shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about stones fitting in settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so I''m SURE this has been covered many times before, but after doing SEVERAL searches and looking FOREVER, I can''t find what I''m looking for. Here''s my question: I have a setting that takes a 6mm x 6mm square shape center stone. I''m wondering what is the MAX difference from that that you are really able to do. For example, could you use a 5.96 x 6.01? Or does it have to be within so many .0? mm?? Right now I''ve got a princess sapphire in there, but I''m thinking of replacing it with another sapphire (with more brilliance) or even a radiant-cut diamond...unfortunately, in the color(s) I like, many times, these aren''t exactly square (or exactly 6x6mm if they are square), especially in radiants.

I know I should probably ask a jeweler, but before I did anything more than search around and look, I thought I''d find out from here if anyone knew how much difference you really could do inside of a setting.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

-Rachel

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What I have been told is it is easier to mount a slightly smaller stone in a setting than a slightly larger stone. It does have to be pretty close or the prongs cover up more of the stone than usual.Sometimes they can replace the head on a mounting that will fit the new stone.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This is what I was told by a ring setter:

Bezel (has the tightest allowances) = +/- 0.1mm
Pave = +/- 0.2mm
Prong (widest allowances) = +/- 0.3-0.4mm

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Thank you SO very much to both of you!! :)

-Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results