yesterday about diamond side stones. I said I liked trillions and trapezoids.

He told me in no uncertain terms to not consider trillions at all because the slightest amount of dirt affects their brilliance more than any other cut :-o

I have never heard that before. I know that the performance of all diamonds and gemstones is affected when they are dirty. Certainly Ideal cut diamonds seem handle the dirt a bit better and still manage to do their sparkle thing but overall dirt and grease impacts similarly on all diamond cuts. At least, that's what I thought.

If he is right - what is the cause? Are trillions generally badly cut? Is the shape that stops refraction? I did say "what about brilliant cut traps then - they are the same'ish shape with the bottom lopped off". No he said they are fine - they perform better.

I would love to hear opinions, please.

:)

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
772165 500635

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Seems illogical to me that one particular cut is harder to clean. I think that's entirely up to the setting, and given a lot of trillions end up as side stones, I can see how it might be harder to keep them clean depending on setting... Hmmm...

heather625

Rough_Rock
Never had an issue with sparkle or cleaning in 28 years

Attachments

• PXL_20201126_030953734.jpg
    PXL_20201126_030953734.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 14

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I would love to hear opinions, please. ...

What he said makes no sense.

I suspect he just doesn't have a source for them, or something.
IOW, he's being dishonest.

I'd find another jeweler.

Starfacet Jewelry

Rough_Rock
Trade
"Are trillions generally badly cut?" With all shapes, there are some good cuts and some duds. Perhaps your jeweler has only seen the dud variety, and therefore he personally dislikes them. I have a couple of rings with trillions and they sparkle plenty and don't seem to be exceptionally difficult to keep clean.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What he said makes no sense.

I suspect he just doesn't have a source for them, or something.
IOW, he's being dishonest.

I'd find another jeweler.

Yeah - that’s what I thought. Thanks @kenny.

lillibear

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert but I did a google search and several articles did state that trillions need to be cleaned more because they have less depth and dirt will dim the sparkle and brilliance.

KB0708

Rough_Rock
Soooo, I was chatting with my jeweller yesterday about diamond side stones. I said I liked trillions and trapezoids.

He told me in no uncertain terms to not consider trillions at all because the slightest amount of dirt affects their brilliance more than any other cut :-o

I have never heard that before. I know that the performance of all diamonds and gemstones is affected when they are dirty. Certainly Ideal cut diamonds seem handle the dirt a bit better and still manage to do their sparkle thing but overall dirt and grease impacts similarly on all diamond cuts. At least, that's what I thought.

If he is right - what is the cause? Are trillions generally badly cut? Is the shape that stops refraction? I did say "what about brilliant cut traps then - they are the same'ish shape with the bottom lopped off". No he said they are fine - they perform better.

I would love to hear opinions, please.

:)

I love my trillions sides. That being said, in certain lighting (low light), they tend to go dark on the side while my center cushion seems to almost glow from within. This could also be a result of the angle. My center 145466D4-183D-4C01-B38E-B8D27D6A7B22.jpeg must make its own light lol... in most light settings it’s fine. I do clean my ring in dawn and hot water probably once every three days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results