Color: G
Clarity: Si1
Measurements: 6.89-6.86x4.30mm
Depth 62.5%
Cut Grade: EGL Ideal Plus
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: Faint Blue
There is nothing eye visible (that I can see). Inclusions visible under 10x, nothing too dramatic or dark.

I have been offered this stone for $6,600. Does this seem like a good price? I understand there are differences between GIA, EGL, etc, and am feeling a bit overwhelmed on the specs. I would appreciate well educated opinions on this stone and price. Also, please let me know if any other information is needed.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much too cheap for it to be a well cut 1.2c G SI1 if graded by GIA/AGS, something is seriously off unless it is sold in the private.

Post all the proportions, angles of the stone. I want to see how well cut is an EGL 'Ideal' Plus.

rickmac81

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is an EGL USA. The prices can vary quite a bit, from what I gather.

This is a friendly deal from a jeweler

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still not going to be friendly enough to even go below cost price of the stone, if this is really a G SI1.

Cut not really the best from the numbers available. Try it yourself, use the angles, it is more accurate input for the HCA.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
No, it does not look like a deal. Here's a search I just did of comparable stones (well, by comparable I mean, EGL graded, similar size, same color and clarity as rated by EGL):
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/42571

Be aware that EGL stones are not consistently graded and are also graded soft. You have no idea what you are getting. Before you purchase it would be a good idea to have an appraiser look at the stone. There is a reason you can't find a GIA or AGS stone of comparable size/color/clarity for the same size- because EGL is misrepresenting what the stone is. Don't be fooled. You aren't going to game the system.... the jeweler knows exactly what he has and is selling the stone in the way that will garner him the biggest profit.

sarahharris

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is a really low price. A good deal on that kind of diamond is usually around $4k-$5k more. I'm not really sure why it would be so cheap unless they aren't being honest about something in the certificate. If you can buy it and return it easily, then buy it, have it appraised elsewhere, and go from there.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the pric,e I would estimate this stone to be a I-J SI2 if it was sent to GIA or AGS. Not a good deal at all when looked at that perspective.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rickmac81|1311180855|2973059 said:
Yes, it is an EGL USA. The prices can vary quite a bit, from what I gather.

This is a friendly deal from a jeweler
the jeweler's only friend is :$$): .. ;))

rickmac81

Rough_Rock
So I took the stone to a GIA certified appraiser. She has classified the stone, by her (GIA) standards as an H color, Si1. Eye clean, multiple minor inclusions. When I put the values into the HCA, it comes out as a 4.9- Good if cost is concern, with "good" ratings for the fire, etc.

With this information now in hand, is $6,600 fair? It is 1.27 carat.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Listen, the HCA is a rejection tool. You use it to reject stones that are not good performers. When searching, you are suggested to eliminate stones that score over 2. This stone is not a good performer. You'd be better to go slightly lower in size and/or color to get a well-performing stone- after all, the performance is what makes a diamond sparkle and have life.

Asking here what is a "fair" price on that stone- most PSers would say $0, because that's what they'd be willing to pay for a stone with those numbers. Here, cut is king, and a well-cut stone, this isn't.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyway-to-quantify-how-much-bigger-exellent-cut-diamonds-look-compared-to-fair-cut.145748/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyway-to-quantify-how-much-bigger-exellent-cut-diamonds-look-compared-to-fair-cut.145748/[/URL]

What is your budget?

rickmac81

Rough_Rock
My budget is roughly 10k for the entire ring, stone and setting.

I have a hard time understanding the HCA, but pointing out that it is a rejection tool helps. I took a few of the pricier GIA diamonds listed on the search tool here, and even some of those higher rated stones came out with mediocre HCA scores.

I redid the HCA using the angles it came back as 4.7, with Good for light return, fire, and scintillation, and Very Good for spread. That would seem to be acceptable, but a 4.7 is a bad score?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results