shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about traveling with diamond

300GCP

Rough_Rock
I am going to France for two weeks in early July. I am concerned about bringing my engagement ring with me. God forbid something were to happen, do insurers typically give a harder time if a ring was lost or stolen while traveling abroad? I am debating whether it is just wiser to leave it at home.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely check with your insurance company. While traveling, I would never take the ring off except to clean it (which I do not do at home. I don't sleep or shower, etc. with my rings on.). Some people do feel more comfortable leaving valuable jewelry at home, but it is a shame not to be able to enjoy wearing your new e-ring on your trip! I'd wear it as long as the insurance is clear that it is covered anywhere.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305815628|2925657 said:
I would absolutely check with your insurance company. While traveling, I would never take the ring off except to clean it (which I do not do at home. I don't sleep or shower, etc. with my rings on.). Some people do feel more comfortable leaving valuable jewelry at home, but it is a shame not to be able to enjoy wearing your new e-ring on your trip! I'd wear it as long as the insurance is clear that it is covered anywhere.

Ditto. I wear my ring travelling but never take it off. It is insured with a stand alone policy through Jewelers Mutual, which covers it against loss or damage worldwide (I believe ::) I have not travelled outside N.Am with it so have not 100% verified my coverage in Europe).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1305817501|2925670 said:
diamondseeker2006|1305815628|2925657 said:

Ditto. I wear my ring travelling but never take it off. It is insured with a stand alone policy through Jewelers Mutual, which covers it against loss or damage worldwide (I believe ::) I have not travelled outside N.Am with it so have not 100% verified my coverage in Europe).

I have, and I checked and double-checked this before I went anywhere - JM will cover Europe.

300GCP

Rough_Rock
Since my ring is getting a new diamond (today!) it is not presently insured. I will insure it as soon as I get it back and get it appraised. I was planning to insure with JM, because I insured jewelery with them in the past at the recommendation of an independent appraiser, although I never had to file a claim.

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
300GCP|1305815013|2925648 said:
I am going to France for two weeks in early July. I am concerned about bringing my engagement ring with me. God forbid something were to happen, do insurers typically give a harder time if a ring was lost or stolen while traveling abroad? I am debating whether it is just wiser to leave it at home.
There are two scenarios you are touching on. Lost and stolen.

I was the victim of theft in England about 10 years ago. I called AmEx immediately and reported my card stolen and the agent I reached told me to file a police report with the local authorities IMMEDIATELY and document everything I knew to be taken and to have one copy mailed to my home and to keep another with me.

BLESS THAT AMEX EMPLOYEE!

Because if I had returned home and filed a claim it would have very likely been denied for the lack of a proper police report since it was theft. My agent was visibily relieved when I shared that I had a police report.

Now, if I had simply lost it, that would not have been the case.

Just having coverage (mine extends worldwide EXCEPT where US Travelers are discouraged from traveling by the Dept of Homeland Security...and maybe one other agency, but I do not travel where advisories have been issued, regardless of agency) isn't enough. You have you understand your responsibility in the event of needing to file a claim.

FWIW, I always travel with my core jewelry and when my jewel case was stolen, that was awful, but my husband reminded me that it was just rock mined from the earth and pearls pulled from the sea and none of it was irreplaceable and that it is better to have the enjoyment of it than to hide it away in a box at home because of 'what might'. Those were powerful words that I am thankful to have had him say. And I love that our photos from all over the world clearly show my core jewelry pieces and not a bare hand, wrist, neck or ear.

Enjoy France!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results